I went to take my puppy out on a trail walk today because its BEAUTIFUL... first NICE day we've had in a really long time.
    Anyways, I didn't want to take my bag with me, so i left it in the trunk.. I brought my blackberry (pink pearl)and ipod.

well we start off..i discover the ipod it hought was chargeing all night..didnt cahrge..so it was dead on batterys.
    Anyways.. I didn't have any pockets so i carried my BB, in its case (that it comes with)... It slid out of its case and dropped to the ground.
    I picked it up, looked first at the screan..everything looked fine untill i saw the Zero button was cracked in half.

Telus said that it wouldnt be able to fix it, i would have to replace it.. it cost $250.

Im so upset..yes things(blackberries) can be replaced.. but im trying to get outa the debt ive wracked up since i got home from traveling..and maybe start saveing again.. adn adding 250 to the credit card i just paid off this morning..dosn't really make ones day.

blah. had to post.
    thanks for listening
    06-14-08 06:35 PM
    Ugh. I feel your pain!!! That really is too bad - sorry to hear it!

I take it you didn't have insurance on the phone?? Also, don't pay $250 for a Pearl!!! Shop around and I guarantee you will find one waaaay cheaper!
    06-14-08 06:36 PM
    WOW, that is a bummer, I'm sorry :*(

I can't believe it would cost $250 for one button!
    06-14-08 06:42 PM
    well initially i paid 40 bucks when i signd up with a telus 3 year contract..so the phone itself only cost 40 ...
    but to replace it aparently costs 250.

Even if i was to find it somewhere cheaper i would have to cancel my contract with them and that would probably cost just as much if not more.

bahhh painfull..lol and my first thought when i dropped it was.. i have to post on crack berry about my cracked berry..lol

so my next purchase will be a new case..that wont let the bb slide out!
    06-14-08 06:43 PM
    i know! i was kinda hopeing they would just take it in to repare..because it is just hte button.
    the phone still works, the screan isnts cratched..no marks anywhere else..just the button.

Damn rock!
    06-14-08 06:45 PM
    You could always go to Cellular Accessories - SonyEricsson, BlackBerry, Motorola, Apple, Nokia, Sony, Microsoft, NEC, Alcatel, and order a replacement keyboard. It's less than $20 for your model.
    06-14-08 06:46 PM
    No insurance??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 06:50 PM
    You could always go to Cellular Accessories - SonyEricsson, BlackBerry, Motorola, Apple, Nokia, Sony, Microsoft, NEC, Alcatel, and order a replacement keyboard. It's less than $20 for your model.
    was just about to say that...
    that woulda been a lot cheaper.. how do you install it?

I already put its on my credit card..they have to order the phone in though...so it might be okay to return.. :S
    that woulda been a lot cheaper.. how do you install it?
    YouTube - Blackberry Pearl 8100 Screen Replacement & Dissection

Looks scary, but really quite simple and you won't
    need to do the whole thing.

Keep that credit card handy, it's your case opening
    tool
    06-14-08 07:05 PM
    Good call on the keyboard replacement.

I recall a guy in Cayman Islands offering a surf washed Curve for the shipping fees. The keyboard pieces might have been salvagable.

Replace the keyboard, yourself or using the fast turn around service. Way less expensive then a replacement.
    06-14-08 08:31 PM
    holy crack. hehe maybe i shoulda checked the website before i wrote telus giving them heck for chargeing an outragous 250 for a replacement phone...they are chargeing 499 for no contract. so they coulda done that insted the 250.

hmm we'll see what they write me back..lol

I shoulda posted here before rushing off to telus but i can see about getting hte money back..they probably made me pay upfront (cause they are still ordering it in) so that i wouldnt/couldnt back out?
    06-14-08 09:57 PM
    Yes, definitely fix it. I know it seems a little intimidating to take the phone apart, but you really have nothing to lose at this point.
    06-14-08 10:22 PM
    well we start off..i discover the ipod it hought was chargeing all night..didnt cahrge..so it was dead on batterys.
    on a different note for your ipod...did it just not get charged or is the battery dead for good?

which is another good reason to get a berry versus a iphone - once the battery is dead it's dead...and then it's a hot mess to get that fixed!!

i hope that you find a new berry soon!! or find a way to fix yours!!
    06-14-08 10:34 PM
    on a different note for your ipod...did it just not get charged or is the battery dead for good?

which is another good reason to get a berry versus a iphone - once the battery is dead it's dead...and then it's a hot mess to get that fixed!!

i hope that you find a new berry soon!! or find a way to fix yours!!

lmfao no, im just a moron on that.. ahahha.
    After I got home i went to charge it again, (i figured i just didnt click it onto the charger..i have one of those speaker systems that charges the ipod)
    and discoverd the reason it did not charge the ipod..is because the speaker was not pluged into the wall.. DOH!
    haha

I'll keep you posted on the BB, see what telus says either in the email or when i go in next week.
    Last edited by crayola_sky; 06-15-08 at 02:16 AM. Reason: my dog told me to ;)
    06-15-08 02:09 AM
    If you ear able to do it yourself, check for parts on ebay you can find your button at less than $20.00
    06-15-08 06:20 AM
    lmfao no, im just a moron on that.. ahahha.
    After I got home i went to charge it again, (i figured i just didnt click it onto the charger..i have one of those speaker systems that charges the ipod)
    and discoverd the reason it did not charge the ipod..is because the speaker was not pluged into the wall.. DOH!
    haha

I'll keep you posted on the BB, see what telus says either in the email or when i go in next week.
    oh good!! what a relief! i have an ipod too but it does not hold anything important like my berry does...just my music!! good to hear!!

and hope that berry gets fixed soon!
    06-15-08 07:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD