Howdy y'all!

I currently own a Droid 2 Global (Verizon is my carrier).

My contract is up for early renewal this fall, October'ish to be more precise and I am looking for a new phone early so that I will know what I want when the time comes.

I am mildly impressed with the new iPhone 5's rumored specs but I'm not quite convinced that I EVER want to go back to Apple I used to own an iPhone 3G when I was with AT&T and yes, I know the carrier was a huge contributor to my issues but the phone itself wasn't the most useful tool either.

I jumped ship to an LG and then finally a Droid 2 Global. Overall, I'm happy with the device and I might just stay with an Android when the time comes. But... I've been curious about Blackberry phones for awhile now and with the Blackberry 10 devices coming out, well... I'm thinking I might just be a Blackberry owner this fall?

What I want to know is what kind of experience can I expect from either a Bold or an all touch BB? I'm strongly leaning towards a Bold-type device though.

I basically just want a phone that I can actually make work for me. I'm not really interested in phone that doubles as a toy anymore. I make my Android really earn it's keep for me.

The kind of apps I use are:

Gmail; Google Maps; Google+; Google Voice; Google Search; YouTube and Google Music.

I also use the Amazon MP3 player, Audible and the Kindle App; Stitcher (podcasts); DoggCatcher (podcasts) and TuneIn Radio Pro.

I bank with my phone (even send wire transfers monthly) and I do shop online with it from time to time. I've heard that Blackberry is very secure for online transactions?

I'm into hockey and news so good apps there would be welcome.

As long as I have some or all of my beloved apps, or... if there are good Blackberry substitutes I should be more than happy.

Any advice for me?
    04-28-12 12:01 AM
    None of the apps you mentioned are on BB right now. Maybe two or three might be there but still since you mentioned a need for all the apps, I don't think current BB's would be a good choice for you.
    As for BB10, no one really knows what it would bring to the table. But as of now the PB again lacks on all the apps you mentioned above, and since the Playbook is a glimpse into what the BB10 is going to be, I don't see many of the apps you want on BB10 to be there at launch. 2-3 yrs maybe the apps might come as the platform grows.

You should stick with the latest and greatest Android or buy the iPhone 5. I heard its going to be "magical".
    Last edited by sam_b77; 04-28-12 at 12:27 AM.
    04-28-12 12:14 AM
    Quite a list there.... searching at the top right corner is your friend..

Read the stickies at the top of the forums. Please do not RTFM on the RED link below.... way too much info! LOL
    04-28-12 12:15 AM
    So far, I found that a lot of what from Google-type apps are on Blackberry. I knew I could access Gmail, I don't know if that's through an official app or a "work-around" app but I'm sure I can. I can get Google Search, Voice, Maps and Sync with a BB too.

The two banks that I do business with have apps on BB.

TuneIn Radio is on BB. MiCoach (an app from Adidas) as well as TSN, The Hockey News, CBC and I'm sure I can dig up some other news/sports apps to keep me informed.

I'm sure that I can find what I want app-wise on a BB if I look hard enough and that's important to me as the apps do add to the usefulness of a smartphone.

What I guess I need advice on now is from folks who have went back to BB from other phones or switched from other phones to BB. What was the call quality like? Battery life?

Is it true that BBM users can text/chat with any other BBM user in the world for free? I have a lot of friends oversees and back home in Canada that use BB's and that would be nice for me.

I have still yet to find a good podcaster replacement for DoggCatcher or Stitcher so if anyone out there is a podcast nut like I am and can recommend one, that would be appreciated!

Overall, besides the nuts and bolts of what makes a smartphone good for you, besides the apps, the call quality or the messenger/mail features, what do you prefer about your BB phone that drew you back to a BB phone or away from iPhone or Android?

Some questions I can answer for myself, sure. But some I can't, such as the user experience.

Any help would be appreciated. Telling me to go back to iPhone or Android wouldn't.
    04-28-12 01:16 AM
    If you move to a BlackBerry you will have to work with inferior access to Google services. Google Voice is terrible on a BlackBerry. Google+ doesn't exist. YouTube is a link to the mobile site and Google Music isn't available. Even the Gmail experience is severely lacking.

I would advise you to stick to Android at this point if those services mean a great deal to you. I think that the Galaxy Nexus is probably still the best overall Android phone available but based on what you have written here I'm wondering if the RAZR Maxx might be a better fit for you.

I made the switch to BlackBerry from an HTC Sensation (and many other devices over the past year) and only held on for three weeks or so. If you want good battery life you should avoid the 9900/9930. If you want a good browser...wrong brand.

I loved the call quality and call features on the 9900. It was impressive. No other current smartphone can come close to matching the overall calling experience on the 9900 or BlackBerry in general. Texting and email are really great but not better than what I experienced on Android.

I know I'm jumping around and not really giving a great review but you really might do well to use a newer Android phone, Windows Phone, and a BlackBerry at the same time to see for yourself.
    04-28-12 02:12 AM
    None of the apps you mentioned are on BB right now. Maybe two or three might be there but still since you mentioned a need for all the apps, I don't think current BB's would be a good choice for you.
    As for BB10, no one really knows what it would bring to the table. But as of now the PB again lacks on all the apps you mentioned above, and since the Playbook is a glimpse into what the BB10 is going to be, I don't see many of the apps you want on BB10 to be there at launch. 2-3 yrs maybe the apps might come as the platform grows.

You should stick with the latest and greatest Android or buy the iPhone 5. I heard its going to be "magical".
    Yes they are, Google Search, Gmail, TuneIn Pro, G+, Google Maps, Native Podcast app, (Tunein Pro can also stream podcasts) etc
    04-28-12 02:16 AM

Overall, besides the nuts and bolts of what makes a smartphone good for you, besides the apps, the call quality or the messenger/mail features, what do you prefer about your BB phone that drew you back to a BB phone or away from iPhone or Android?

There's a "returning to blackberry thread" on here that has tons of posts covering just about everything you've mentioned.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 02:33 AM
    Yes they are, Google Search, Gmail, TuneIn Pro, G+, Google Maps, Native Podcast app, (Tunein Pro can also stream podcasts) etc
    I know some on the list are there but not all. Since the OP expressed a "need" for all apps I said that there aren't.
    Better to tell them straightaway than to make another BB Hater.

By the way OP, the native Gmail works great for me. Yes BBM will give you free texting/media sharing with BB owners the world over and as a communication device there is no equal in my opinion.
    It really depends on what you are looking for. The battery life on the 9900 is not typically BB, but it still gives me a full day's use on heavy calling and internet.
    04-28-12 04:27 AM
    No one knows what battery life will be like on the new devices since they are not out yet. Hopefully we will know in the fall. You will not get the same Google experience on blackberry but there are work around.
    04-28-12 07:54 AM
    Kevin, I would be patient and watch bb10 for about 4 months to see how it pans out. If it doesn't meet expectations then stick with android. If it does, switch. If you jump during the launch and it doesn't work out for you, how angry will you be? I would.
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    04-28-12 08:10 AM
    I see 3 viable options. Bold 9900, Torch 9810 or best of all, wait and see what BB10 has to offer.

Google is cutting support for Sync but you don't need it. You can take advantage of the Bb's native email/calendar/contacts via the BIS push service which I like much better than Sync.
    04-28-12 12:01 PM
    My biggest reason for thinking of switching is I'm beyond having a "media device" since I the screens on all not most but all of the touch screens is still too small for me (personally) to enjoy watching videos, movies, etc. I use my phone to listen to music, radio and podcasts now. If I find something that I would like to watch, I'll be saving the link on my phone to follow up on my laptop or television later.

That's the extent of my media needs.

I'm an information hound and to the extent that I "need" apps is merely to facilitate that. I want my phone to keep me informed of my immediate surroundings and the larger world. Scan a barcode, map out a location, a decent camera to post a picture of my current happenings to my G+ and have a great call/texting experiance.

I don't want a phone that's so large it rivals my Kindle Fire.

I want a phone that works for me. Games and fluffy stuff are not what I'm into. So yes, I will be patient and lucky for me I do have time to wait and see. I'll lurk around this site and gather up as much info as I can.

Thanks y'all!
    04-28-12 12:18 PM
    TuneIn Radio is available on the BlackBerry. I have a Torch 9810 and I also use that app all the time for live streaming and podcasts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    stackberry369 likes this.
    04-28-12 02:54 PM
    Considering the apps you value, I would highly advise not moving away from Android. The Google experience on any other OS simply pales in comparison. My first smartphone was a G1, and once I built a reliance on the excellent integration with Google services, I have been unable to make another platform work. There is just a big gulf in terms of efficiency as soon as you leave Android.

You may be better off looking at something like the Droid Pro. It's an old device at this point, but it will offer you far superior access to the Google services you mentioned in comparison to any Blackberry Verizon offers.

Another option is the Droid 4. That's what I use. I, too, have no use for my phone as a media device (my Kindle Fire fills that role), but the Droid 4 doesn't have a particularly large footprint, yet its screen makes for a good email experience, Verizon's LTE is fantastic, and the keyboard is the best I have used.
    04-28-12 06:29 PM
    Yeah, if you're using that huge number of Google Apps you probably belong on Android. You won't get a comfortable experience of any of that with a BlackBerry.
    04-28-12 07:58 PM
    It sounds liek youve got a good set up with your 'Droid phone . As other people have mentioned the BB is missing a lot of those apps that you want. For a 'working' type phone there is no other, IMO. You could always get yourself a nice little curve for your working phone and need your Android for everything else? there are multiple people that carry around two phones.

Id say though wait for BB10 in the fall to see what they come out with. Even when they are launched id still say wait a few month for the apps to come out with it, unless RIM already has the deals broke upon launch (doubtful). I think this owuld be your best course of action. Unless your Android is falling apart LOL then grab a 2nd hand OS7 for now.
    04-28-12 09:01 PM
    As someone who switches operating systems ever 3 months, stay with Android!

BB10 might be good in a few years.
    04-28-12 10:06 PM
    I think I will still hold out for what BB10 is going to offer. If I think that what is being offered this fall by Blackberry is promising and I know that my core apps will be there in some form or another then, I'll probably take the plunge.

I guess the best reason for why I'm so curious about a Blackberry is that most of my friends who have one (and have had Android's; Window phones; Nokias or iPhones previously) swear by it. Very few left Blackberry cursing.

So... knowing how astute these folks are about tech, I gotta say that I'm real damn curious now.

Well, time will tell.

If and when I get a Blackberry, this will be THE place I post it first
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-28-12 10:14 PM
    I can highly recommend the BB, most of the apps you mentioned ARE availble on BB, despite what some folks have posted. Also the BB has THE best keyboard in the business. If you can't upgrade til Oct that might be perfect since this is around when the BB10 devices are supposed to arrive.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-28-12 10:18 PM
    i wouldn't do anything right now. I would ride the wave till BB10 came out and see what all the early adopters said about it and by then you may find a android 4.0 device you would like to investigate also
    04-29-12 07:11 AM
    I can highly recommend the BB, most of the apps you mentioned ARE availble on BB, despite what some folks have posted. Also the BB has THE best keyboard in the business. If you can't upgrade til Oct that might be perfect since this is around when the BB10 devices are supposed to arrive.
    I was under the impression that the first BB10 phones would not have a keyboard.
    04-29-12 07:56 AM
    I was under the impression that the first BB10 phones would not have a keyboard.
    How would anybody know. Truth is nobody does so we'll just have to wait and see.
    04-29-12 08:08 AM
    Hi! After reading what you are after and what you have currently, maybe you could see if there are any other Android phones that suit your fancy before switching to BlackBerry. It looks like you've already done some research on apps, which is great! But like other posters have stated, some of the apps you want might not be represented by BlackBerry. But the Bold devices are great and sturdy; and you can always go to your carrier's store and tell them everything you're looking for. They could give you recommendations and advice, as well. Being a fan of both BlackBerry and Android, I am sure that you will find a phone that meets your needs! Good luck, and let us know what you've decided!
    04-29-12 01:21 PM
    I would wait and see what RIM comes out with with bb10 and not waste your upgrade on something you may regret a month or two later.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-29-12 07:27 PM
    I'm just going to jump in and add my two cents. Google support is non existent one a BB, but if you want Google, stay on Android. BUT, I could do everything on my Blackberry that my Android can do(minus the Google play store) easier. Might just be me, but I don't expect my phone to have a computer experience when it comes to things like email, and really prefer the BB native email client over Android. Google maps is available, but I never bothered with it, BB maps worked just fine. Not sure how BB podcast compares, but it's built in. Security isn't a concern on a BB, whereas I had my bank account info stolen through a purchase on my Android to Zagg(which claims to be a secure site). Android is a fun OS in that the games and apps available are pretty cool, but really that's about it, to me at least. If someone offered me a trade for a 9930 for this Galaxy S2 I have right now it would be hard to say no. I'm getting off topic.
    If Google apps are your core use, Android is your answer. If you want to try something new give OS7 a shot, or jump on BB10. Personally, I can't wait to get another BB.
    04-30-12 01:35 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD