First of all, I already used search, but for some reason couldn't find the results I wanted. So I thought I'd ask.

I will very shortly be getting my first Berry. I'm really picky about my devices and I like to dip my toes before I leap, per se.

I was wondering, when comparing the two devices (Pearl/Curve), does the Curve seem much bigger? I thought it would be, but then looking at the specs a while back, I realized the size isn't that different. About .4 inches. Is it really noticeable?

Second question involves battery life. I've heard that CDMA has poorer battery life than GSM, though I can't remember where I read that so I can't confirm. I use Verizon and there is no doubt I'll still be on it when I get my Berry. Can we even estimate, based on GSM benchmarks, the difference between battery life on the Pearl and Curve? I know the Curve isn't quite here yet for Verizon, but if anybody knew based on Telus or Bell, it would be lovely to hear!

I was really set on the Pearl (mostly due to the whole 'being stuck on Verizon' thing) for a long time, but then I started to really think about it, and I wasn't sure if I wanted a Pearl or a Curve, since the Curve has such huge hype. There's also the fact that everywhere I go now, everyone has a Pearl it seems, and having one of the few Curves in the area would really be cool.

Sort of a random jumble of stuff. But your comments/answers would be greatly appreciated.
    04-13-08 12:03 AM
    curve is definitely wider

i believe battery is based on your usage?
    04-13-08 12:06 AM
    The Curve is bigger than the Pearl but that doesn't mean its a huge phone. I think it is actually a really good size AND shape for a phone. I find most phones are too narrow (like my old RAZR) and I end up holding them with just my fingers. The Curve rests nicely in my entire hand and I have a firm grip on it. Personally, I think it's the best size/shape for a phone.

The Curve also fits real nicely in my pant pocket or even shirt pocket. You'll also like the full keyboard and larger screen. If I were you I would wait for the Verizon Curve to come out shortly. Actually, I switched to AT&T because I couldn't wait. Plus their plans are cheaper and I like their phones much better. And their service has been comparable actually. I'm hoping the 9000 comes out on AT&T first and I'll probably fork over the money to upgrade!

As for battery life. I've been playing with my Curve all day: tons of surfing the web, emailing, IMing, minimal calling, GoogleMaps streaming, just exploring the features, I estimate about 5-6 hours of continuous use. I would say that I'm using it much more than 'normal', excessively almost and I'm now just finally charging it. It also seems to charge really quick. An hour or so and I'm ready to go again. I ordered the ever so popular charging dock off this site so I'm sure running out of juice will not be an issue with easy daily charging.

I remember being just like you a month ago and it was only a matter of time before I got my Curve. I don't regret it one bit and wish I did it sooner! Hope this helps!
    Last edited by chairguru22; 04-13-08 at 12:26 AM.
    04-13-08 12:16 AM
    The Curve fits really nicely in my palm - which I love since the Pearl felt way too small for me. Just like chairguru22 said, the Curve provides a good grip for easy typing.
    04-13-08 12:22 AM
    Well, I'm coming from a RAZR, so being too narrow isn't a problem. I actually enjoy the size of my RAZR, just despise how terrible it has been.

I'm really swaying and it all depends on when I go in for my new phone. It's not really up to me (contract is still tied to the 'rents, you see) when we go in, but just ANY BERRY! PLEASE! No more RAZR!
    04-13-08 12:24 AM
    The curve fits pretty well in the palm of your hand, while the pearl is a little smaller, but the pearl keyboard looks more confusing.
    I wanted the pearl as well but I went for the curve instead because of the full qwerty keyboard.

I don't know much about battery life, but I think my battery life sucks on the curve, but that's because I use it a lot. I play games and text nonstop. I still expect it to last longer. I dont know
    04-13-08 12:27 AM
    My Verizon RAZR is still tied to the 'rents family plan actually. I just decided to sign up for my own AT&T plan with the Curve. So I actually have two phones at the moment until the Verizon contract runs up in November. I just wish there was a way to switch my number over without fees.
    04-13-08 12:29 AM
    Technically you can have them transfer it for free. There's no necessary cost to my knowledge. If you twist their arms a bit, I bet you could have them transfer.

I'm far too broke to manage my own cell phone plan as of yet. Right now I'm enjoying family share minutes (I don't really talk on the phone) and unlimited texting (I do this lots ) If it were up to me, I'd be using T-Mobile or AT&T, but we only JUST got AT&T up here where I live, and that was only when they bought Cell One. The iPhones are just starting to infiltrate.
    04-13-08 12:45 AM
    Hi,
    I came from the Razr, and wanted a Berry, due to my son being deployed.
    I needed 24/7 phone - email access. I ordered a Pearl thinking the size would
    be perfect, for me, a gal.. However, the day I got it, took it to work and
    was talking to a coworker that started with a Pearl and went to a Curve.
    I asked to hold her Curve and check it out. Well, that is all she wrote,
    the minute I held that sweet Curve,, I took my Pearl back and exchanged it
    for the Curve and NEVER looked back. I love the Curve, my battery power
    is superb, and am addicted to this crazy phone, like no other.
    Just my 2cents.

Good Luck!
    04-13-08 09:43 AM
    I love my Curve. For me the Pearl is a bit thick. This maybe my imagination but it is. I don't like the keyboard on the Pearl, personally, I prefer the full QWERTY keyboard. I like the larger screen as well. They are slightly wider than the Pearl as you stated but, for me, this just makes it more functional and easier to use. As for battery life mine usually lasts all day, if not slightly longer. I rarely talk on the phone, being I work in a hospital its easier to use BBM or text.

And according to AT&T I text a lot. Never thought it would be humanly possible to text that much but they say I do......

Have fun picking. I'm sure that no matter which one you pick you'll be happy. How could you not be when you are holding the greatest phone ever made...a BlackBerry
    04-13-08 09:54 AM
    maybe you should consider a 8830. Doesnt have a camera, but the 1.3mp camera on my old pearl sucked very grainy and blurry
    but i hear the new pearls have a 2.0 camera
    depends on how comfortable you are with suretype
    i need qwerty personally
    04-13-08 10:17 AM
    I just joined here today actually. And other than a little technial issue with my curve I love it. The full keyboard, the larger screen, the trackball, its the best phone I've had in the five years of having one. I've had sprint pre and post paid service, and cingular accounts. With the job field of working on a towboat in the mississippi river and intracoastal water ways. AT&T/cingular seems to have the best coverage. Now I'm coming from having a razr that could keep signal even whe I was standing twenty feet from a tower. I'm glad I upgraded instead of replacing it.
    04-13-08 10:17 AM
    I've only used a curve a little bit will probably get one when I have the money. I've had my pearl for 17 months and love it but do think it is too small for all I do on it. It's the size of a normal phone which is great, but I don't use it like a normal phone so I'd like something bigger. When you spend more time typing than talking, it's good to have something with more room. When I type I actually end up resting it on my fingertips which really isn't that comfortable. The curve fits into the hand better

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-08 10:28 AM
    maybe you should consider a 8830. Doesnt have a camera, but the 1.3mp camera on my old pearl sucked very grainy and blurry
    but i hear the new pearls have a 2.0 camera
    depends on how comfortable you are with suretype
    i need qwerty personally
    If you're telling me this, I vote no.
    I need a camera, no matter how horrible it is. Just of those few things. Plus I really don't like the size of the 8830 at all - nor the looks. I find them a bit blah.

I'm thinking what I'll do is pick up the Pearl (assuming I go in before the Curve comes out) and try it out. Before my 30 days is up, I'm sure the Curve will be out, and if I'm having any regrets, I'll pick up the Curve. Best of both worlds, I would think!
    04-13-08 03:42 PM
    i have never used a Pearl. But, i know that i prefer the screen on the Curve. And the Pearl is less "businesslike" IMO. I see the pearl catering towards more consumer, younger crowd. (although i know of course that is not always the case) And now that i have had qwerty, i don't think i can deal with anything else.
    04-13-08 03:49 PM
    LOL. I happen to be both a consumer and part of the younger crowd.
    04-13-08 03:55 PM
    Lol, I am part of the younger, consumer crowd too. I'm apparently going to go against what everyone else feels and say that I prefer the Pearl over the Curve. I have small hands and I absolutely love typing on the Pearl as I can type with one hand. I've tried to do that on a Curve and couldn't do it. I have no problems having the Berry in my pocket either. I came from a Razr, to a QWERTY Moto Q, then to a Berry, so I have done the T9 and QWERTY thing and I really like the Suretype. There was a bit of a learning curve but now I can type probably faster than I could on the Q. I don't have any issues with the camera on the Pearl either, I don't find my pics grainy, and they're definately better than on the Razr or Q.

However (Isn't there always a however?) if the Curve were Pearl sized I would be All Over It. I realize that's probably not possible but wow, that would be awesome. I absolutely looove the way the Curve looks, its just a tad too big for my taste. It is one sexy Berry!

Edited to add: maybe if I could get bigger hands thenI could upgrade to the Curve...
    Last edited by simons91; 04-13-08 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added last line
    04-13-08 07:34 PM
    Good luck with whatever you decide! I love my pearl, I went to the sprint store and tried a bunch, it helped me alot!
    04-13-08 07:37 PM
    L

However (Isn't there always a however?) if the Curve were Pearl sized I would be All Over It. I realize that's probably not possible but wow, that would be awesome. I absolutely looove the way the Curve looks, its just a tad too big for my taste. It is one sexy Berry!
    Its my understanding that the Pearl is the lil bro/sis to the Curve.
    04-13-08 07:40 PM
    That is pretty much what it is, ScandaLeX. I doubt RIM will release a Pearl-sized Curve or similar simply because the keys would have to be tiny. Then it would end up like a Centro - I've tried one out at Best Buy and the keys are so small, it's almost impossible to press them.
    04-13-08 11:30 PM
    I have both the pearl and the curve.

It all boils down to personal preference. What's good for me may not be good for someone else.

I love the pearl, it's a great device. I also love the curve.

For me personally, I like the curve just a little bit better because I prefer the wider device. I'm also fond of the qwerty key pad.

04-14-08 06:31 AM
    I have both and love both equally. I am great with SureTYpe.

I like to type on the Pearl more, but the screen on the curve makes up for it.

I would say to go into a wireless store and try both out.

In regards to battery life, the reason CMDA uses more battery life is due to CMDA already being on 3g (high speed data) and GSM still being on EDGE. The is one of the biggest reasons there isn't a 3g version on GSM as of yet (coming soon I hope.)

If you want QWERTY (full keypad) then you can get the Curve on AT&T/T-mobile or 88xx series on any carrier. If you want ot wait, the Sprint version will be out soon (assuming you are in the good US of A. The verizon version shortly after.
    04-14-08 06:53 AM
    I'm in the USA. I use Verizon and will continue to use them. Coverage is superb, even if I don't like the phone selection. I'm thinking I'll get the Pearl, test it out, etc. Then, I'll either pass the Pearl on to another person and get the Curve when it comes to Verizon or just keep the Pearl.

The more I think about it, though, the more I want the Curve.
    04-14-08 04:03 PM
    It's sooo a personal preference. I was starting to think I wanted the Curve from this website until I thought about it. My issue with the 8703e I previously had was that it was too big and bulky for me, and it didn't do much. I don't need a full keyboard because the suretype thing isn't that hard to figure out, I'm already doing pretty well on it after 2 days. I wanted a BB that could do a lot but that was slim and that's what I got in the Pearl. I'm happy.

So it depends on what you want. If you want a full sized keyboard, a bigger screen, then go with the Curve. Otherwise, do the Pearl.
    04-14-08 04:28 PM
    Exactly what I'm trying to figure out. I'm competent at T9/Predictive Text (technically iTAP English on my RAZR =/ ) so the Pearl probably wouldn't be a problem, but looking at both would probably be good. Sadly all the ATT stores are in inconvenient places except one at my mall that didn't even have a Curve on display last time I tried looking there. And obviously not one to fiddle with in Verizon.
    04-14-08 07:50 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD