My girlfriend's is eligible for an upgrade in a week on her Verizon contract which she desperately needs due to the fact her LG Chocolate is barely holding together.

She loves my Bold, but God knows when Verizon will actually get it. So basically she has it narrowed down to the Pink Curve(of course) or the Storm. She's not overly crazy about the touch screen but likes a lot of the features that it has. However, she's a big texter (what girl isn't) so the keyboard/pink color of the curve is great for her.

Me personally, I hate buying outdated technology especially when something new is around the corner. Whatever phone she gets she will have for the next 2 years.

What are some of the pro's and cons of each.
    01-13-09 12:53 AM
    the storm has a lot of problems right now because it is brand new.... i personally dont want the storm b.c it has no keyboard... i like touch screens and had the lg voyager. it is an awesome phone, but more often then not i opened the device and used the keyboard b/c the screen has a lag to it and it is easier to feel the keys under your hands.
    01-13-09 12:58 AM
    Well the storm is touchscreen and the curve has a real keyboard. Really depends on what you think she would like more

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 12:59 AM
    also, verizon has the 30-day guaranty thingie.. get the storm and if she doesnt like it she can take it back and get the curve.
    Last edited by chelseytx; 01-13-09 at 03:46 PM.
    01-13-09 01:00 AM
    Have her go and mess around with both to see what she is more comfortable keeping for two years. What I may think is a "con" (the touchscreen) others may consider a "pro". She is the only one that can really answer that.
    01-13-09 01:04 AM
    Curve - solid and proven performer

Storm - you are basically paying YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY to
    essentially beta test a handset.

I'd go with the Curve. The Storm has way too many issues to make it
    a viable option (IMO). And then there is the whole touchscreen thing.
    01-13-09 01:12 AM
    Buy your girlfriend a used Curve (in good condition of course), so she can save her upgrade pricing for the CDMA versions of the Bold and 8900.
    01-13-09 01:50 AM
    Try them both. Decide which phone you prefer. Buy that phone.

I may be one of the few people on these forums who actually loves the Storm (sadly I am chained to Sprint and have to wait until we get some RIM love)
    01-13-09 01:52 AM
    Rumor has it, that the CMDA Bold will be arriving to VZW around May, but you know how that goes. Certainly it won't be any earlier than that. Pearl (pink of course) bought used might also be a good fit for her. From using the suretype on my Storm, I have really grown to like it, it's VERY good at figuring out what you are typing. The used curve sounds like a good option too, either way she can hold her upgrade off till the CMDA Bold (Niagra???) comes out.
    01-13-09 10:44 AM
    Storm - you are basically paying YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY to essentially beta test a handset.
    QFMFT!
    01-13-09 10:46 AM
    Curve - solid and proven performer

Storm - you are basically paying YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY to
    essentially beta test a handset.

I'd go with the Curve. The Storm has way too many issues to make it
    a viable option (IMO). And then there is the whole touchscreen thing.
    agree. skip the drama and get the curve!
    01-13-09 10:47 AM
    Yeah, go with the Curve. I am really not liking the issues that others are reporting with the Storm right now. Although, there are few users of the Storm who are quite happy with the device. I would probably poke around in some Storm threads and see the overall consensus.
    01-13-09 10:49 AM
    Apples and Bannanas!

Apples and Bannanas!

The Curve is the Time Tested Device! It Gets the Job Done!

The Storm is the Cutting Edge Device that lets you experience a full touchscreen while still having a BlackBerry "Experience".

The Storm has some hiccups that are manageable until they are fixed. (This is Subjective, Yes I know.)

The Curve Lets you hit the Ground Running with Email and Text- It takes little to no bonding time to get the Hang of the Device.

The Storm on the other hand is like watching a baby birds first flight, it's awkward.

You really need to go the extra mile to bond with this device and learn to love it. It's very touchy, and you will need to learn the in's and out's of how to work it.

From Turning it from Portrait to Landscape, to Typing and Navigating.

In the end, You have to Ask yourself, Do You Want to Invest that amount of effort?
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 01-13-09 at 12:18 PM.
    01-13-09 12:13 PM
    I think it would depend on what she uses the phone for. I tried and tried to talk my girlfriend into getting the pink Curve back when I got my Curve, but she insisted on the Pearl and it has done what she wanted it to do.

Keep in mind, if she has any intentions of using GPS then the Curve will only support VZNav. Where as the Storm can use any GPS app, Like Nav4All or Trapster. The Storm may prove to be frustrating to her though. There will be the occasional battery pull, it's just part of it.

As far as typing goes, I much prefer typing on my Storm than I did my Curve. However, typing on my girlfriends Pearl, really isn't all that bad. Maybe you should consider the Pearl?

Buy your girlfriend a used Curve (in good condition of course), so she can save her upgrade pricing for the CDMA versions of the Bold and 8900.
    ^^^I agree with this post however - Pink Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330 Cell Phone w/ Extras - eBay (item 370142979300 end time Jan-13-09 18:30:00 PST)
    Last edited by freebirds87; 01-13-09 at 12:22 PM.
    01-13-09 12:18 PM
    she's a big texter (what girl isn't) so the keyboard/pink color of the curve is great for her.
    Curve is rock solid, as already stated above, and has a full keyboard. This is very nice for texting. The Storm, as stated above, is more 'cutting edge' and you are not going to have as stable of an OS for sure.

For a not-very-tech-savvy person, the Curve is 100% the way to go. More stable, solid, tried and true, lots of accessories out for it, large user base to answer all questions, etc.

If she is all about having a really good browsing experience, the Storm will give you that big screen as a major bonus. If she is not planning on browsing all that much on her phone, there is no way I would recommend she get a Storm (IMO).
    01-13-09 12:24 PM
    Bought the Storm 3 weeks ago, just returned it today to get the Curve 8330. The storm was great, awesome screen, etc...but my 3 problems:

- dust under screen
    - keyboard not as fast, plus you have to look while typing
    - sluggish (although OS upgrade might help that)
    01-13-09 12:33 PM
    ...Keep in mind, if she has any intentions of using GPS then the Curve will only support VZNav. Where as the Storm can use any GPS app, Like Nav4All or Trapster...
    You can also use BlackBerry Maps on the Curve (and Pearl) now, so that's a decent free alternative
    01-13-09 03:13 PM
    I'd suggest doing what others have said. I returned my Storm and bought a cheap (185) very good condition Curve on eBay. I'm now waiting for the Bold/Niagara.
    01-13-09 03:40 PM
    Curve > Storm
    01-13-09 03:45 PM
    I talked to her about it and she wants the Curve.

Does anyone have an approximate date when the new Curve 8930 is coming to Verizon. I've heard numerous different times.
    01-14-09 11:54 PM

Does anyone have an approximate date when the new Curve 8930 is coming to Verizon. I've heard numerous different times.
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    01-14-09 11:58 PM
    My girlfriend's is eligible for an upgrade in a week on her Verizon contract which she desperately needs due to the fact her LG Chocolate is barely holding together.

She loves my Bold, but God knows when Verizon will actually get it. So basically she has it narrowed down to the Pink Curve(of course) or the Storm. She's not overly crazy about the touch screen but likes a lot of the features that it has. However, she's a big texter (what girl isn't) so the keyboard/pink color of the curve is great for her.

Me personally, I hate buying outdated technology especially when something new is around the corner. Whatever phone she gets she will have for the next 2 years.

What are some of the pro's and cons of each.
    My personal best is the Blackberry storm.

Not only it is the RIM's first all-touchscreen keyboard-free smartphone
    but also comes with HTC Touch HD Screen, 184-pixel-per-inch stunner could be the best screen on the market.

You can have a look at the review of BlackBerry Storm review for BlackBerry 9530.

www convert-video-dvd com/tutorial/blackberry-storm-review.html
    01-15-09 12:18 AM

If, as you stated in your original post, her current LG phone is "barely holding together," you will not be able to wait for the CDMA Javelin. It isn't coming out that soon.
    01-15-09 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD