Was not sure where to post this...

In looking at the other Mobile Nations sites it seems that Crackberry is at a disadvantage in terms of content. I mean, iMore is just that; it goes beyond iOS and into the larger sphere of Apple. Windows Phone Central, too, goes beyond Windows phone and into the larger world of Microsoft; in particular with, but not exclusive to, the Xbox. Android Central also has a focus on the larger world of Google. So where does this leave Crackberry?

Now, while Crackberry does have a ton of different forums most of the discussions seem to be around rumored devices, wanted features, and "would this be a good phone for me?". The main news page also seems to only focus on rumors, Chen's latest interview, earnings calls, a few apps, and then a bunch of "other" topics are more inline with the overarching theme of Mobile Nations and not necessarily Crackberry centric.

I originally thought Connectedly would be a part of Crackberry, seeing as how Blackberry has dedicated a section of their own official website to IoT, but alas, Connectedly is its own thing.

Even Berry Flow delves into topics not really seen on here, but proves there is a larger Blackberry "world" out there that could be explored within these pages.

I suppose the impetus for this post is that Crackberry does not seem to be the same website it was even just 3 or 4 years ago. I imagine that with acquisitions, QNX, and so on there would be a lot more to explore in the world of Blackberry, but I dunno; I'm just some dude here.

What do ya'll think?
    unical, Tatwi and anon(9169048) like this.
    07-27-15 12:40 PM
    I think I would like to know more about QNX in cars, as I am due for a car upgrade!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    07-27-15 01:20 PM
    You're right. BlackBerry is no longer a phone company and CrackBerry articles need to be more in line with the change.

They are trying but I think they can do more. However, I do think it's a bit difficult since BlackBerry is in the process of that change and until things are in full swing content is gonna be limited.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 01:23 PM
    Enterprise security...?
    Hacking and data breaches?
    Privacy? Snowden? Tinfoil topics?

Ah, US and other carriers... ;-)

�   "BBAndr10d Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."   �
    07-27-15 01:30 PM
    Sorry guys but is anything else BlackBerry is doing ... interesting?

Google, Microsoft are all Apple larg companies that are working towards the future, and they have a pretty diverse porfolio of products. BlackBerry is a dying hardware business, no word on if there will be much improvement on BB10, QNX in Cars and Security, Security, Security....

But really if the PHONES go away.... other than BES related questions, and the guys in the BBRY section.... what's the point of CrackBerry.
    07-27-15 01:30 PM
    Sorry guys but is anything else BlackBerry is doing ... interesting?

Google, Microsoft are all Apple larg companies that are working towards the future, and they have a pretty diverse porfolio of products. BlackBerry is a dying hardware business, no word on if there will be much improvement on BB10, QNX in Cars and Security, Security, Security....

But really if the PHONES go away.... other than BES related questions, and the guys in the BBRY section.... what's the point of CrackBerry.
    The Berry Flow podcast, which features Crackberry editors including Bla1ze as regular commentators, has tons of content that is not making its way onto Crackberry, or if it is, only in a watered down form. In terms of news, there is actually a lot going on. How much of it is relevant to the average Blackberry user depends on interest levels, but Blackberry has, and will continue to, move past mobile OS and handheld devices. Like it or not, that is the future of Blackberry as a company.

Five years ago Crackberry was definitely about the handsets, but Blackberry is no longer RIM and is moving far beyond what RIM was about. How much this is revenant to those BB10 users who only care about the handsets, I dunno, but those stories are out there.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    07-27-15 02:18 PM
    I doubt there would be much interest in anything other than the consumer-facing technologies. What BlackBerry technologies do you use other than handsets?
    07-27-15 02:47 PM
    I doubt there would be much interest in anything other than the consumer-facing technologies. What BlackBerry technologies do you use other than handsets?
    BlackBerry Blend.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    07-27-15 03:11 PM
    Well BlackBerry as of right now doesn't have a current tablet offering or desktop os so that is strike one. They don't have a wearable to speak of and even if they did connectedly has it covered. So what else are they supposed to report on?
    If they had a a larger spread of tech to cover you'd see more variety. As it is crackberry can only speak on what is known or speculated. 3-4 years ago we had a dozen models of sliders, qwerty, full touch, and flip phones not to mention a tablet and back then there was no connectedly or a wearables market.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 05:03 PM
    Was not sure where to post this...

In looking at the other Mobile Nations sites it seems that Crackberry is at a disadvantage in terms of content. I mean, iMore is just that; it goes beyond iOS and into the larger sphere of Apple. Windows Phone Central, too, goes beyond Windows phone and into the larger world of Microsoft; in particular with, but not exclusive to, the Xbox. Android Central also has a focus on the larger world of Google. So where does this leave Crackberry?

Now, while Crackberry does have a ton of different forums most of the discussions seem to be around rumored devices, wanted features, and "would this be a good phone for me?". The main news page also seems to only focus on rumors, Chen's latest interview, earnings calls, a few apps, and then a bunch of "other" topics are more inline with the overarching theme of Mobile Nations and not necessarily Crackberry centric.

I originally thought Connectedly would be a part of Crackberry, seeing as how Blackberry has dedicated a section of their own official website to IoT, but alas, Connectedly is its own thing.

Even Berry Flow delves into topics not really seen on here, but proves there is a larger Blackberry "world" out there that could be explored within these pages.

I suppose the impetus for this post is that Crackberry does not seem to be the same website it was even just 3 or 4 years ago. I imagine that with acquisitions, QNX, and so on there would be a lot more to explore in the world of Blackberry, but I dunno; I'm just some dude here.

What do ya'll think?
    I think I don't go to any of those sites because I don't own one of those devices. If I do bail on BlackBerry I will go to a site that caters to the device I switch to. CrackBerry is down on content because BlackBerry isn't doing much at the moment.

Posted via Z30
    07-27-15 06:17 PM
    The word Blackberry followed by the word unfair are said far too much in this forum.
    Donvald likes this.
    07-27-15 06:25 PM
    I think Crackberry does a great job covering BlackBerry news. The fact is though, that BlackBerry is a much smaller company than any of the others you mentioned---There simply isn't as much going on at any given moment at BlackBerry when compared to Apple, Google, or Microsoft.

Also, take into account that Bla1ze doesn't post completely unsubstantiated rumours (like many of the other BlackBerry enthusiast sites).

Taking all this into account, I think Crackberry posts as much content as they can given the available news that's out there.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 12:15 AM
    Interesting, I had the opposite reaction when I happened to visit the other sites last night. I went to Windows Central to check out Windows phones and felt overwhelmed by all the other content. (Aren't there already plenty of places to learn about Windows generally?)

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 01:02 PM
    I think Crackberry does a great job covering BlackBerry news. The fact is though, that BlackBerry is a much smaller company than any of the others you mentioned---There simply isn't as much going on at any given moment at BlackBerry when compared to Apple, Google, or Microsoft.

Also, take into account that Bla1ze doesn't post completely unsubstantiated rumours (like many of the other BlackBerry enthusiast sites).

Taking all this into account, I think Crackberry posts as much content as they can given the available news that's out there.

Posted via CB10
    At first I wanted to say that's right, why put rumors like that out there.

But then I look at the top of the CrackBerry site and the first button is RUMORS... with as little as there is going on. Why not post some of these rumors as he seems to feel some of them aren't so rumorish in the pod casts?

But then what is a REAL INDICATION of the lack of funding that CrackBerry is getting... is some of the rest of the buttons on the main tool bar..

THE BEST - Top article was written almost a year ago. So I guess it's been that long since they have had a good story?

HOW TO - well if you need to install 10.2.1 from 18 months ago they have you covered as that was the top story.

APPS - EDITORS' CHOICE APP GALLERY - there are some apps in there that don't even work anymore. Not sure if these were Kevin's or Bla1ze's picks.

But it all comes down to you spend money on the things that make you money....Can't fault Mobile Nations for not providing the staff needed. We are in better shape than webOS Nation | webOS Forums, News, Reviews, Apps and Help
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    07-28-15 03:58 PM
    They could start posting cooking recipes if you would like that.

CrackBerry forums are used more than the other 4. Also people comment on articles posted.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 04:15 PM
    I agree with the op but the facts Re mobile nations aren't willing to pay anymore contributors. So crackberry is what it is.. which is still great as long as Bla1ze is still around

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 05:03 PM
    This is the new normal when it comes to BlackBerry.

Long gone are the days of the videos of KM and the gang at a BlackBerry conference with their Playbooks n chains...the threads of overnight sleepover parties waiting for OS updates...the how to video of OS changes (from 6 to 7 and from 7 to 10)

BlackBerry is moving to the enterprise side of things and realistically there are more things happening with Android/iOS etc.

I'd want to see quality vs quantity. I like the weekly app updates...BlackBerry oriented news and the odd tech article is good. Doesn't have to be as busy as the other sites.

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    07-28-15 05:08 PM
    Why not post some of these rumors as he seems to feel some of them aren't so rumorish in the pod casts?
    Podcasts are a different beast.. when you say something.. you can be clear in what you're saying and I always identify the things I say as entirely unsubstantiated. You put it into text, people don't read it fully and run with it and fully believe it as fact. Then, when it turns out to be wrong, people will use the against you and hold you accountable for it as if it was fact you presented, when in reality that fact was entirely born from their own minds. I don't risk my credibility over someone simply not reading for 'site hits' or to produce 'linkbait'.

But then what is a REAL INDICATION of the lack of funding that CrackBerry is getting... is some of the rest of the buttons on the main tool bar..

THE BEST - Top article was written almost a year ago. So I guess it's been that long since they have had a good story?

HOW TO - well if you need to install 10.2.1 from 18 months ago they have you covered as that was the top story.

APPS - EDITORS' CHOICE APP GALLERY - there are some apps in there that don't even work anymore. Not sure if these were Kevin's or Bla1ze's picks.
    That's not really an indication of 'funding', that's more organizational than anything. A lot of those 'topic pages' as we call them went up and haven't been all together updated since then. Each week I go through and update several of them to organize some of the content but some of them there haven't been any updates that are even applicable. Also, they are driven by the tags on the articles put up. If a tag is missing then it doesn't go to those pages. But noted, I'll aim to have them updated more often. I'll fully take the heat on that one.

Pretty much this... BlackBerry has changed. I've addressed this before MANY times. I'm not going to go into it again. At the end of the day, I work with what I got and I bring you all what I can. Some people will see the change in BlackBerry and realize this, others won't. The long and short of it is, BlackBerry doesn't have as much of a consumer focus anymore and that limits what can be done. It's not just CrackBerry being affected either, take a look around at other BlackBerry sites. In fact, I encourage it. Look at how many of them are doing even less than what I'm doing here with CrackBerry. That's going to continue. Some BlackBerry sites will just die off but one thing I know for certain, CrackBerry will be around for a very long time yet, posting what ever is relevant to our audience.

The Berry Flow podcast, which features Crackberry editors including Bla1ze as regular commentators, has tons of content that is not making its way onto Crackberry, or if it is, only in a watered down form. In terms of news, there is actually a lot going on. How much of it is relevant to the average Blackberry user depends on interest levels, but Blackberry has, and will continue to, move past mobile OS and handheld devices. Like it or not, that is the future of Blackberry as a company.
    And there's the rub. There is A LOT going on but A LOT of it is closed off and kept out of the public eye (even Chen mentioned this, not being being able to say company names etc) plus, it's not really relevant to our audience. Our audience is mainly comprised of consumers, not Enterprise. The best example of this.... the BlackBerry Security Summit just last week. By comparison to say a device launch, hardly anyone tuned into it and those that did mostly just wanted to hear about devices and were pretty disappointed when it all revolved around security. No one cares about security... until after the fact. When it's too late. For the most part, it just ends up being something to complain about on social media when another company gets hacked.. news for a few days and then it blows over and no one cares again until another company gets hacked.
    07-28-15 05:19 PM
    i hate how i come to crackberry, refresh for news but only get a 'sale' on useless items
    07-28-15 06:20 PM
    Unfair advantage? Wouldn't the term "unfair advantage" signify that the different MN sites are somehow in competition with each other? They're not. There's no advantage or disadvantage. Higher traffic or participation from iMore, WPC, or AC, doesn't diminish the value of CB. Simply put... none of the MN sites place much stock in reporting on thin rumors. They're not into creating or manufacturing "exclusives" based solely on market trend guesses or conjecture. The MN sites report whats actually going on. While other BB sites might have a lot more stories, they're mostly conjecture and guesses. Many of which rarely pan out to be true. Which type of site would you rather rely upon? Granted it kinda sucks rocks that there's not a whole lot of actual BBRY news at the moment, but to manufacture stories would make CB an opinion based editorial site instead of an actual news site, which would not be a good thing.
    eldricho and Bla1ze like this.
    07-28-15 07:15 PM
    I may be in the minority, but I'm interested in BlackBerry in the Enterprise, since I'm an IT guy that runs my own BES (only for myself, unfortunately). So I would like more articles/features on Enterprise stuff, including BES, security, etc. I'd also like to see more QNX-related stuff, which in some cases could be cross-posted to Connectedly. I'd also like to see features on BlackBerry Channels. I know there are channels that promote other channels, but that kind of thing would seem like a good running segment on CrackBerry.
    peter0328 likes this.
    07-28-15 07:37 PM
    I recall Bla1ze the EIC stating they were quite receptive to receiving submissions.

But, then again, it's easier to complain then contribute!
    jaydee5799 and Flatman like this.
    07-28-15 07:50 PM
    They've tried cross posting 'mobile' news on CB and they always get burned at the stake by the petulant 'uber fans'.

So now we're left with nothing but some case adverts, an 'app round up', and maybe one or two pieces about some enterprise service BlackBerry acquired.

We get what we deserve I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 07:50 PM
    They've tried cross posting 'mobile' news on CB and they always get burned at the stake by the petulant 'uber fans'.
    Right, there was even a period of time people would get upset when we posted about T-Mobile despite there being plenty of T-Mobile BlackBerry users.. now that T-Mobile and BlackBerry are cool again, it's all good lol.
    07-28-15 08:19 PM
    Is CrackBerry also in catch 22 situation wrt hits vs content? IMO it seems so.

My only gripe is CB can do a lot more in Apps where it can highlight special functions of Apps, comparison of Apps etc. While I appreciate weekly app-review, a comprehensive App review is due for long time. Ex. Apps linked to Hub. Spam Box, Secure Hub, App Lock, Follow Mail, Inbox Zero, Lock Message. Also Note Apps starting from Remember, Secure Notes, Geo-notes, Evernote, DNote, SwiftNote.

If resource is an issue, then.....
    07-29-15 03:36 AM
29 12