CrackMem v2.x is released. It has its own thread too. Please use v2 instead of v1.x.

V2 may be downloaded from here http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...eleased-52044/ Pleaaase leave your comments there too.

Thanks
    Pete

CrackMem v1.5 is now released. This version is 100% virus free and may be used safely. Please do not use older (lower) versions than v1.5 of CrackMem as they are infected.

If you use CrackMem please post your comments in this thread so that others may benefit from your ideas. If you would like any enhancements please list those too. It may or may not be possible to incorporate what you want but I will try and I will give you feedback as to what is happening.

Version 1.5 of CrackMem iand later are safe. I have checked it with BitDefender.
    Version 1.6 is here. It corrects a fault where the Themes, VAD and MyFaves were not correctly removed.

- CrackMem is a utility to make the process of optimizing your BlackBerry's memory easy.

- CrackMem is zero cost and will remain free for ever.

- CrackMem will work on all 8xxx series phones although I have personally only tried it with an 8100 and an 8310. I am not sure about using it on 7xxx or (gosh) 9xxx phones.

- If you are running Microsoft Vista then you will need to right-mouse-click on CrackMem.exe and select 'Run as administrator' and it works.

To use CrackMem you will need the CrackMem program downloaded from this thread. Please download the latest version of the program from this thread. It comes in a .zip file due to sensible forum rules and once on your PC's desktop, double click on it and select Unzip all Files from the left hand panel.

Once the new window has opened, the program is ready to be run. CrackMem is a single program that does not install to your PC. It just runs. V1.5 has a registration message which will display when you run it. Please ignore this. I am waiting for my registration key and once I enter that, the message will go away.

Before launching CrackMem please install the BlackBerry Operating System that you wish to install on your phone. Please also make certain that you allow the OS to be installed in its default folder just as RIM suggest. You can do this by just following the prompts at OS installation time. Both the lat two points are neccessary steps.

Do not connect your phone just yet. That comes later.

Once all the above is out of the way you can run CrackMem.

The opening screen displaying up to 6 BlackBerry OSs installed.
    Select the OS you wish to work with by typing in its number.

Confirm the OS selection by typing 'y' or 'n' this is not case sensitive.

This screen has 7 OS removal options, a Put It Back [Menu selection 0] or 'X' to return to the opening screen.
    Choose the modules you wish to remove.

As you remove modules the selections will be displayed near the top of the screen as a reminder of what you have removed.

Once you have finished your selections type 'X' or 'x' to return to the OS choices screen. Typing 'X' or 'x' will now exit the program.

Run Desktop Manager and connect you phone and proceed with your installation.

Once the OS install is complete and you are satisfied that you have instlled or removed the desired modules you shoul run CrackMem once more, select the same OS and then from the Remove Module screen select '0' from the menu to put the OS back to its original condition so that you may start over from a pristine installation at any time.

That's it, you have just optimized your BlackBerry's memory.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks to:
    - John Clark for his original landmark article and continued inspiration. http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
    - Stoner for his excellent tutorials and explanation of memrory optimization. How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone | CrackBerry.com and the original post http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    - amazinglygraceless, ScandaLeX and bmcclure937 for testing and help.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-16-08 at 01:47 AM.
    07-12-08 06:13 AM
    I'm happy to see you have it fixed Pete. Thanks for this wonderful program.
    *EDIT* there is now a link in my signature.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 07-12-08 at 06:32 AM.
    07-12-08 06:25 AM
    Does it matter where I save the download to?
    07-12-08 06:31 AM
    Does it matter where I save the download to?
    No not at all. I have run it from my desktop, C:\and a number of other folders.

The only thing it needs is that the OS must be installed in the default folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files otherwize CrackMem won't find the OSs.
    07-12-08 06:40 AM
    I'm happy to see you have it fixed Pete. Thanks for this wonderful program.
    *EDIT* there is now a link in my signature.
    Wow, thanks. I am impressed.
    07-12-08 06:41 AM

The only thing it needs is that the OS must be installed in the default folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files otherwize CrackMem won't find the OSs.
    Thanks, I figured out what MY problem was, just not think this morning.
    07-12-08 06:46 AM
    Thanks, I figured out what MY problem was, just not think this morning.
    Ahh, thinking, the drinking mans curse.
    07-12-08 07:34 AM

I could kiss you and if I were in Switzerland, I'd do just that!!
    NOW I see why my OSs werent appearing in CrackMem yesterday; as they show in your first pic. They werent in the correct directory.
    Knowing this now answers the question I had yesterday. I was at a stumbling block cause I didnt know if it was me or CM!!

I feel like I've been on a roll for the last 2 weeks finding stuff! Had MaxMem not been so misleading, we wouldnt be where we are today!

Thanks Pete for jumping on this as quickly as you have and for compiling an easier way to optimize!! You're da Man!!
    07-12-08 07:45 AM
    OK missing something here when I am done and connect my BB nothing happens. I removed all 1-7 and the X-ed out 2 times to end the program, connected my BB and nothing.
    07-12-08 07:49 AM
    [/color]

I could kiss you and if I were in Switzerland, I'd do just that!!
    NOW I see why my OSs werent appearing in CrackMem yesterday; as they show in your first pic. They werent in the correct directory.
    Knowing this now answers the question I had yesterday. I was at a stumbling block cause I didnt know if it was me or CM!!

I feel like I've been on a roll for the last 2 weeks finding stuff! Had MaxMem not been so misleading, we wouldnt be where we are today!

Thanks Pete for jumping on this as quickly as you have and for compiling an easier way to optimize!! You're da Man!!
    Well I 'm just glad that I'm in Switzerland - unless you are an 18 year old female.
    07-12-08 07:51 AM
    Thanks for the fix Pete....my buddy is going to love it.
    07-12-08 07:56 AM
    Well I 'm just glad that I'm in Switzerland - unless you are an 18 year old female.
    HaHaa.... I am a female, but I havent seen 18 in a lot of years. Pete how old are you?
    07-12-08 07:59 AM
    HaHaa.... I am a female, but I havent seen 18 in a lot of years. Pete how old are you?
    62 but my wife says that I'm really only 12
    07-12-08 08:23 AM
    a little help on post #9
    07-12-08 08:29 AM
    a little help on post #9
    Once you have done with CrackMem, you need to run Desktop Manager and connect your phone the the PC and the upgrade should begin automatically.

This is what happens to my installation. I am running DM 4.5 but it should also work with DM 4.3 too.
    07-12-08 08:45 AM
    Gets better with each update.
    07-12-08 09:45 AM
    I just put up v1.6 this one actually works!

There was an error in my code that failed to fully remove the themes, VAD and MyFaves.
    07-12-08 09:52 AM
    Gets better with each update.
    Yeah, closer each time.

Once I get the bugs fully out of it - and I think that v1.6 is stable.

I am going to leave it a month and to see if the logic really works and to make improvements and listen to people's requests for reasonable upgrades.

Then I shall most likely re-write it in Delphi so that V2.0 will be a proper Windows program that does not look like a refugee from the 1980s.
    07-12-08 09:57 AM
    Unfortunatly, I think we need a little more tweaking on 1.6.

After the copyright screen, I get a prompt to Choose OS? with nothing echoed for a choice.

Selecting 1 caused it try whatever that contaned.
    07-12-08 10:15 AM
    That is odd. I read your post and tried 1.6 on my PC. It worked fine. I have 4 OSs installed for testing and it found them all. I am on an XP Home system.

Do you have the OS installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files otherwize CrackMem won't find the OSs?
    07-12-08 10:19 AM
    1 question?? I just read this entire thread & still have no idea what you guys are talkin about or what this program is & why is it important for my BB Curve???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 10:20 AM
    Unfortunatly, I think we need a little more tweaking on 1.6.

After the copyright screen, I get a prompt to Choose OS? with nothing echoed for a choice.

Selecting 1 caused it try whatever that contaned.
    I got the same problem here since the 1.4 release. There's nothing to select when the program prompts to choose OS. BTW, I'm running Vista if that matters.
    07-12-08 10:20 AM
    1 question?? I just read this entire thread & still have no idea what you guys are talkin about or what this program is & why is it important for my BB Curve???

All Blackberrys have a finite amount of memory. The Operating System that runs on the BlackBerry comes as a series of modules.

Some people would rather run a Messenger program than say, Voice Activated Dialling. Since both take up memory there is a choice to make. RIM do not give people that choice. CrackMem allows the simple removal of certain modules prior to OS instalation and in some case afterwards too.

Some carriers also load the phone with multiple applications that are hard to remove. All these use up valuable Device Memory.

BlackBerrys also seem to have what is called a memory leak. Mostly this is related to poorly behaved programs but the more memory you have available, the greater margin you have.

If this is not clear to you please ask more questions. This is a friendly forum.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-12-08 at 10:39 AM.
    07-12-08 10:34 AM
    I got the same problem here since the 1.4 release. There's nothing to select when the program prompts to choose OS. BTW, I'm running Vista if that matters.
    I hope that this is not a Vista issue. I really do. I do not have any PCs running Vista here. I will try to slap a spare hard disk into one of my machines and load vista tonight.

If you have an XP machine that you can try the same test with that would be a great help.
    07-12-08 10:37 AM
    Lol...thanx, I think - get it now. I just got my BB Curve8310 like 3 weeks ago, do u think I would have to do that? I'm gettin the Bold in a couple weeks anyway. But its good to know for latr on if I run into some mem problems! I also connect my BB to my MACBook Pro & open up the folders & delete stuff that way.

07-12-08 10:44 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD