I have a Pearl 8130 and I love it with the exception of the keyboard. I hate the Sure Type feature and would rather have a full keyboard. Is the Curve essentially the same as the Pearl except w/ a QWERTY keyboard? I am thinking of upgrading to a Curve, but am wanting to get the same features. Thanks for the help, guys & girls.
    06-08-08 04:48 PM
    I would say it is... you might want to make sure that your favourite programs can still run on the Curve. Although, I suspect that they probably can.
    06-08-08 04:51 PM
    You should also try it out in your hand and see if you like holding something that wide up to your ear unless you use a headset all the time.
    06-08-08 04:59 PM
    Is the Curve mostly a Pearl with a QWERTY keyboard? Pretty much, but with some improvements, too. It does email the same - and there's nothing like a BB for email. Messaging is the same. Most of the features work the same. I've been told the Curve is better at reading email attachments, but that is probably just a function of the 4.3 OS vs the Pearl's 4.2.

But the 8330 Curve has a 2MP camera, video capability, a better media player, and a 3.5 mm stereo plug, plus support for an 8GB media card - that last one is a bit iffy, though. Yeah, my curve supports it, but it slows to a crawl when the 8GB card is in. Dunno why yet.

The screen is nicer - no question. It is higher resolution and landscape.

But if I were thinking of upgrading from the Pearl to the Curve, I'd hold off and go for the Bold.

Just my opinion, mind you.
    06-08-08 05:02 PM
    I do use a headset most of the time. I thought it was basically the same. Also, what is opera mini and how do you download it?
    06-08-08 05:03 PM
    Is the Curve mostly a Pearl with a QWERTY keyboard? Pretty much, but with some improvements, too. It does email the same - and there's nothing like a BB for email. Messaging is the same. Most of the features work the same. I've been told the Curve is better at reading email attachments, but that is probably just a function of the 4.3 OS vs the Pearl's 4.2.

But the 8330 Curve has a 2MP camera, video capability, a better media player, and a 3.5 mm stereo plug, plus support for an 8GB media card - that last one is a bit iffy, though. Yeah, my curve supports it, but it slows to a crawl when the 8GB card is in. Dunno why yet.

But if I were thinking of upgrading from the Pearl to the Curve, I'd hold off and go for the Bold.

FYI the OP has a 8130 Pearl, which comes with the 4.3 OS so he has all the same perks of the 8330 - just not the extra memory.

I went to the Curve a couple weeks ago from the Pearl 8130 and the differences are simply QWERTY, Bigger size, and more memory.
    06-08-08 05:11 PM
    I do use a headset most of the time. I thought it was basically the same. Also, what is opera mini and how do you download it?
    It's an alternate web browser for the BB... some people prefer it over the BB Browser. To download it goto mini.opera.com using your BB.
    06-08-08 05:14 PM
    So do I just use the mini opera instead of the BB browser?
    06-08-08 05:22 PM
    Yes and no.
    You can use it as your browser of choice, but there is no way to set it as your default browser, so there are still some things you do that will open the BB browser.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 06-08-08 at 05:27 PM.
    06-08-08 05:24 PM

So does the 8130 Pearl.
    06-08-08 05:25 PM
    Totally agree here, you can't go wrong with waiting. There are a few possible road bumps though. Pricing? I don't know if pricing on the Bold has been finalized, if you are on a budget, then it's possible you can have the Curve cheaper just by waiting on the Bold. One other thing, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, CDMA versions of Blackberrys are not released at the same time as their GSM counterparts. Which means, you're going to have to wait longer than everyone else for a Bold since Verizon is CDMA (again someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
    06-08-08 05:42 PM
    Totally agree here, you can't go wrong with waiting. There are a few possible road bumps though. Pricing? I don't know if pricing on the Bold has been finalized, if you are on a budget, then it's possible you can have the Curve cheaper just by waiting on the Bold. One other thing, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, CDMA versions of Blackberrys are not released at the same time as their GSM counterparts. Which means, you're going to have to wait longer than everyone else for a Bold since Verizon is CDMA (again someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
    I'm not sure about this, but it would be cool as h3ll if they did. Like releasing games for all games systems on the same day- PS3, XBOX, PSP etc etc.
    06-08-08 05:47 PM
    Maybe its just me but someone mentioned their curve is slower w an 8GB card...I just got a 4 and it seems waaaay faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 07:08 PM
    Yes, just a lot better!!
    06-08-08 07:10 PM
    Qwerty.bigger, more memory.... IMO, it's better, but to each his own...as others have said, if time isn't an issue, depending on your situation w/your current carrier, if not AT&T, you could just wait on the BOLD!! It's going to be awesome, and quite a bit better than the Pearl....GL with your choice
    06-08-08 07:20 PM
    Maybe its just me but someone mentioned their curve is slower w an 8GB card...I just got a 4 and it seems waaaay faster.

Maybe slower for them to access files, I am quessing, but should have no effect. I only have a 2GB, looking to upgrade though.
    06-08-08 07:22 PM

4 is less than 8 which may be why yours is faster. The bigger the gig the more time it takes to access. I have an 8gb in my Pearl and dont notice a speed decrease at all.
    06-08-08 08:56 PM
    8130 and 8330 are basically the same, except for the size, keyboard and memory differences already mentioned. However, MOST people have a preference for one over the other, so you should probably try the curve out in a store to be sure you'll really like it over the pearl.

The last rumor I heard about the CDMA Bold was that it was coming out in May 2009. That's kind of a long time to wait...
    06-08-08 10:14 PM
    My 2 cents...

I say the upgrade from a pearl to a curve is worth it. They both do essentually the same thing, but the qwerty is awesome. The curve also has much more memoury and way more screen real estate. I just switched over yesterday, and I would definitely say it was the right decision.

06-08-08 10:16 PM
    Yea I would probably try out the Curve before you actually go ahead and buy it. I tried both the Curve and Pearl, and I liked the Curve a lot better. I don't like Sure Type and I love the QWERY keyboard partially because I'm use to it from previous phones, but I do like it better. The screen is great, and I like the size. The extra memory is great too.
    06-08-08 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD