I 'upgraded' from my old 8320 to 9700 and I must say it's frustrating to type in comparison. I feel that the 9700 keys are too solid, too close together. You need to really try to push in those keys unlike on my old 8320 typing is as smooth as on my laptop.

It's been couple weeks already I'm getting used to it but it's still a hassle to type with.

It seems to be a trend after trying on my friends Javelin, Bold1. Hope they'll redesign the new keyboards for newer models.

Just my 2cs.
    05-23-10 08:03 AM
    While the 9700 isnt as good to type on as the 9000, IMO its still very good. I had several 83xx devices and liked them all. I dont see the new RIM devices keyboard changing much. It looks like theyre in this "smaller is better" mode and will continue to produce devices as such.
    05-23-10 08:21 AM
    Coming from a Pearl->Javelin->Onyx I love the keypad. Most coming from an 83xx seem to be disappointed. Give it some more time, and hopefully it will grow on you. I agree pilsbury, it would have been nice to make the Bold2 the same size or close to the original.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 08:33 AM
    I recently went to several carrier outlets in the mall, just looking at phones... I tried typing on the 9700 and hated it. I tried typing on the 9000, it was a lot better.

But overall, the best keyboards are on the Curves.

Didn't get a chance to try out the Tour's keyboard.(Or the 9650, as its not in stores yet.)

05-23-10 08:43 AM
    I bought my 9000 last month and it is quite good except the battery.i keep reading e books and listening to the music all the time and after a few hours it turn off automatically ..........
    what about the 9700???except for the crappy keyboard.......
    05-23-10 09:41 AM
    I think the new keyboards on the 9700 and 9630 are awesome. I liked the okd curve keyboard too, but these are more comfortable to type on. I think that BlackBerry devices have the best keyboards in the business.

05-23-10 09:43 AM
    the curve 8900 seems to have the same size as bold 9700........but i feel the key is not as solid as 9700........
    05-23-10 09:54 AM
    Keys on the 8900 are smaller and separated in the Curve style.

Coming from the 8330, I initially wasn't terribly thrilled with transition to the Bold style of keyboard, but after I adjusted to the feel, typing speed has improved, and the lighter click doesn't disturb my wife as much as Curve's did.

05-23-10 10:42 AM
    Keys on the 8900 are smaller and separated in the Curve style.

Coming from the 8330, I initially wasn't terribly thrilled with transition to the Bold style of keyboard, but after I adjusted to the feel, typing speed has improved, and the lighter click doesn't disturb my wife as much as Curve's did.

Maybe i could get a Curve....for the reason that i am not married...
    05-23-10 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD