I'm finding different info on different forums, hoping to get a straight answer.

Does GPS now work on the Curve through Verizon?

The rumor I keep hearing is that it now works with Blackberry Maps, but thats all. Is this confirmed?

(BTW, I returned my Blackberry last year after discovering it didn't work with Google Maps... have been using the same phone now for 4 years, and thats the only feature I've really wanted in a new phone... Verizon is painfully stubborn on making the two work together).
    03-31-09 11:38 PM
    The only exception to Verizon's locked gps is the new Storm from what I've read.

Other units can pay for and use Verizon Navigator.

AND with the OS 4.5 BBMaps can now use the gps.

Other apps are still locked out of accessing the gps.

Or you can somewhat thumb your nose at Verizon and get a bluetooth gps puck to use with the phone and use 3rd party apps.
    04-01-09 12:02 AM
    I'm finding different info on different forums, hoping to get a straight answer.

Does GPS now work on the Curve through Verizon?

The rumor I keep hearing is that it now works with Blackberry Maps, but thats all. Is this confirmed?

(BTW, I returned my Blackberry last year after discovering it didn't work with Google Maps... have been using the same phone now for 4 years, and thats the only feature I've really wanted in a new phone... Verizon is painfully stubborn on making the two work together).
    Forget the Curve and get a Storm! GPS is enabled on the Storm I believe the Storm is the only BlackBerry from VZW that currently has the GPS unlocked though
    04-01-09 12:04 AM
    Only the Storm's GPS is open to 3rd party apps. The Niagara will have full GPS as well.
    04-01-09 03:25 AM
    I have the 8330 curve and have GPS through verizon and google maps also works for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 04:07 AM
    I have the 8330 curve and have GPS through verizon and google maps also works for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Google maps works but uses cell tower triangulation, not device GPS. Does not pinpoint your exact location.
    04-01-09 04:47 AM
    Google maps uses both, when available. It uses triangulation to get the rough area down, then locks satellites and can pinpoint your locations, again, only when both are available.
    04-01-09 09:01 PM
    GPS only works with BBMaps using a 4.5 OS for the 8830. What replys did you get in the Curve forum?
    04-01-09 11:31 PM
    I have a storm 9530. I can not get any 3rd party app to pull a gps location. this includes google and some of the "specifically" designed apps.

Is there some setting that I havent turned on.

GPS is turned on through options screen.

I have attempted multiple apps. all with the same result.

any help is appreciated
    04-02-09 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD