I hope that this is not a Vista issue. I really do. I do not have any PCs running Vista here. I will try to slap a spare hard disk into one of my machines and load vista tonight.

If you have an XP machine that you can try the same test with that would be a great help.
    No problem Pete and thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I only have 2 PCs and they're both running Vista. I even tried to run the app in "compatibility mode" (right click on CrackMem, select Properties > Compatibility and then choose "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP2)") but it's still a no-go.
    07-12-08 10:44 AM
    Well I am running Vista Ultimate, so I guess I won't even try this till pete can say how lol. Also pete, does this program automatically delete the vendor.xml file, or does that need to be done manually?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 11:22 AM
    I am installing Vista on a PC right now. I should have an answer in about 90 mins.

And then.... if it ain't that, it will be something else....
    07-12-08 11:22 AM
    Great job Pete!
    07-12-08 11:28 AM
    Yep, Vista here too.

Your screen shots clearly show numbered choices for the input step, echo is not working correctly.

I have an XP and even a Win98SE to test it further.

Do you have the OS installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files
    Yes, but of course, none of my 8320 OS's are on the list.
    Last edited by Stoner; 07-12-08 at 12:13 PM.
    07-12-08 11:28 AM
    Well I am running Vista Ultimate, so I guess I won't even try this till pete can say how lol. Also pete, does this program automatically delete the vendor.xml file, or does that need to be done manually?

I'll just talk about Vendor.xml.

CrackMem does not completely delet files from your system.

It creates a folder called RemovedFiles in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion. It then creates folders within RemovedFiles that are named the same as each OS installed on your PC as you select them for use. Thus you may find a folder called 8310-v4.2.2.194_P2.5.0.44 or 8310-v4.5.0.52_P2.7.0.66 in RemovedFiles. CrackMem copis the files to be removed into these folders and then deletes them from the source folder. In this way I am able to put things back the way they were.

The exception to this is Vendor.xml which only lives in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader. There is only one copy of Vendor.xml no matter how many OSs you install because it is a shared file and does not reside with the rest of the OS specific files. I guess that RIM never planned on people having multiple OSs installed on the same PC. Either that or they did not care.

I copy Vendor.xml to the OS specific RemovedFiles folder anyway and then delete it from Apploader.

So, yes, I do remove Vendor.xml and there is a menu choice to do this.
    07-12-08 11:33 AM
    Yep, Vista here too.

Your screen shots clearly show numbered choices for the input step, echo is not working correctly.

I have an XP and even a Win98SE to test it further.
    The polite forum answer to this is -rats but, you can all guess what I'd really like to say.
    07-12-08 11:39 AM
    So Pete, should I do this or no? Since my Curve is only like 3 wks old?

07-12-08 12:21 PM
    So Pete, should I do this or no? Since my Curve is only like 3 wks old?

No you should not for three reasons,
    - this software is clearly still not working quite right. It will be but, it ain't today
    - your phone is new and you could invalidate the warranty
    - whilst we are all fooling with my stuuupid software there is slightly less help available in the forums.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-12-08 at 12:43 PM.
    07-12-08 12:26 PM
    I haven't yet tested but will soon. Looks like a great idea. Keep up the great work!
    07-12-08 12:26 PM
    whilst we are all fooling with my stuuupid software there is slightly less help available in the forums.
    LOL, still keeping up with the fresh questions, no problems.

I have linked back to this thread a the end of Step #2, the perfect place for it, once it is bullet proof.

Your time and effort will pay off for many BlackBerry users, deserving of the title Genius.
    07-12-08 12:56 PM
    I have found the problem with running CrackMem under Vista. The trouble is, I do not yet know what to do about it. Here's what is happening.

I creat a small file in the C:\ folder called oslist.txt. I also creat a folder and then some sub-folders in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion folder called RemovedFiles. In that folder I create the individual OS folders.

Vista will not allow me to create a file in the C:\ folder nor will it allow me to create a folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion.

I will now go away and play with Vista and CrackMem until I find a solution. I suspect that this will be to create my stuff in the User\Documents folder. Will it allow me to delete files from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OSnamehere folder. I will solve the problems one at a time.

Later dudes. I'm out for an hour or so to do some programming.
    07-12-08 01:26 PM
    I haven't yet tested but will soon. Looks like a great idea. Keep up the great work!
    Thanx so much for answering my questions!!! Next, I wanna try making my own theme!!!! If I get it done u guys will see it!!!

07-12-08 01:26 PM
    Amazing work Pete!! I am loving CrackMem and its progression over this past week. I have yet to try it (I am sorry!) because I have not upgraded OSes yet!! I will toy around with it when I either have some down time or upgrade to another Beta

You need to talk to Kevin and have this added to the How-Tos section ASAP!! WOW!
    07-12-08 01:32 PM
    Thanx so much for answering my questions!!! Next, I wanna try making my own theme!!!! If I get it done u guys will see it!!!

Looking forward to that. If you wish to talk to other Theme writers, there is a Wallpaers and Themes froum right here on CrackBerry.
    07-12-08 01:45 PM
    Amazing work Pete!! I am loving CrackMem and its progression over this past week. I have yet to try it (I am sorry!) because I have not upgraded OSes yet!! I will toy around with it when I either have some down time or upgrade to another Beta

You need to talk to Kevin and have this added to the How-Tos section ASAP!! WOW!
    When the �v<&ing thing works, I will.
    07-12-08 01:46 PM
    Vista will not allow me to create a file in the C:\ folder nor will it allow me to create a folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion.
    I suspect creating folder requires ring 0 access.

I have encounted other issues with Command. Vista has pretty well knee capped Command.
    07-12-08 01:48 PM
    Pete, I don't know if you saw my post from yesterday, but
    for me Norton (downstairs) and McAfee (upstairs) did not
    detect a trojan. I upgrade the Pearl and it ran just fine.
    That is 1.4 I'm speaking of.
    07-12-08 01:49 PM
    I need to set permissions in Vista to be able to:

- create the file oslist.txt in C:\
    - create folders in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion
    - delete files from within C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion and down.

I will look at this tomorrow. I think it will just be a question of giving CrackMem for permissions in Vista and then it will work. To save time, if anyone knows which permissions annd how to do this, I would love to know.

I am getting some heat from Mrs. Pete6 who says that I have spent too much time 'playing computers' this weekend. She is,of course correct. I am stopping now until she goes to bed.
    07-12-08 01:50 PM
    For the time being, we can continue to use it with Windows XP.

Lots of time to play computer tomorrow.
    07-12-08 02:00 PM
    I think that I have found the problem.

Vista will not allow CrackMem to create files and folders, nor will it allow it to delete files.

The fix is simple - apparently. Right click on CrackMem.exe and select 'Run as administrator' and it works.

Please would somebody test this and give some feedback in here - thanks.

Now I await the next problem....
    07-12-08 02:07 PM
    Yes, XP is fine over here. Thanks again Pete. Your hard work and effort does not go un-noticed.

07-12-08 02:07 PM
    Pete, I don't know if you saw my post from yesterday, but
    for me Norton (downstairs) and McAfee (upstairs) did not
    detect a trojan. I upgrade the Pearl and it ran just fine.
    That is 1.4 I'm speaking of.
    There is for sure a virus in 1.4 (also there are coding bugs in there too so you should really download v1.6). I found a Trojan.Generic with BitDefender and if you check post #26 in http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crackmem-v1-0-a-50349/ you will see that other posters found one as well.
    07-12-08 02:15 PM
    You got it, it runs fine when run as administrator!

Nice touch, reading the subdirectory from the installed OS.

Last edited by Stoner; 07-12-08 at 02:24 PM.
    07-12-08 02:21 PM
    Thanks for the heads up Pete. Just ran a full scan with
    Norton, and you're right. Don't know why it didn't detect
    it in the d/l.
    07-12-08 02:29 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD