The USB charging / communications port on my T-Mobile 8320 appears to be broken. I did an OS upgrade from T-Mobile about a week before problems started, probably just coincidence? First I noticed that it wasn’t charging, eventually the radio shut off and it died. T-Mobile said “it’s broken would you like to buy a new one with $20 off?” I switched to a Verizon 8330 and now have much better coverage.

I put my new Curve battery in the old 8320 – and it works! But it won’t charge and it won’t talk to the computer through the USB port. When I plug in the USB I get “One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.” I’ve tried multiple computers – I can communicate with the phone via. BlueTooth (thanks Crackberry forums for this idea), but the USB appears to be blown (won't talk to computer, won't charge).

I remember back in the ancient days of computers (like pre-PC), serial port drivers (UARTS, et.al.) would fry all the time. I always wondered about the robustness of running power and communications over the same port, I think I have my answer now.

My first Blackberry 7200 had to be retired when the metal USB ring broke and pulled right out of the Blackberry, OUCH!

So what do I do with a T-Mobile Blackberry with a blown USB?
    Is it really dead?
    Is this the end for it?
    05-28-09 07:55 PM
    Replacement usb ports can be purchased from cnn.cn really cheap. If you can find an elefctronics repair shop that can remove and solder the new usb port on your 8320 you will be good to go.

Another option is BBrepairshop

They will repiace the usb port for $80.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 08:17 PM
    You can also purchase a charging dock that charges your BBs using the external contacts on the back of the BB. I highly recommend using these to decrease on wear and tear on the usb port.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD