Hi guys,
    I just got a new blackberry and i was thinking of getting the free app crunchSMS . My carrier is T-mobile and i didn't get the unlimited data plan for $30 but i got the 200mb plan for $15. I was wondering if crunchSMS will use up the 200mb of data because i do not want to go over. Thank you for your help
    01-15-11 09:16 PM
    Hmmm... I would think it replaces the regular sms since you firewall the sms box once you download to avoid getting 2 copies of each. I'll look into, and also it has a contact support option in appworld if you don't want to take a chance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-11 12:29 AM
    ok thank you. Does anyone else know about this topic???
    01-16-11 06:45 AM
    It doesn't use data.
    01-16-11 06:46 AM
    Thank you. But you're sure?...its not that i don't trust you. I just don't want to take the chance of paying extra
    01-16-11 06:50 AM
    Once your free week is up, the advertisements will use a little data. btw I have noticed some pretty sleezy advertisements on this thing

01-16-11 07:28 AM
    Here are two quotes from the crunchSMS FAQ that may help alleviate your concern.

Curve 8350i...does not work!
    There's a problem with some Curve 8350i phones: on certain networks all messages are sent and received as MMS, not SMS. And crunchSMS doesn't yet support MMS, thus it will not work on these phones.
    This quote is the closest crunchSMS comes to explicitly stating they do not use data.

On OS 6 phones (e.g. BB Torch), when you disable the text messages you do not get your MMS at all. How to fix it?
    The Firewall settings have changed in OS 6, i.e. SMS and MMS are not two separate settings. If you block text messages then both SMS and MMS are blocked. For the time being don't block text messages.
    If your new phone runs OS 6, you may not be happy with this limitation. It's unfortunate that RIM reduced your control over the firewall.
    01-16-11 07:32 AM
    Once your free week is up, the advertisements will use a little data. btw I have noticed some pretty sleezy advertisements on this thing

Is this valid? if so then I can't use i only have 200mb of data per month and I have a Curve 8320 so i should be ok with the SMS and MMS thing right?
    01-16-11 08:34 AM
    The 8320 will never run OS 6, so you won't have the problems I listed in my post above. As to the ads using data, I don't know. I paid the one-time fee for the ad-free version. That's much cheaper than changing your data plan, and provides an incentive to the developer to keep improving the product.
    01-16-11 08:40 AM
    How much is the fee?
    01-16-11 08:41 AM
    $5. See here: crunchSMS - Buy License
    01-16-11 08:43 AM
    Thank you for all your help. I can pay for the one-time payment before the ad comes up right?..sorry one last question
    01-16-11 08:48 AM
    Yes. You can buy the license at any time. You don't have to wait until the free trial expires.
    JVillzz likes this.
    01-16-11 08:51 AM
    Alright I just wanted to make sure so that I don't pay the $5 and have the ad still pop up. Thank you for all your help
    01-16-11 08:52 AM
    The $5 takes away the ads... That's the purpose of it so they don't have to get paid from advertisers, just your one time fee.

01-16-11 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD