I recently purchased the 8830 and am...well I'm an addict. I can't go anywhere without it. The problem with is that I live at the beach. I go to the beach 2-3 days a week. Of course, I bring my beloved 8830. I'm neurotic about getting sand in or on it. It's an impossible situation because...I'm at the beach...and there's alot of sand at the beach.

Has anyone had any issues with sand in the keyboard/trackball? Am I crazy for even bringing it to, what appears to be, such an unfriendly environment?

Who wins the battle, Crackberry or The Beach?
    08-19-07 01:54 PM
    Dear TreyStyles,

I would bring a beach bag similar to a gym bag and by doing so the BB would be protected in the bag and you could view all your emails and whatnot in the bag so if it slipped out of your hand, it would never land in the sand. If that is not a viable choice, then I would make sure the BB had some kind of shield over the whole BB so there would be no way any sand could get into the device. Me personally, I would go the option of the bag and just view it inside the bag otherwise I would never take a chance of damaging the BB.

Hope whatever you decide, you have a great time at the beach.

Gia
    08-19-07 02:07 PM
    I think Gia has a good idea about keeping it your beach bag, but you might even want to take it one step further. Put it in a zip-lock baggie. The plastic is thin enough to be able to feel the buttons and trackball. It would be disposable and you wouldn't have to worry about getting sunscreen all over the screen!
    08-19-07 02:22 PM
    I was for two weeks on vacations. I was carrying my BB at the beach, and I was playing with it, between swimming.

My BB was full of salt and sand, but not inside it, just outside.
    Everything is working great, after 2 weeks with the 8800 at the beach
    08-19-07 03:36 PM
    I am a fan of ziploc myself--double protection in the inner pocket of my beach bag. I try to take deep breaths when we are apart. Felt naked going in the ocean solo!
    08-19-07 04:06 PM
    All good suggestions. Thanks everyone! I will try the ziplock bag idea. That sounds like a viable/cost effective solution to my neurosis. But it sounds like even if I do have some sort of ungodly mishap (ie. dropping it in the sand) the 8830 will prevail!
    Last edited by TreyStyles; 08-19-07 at 04:16 PM.
    08-19-07 04:14 PM
    I think this would be a good long term solution for you:

Coming Soon: OtterBOX BlackBerry 8800 Series Case Review | CrackBerry.com
    08-20-07 11:26 PM
    Thanks kasper. I'll have to look into the Otter Box. Does that fully enclose the bb? The case I have now leaves the keyboard and screen unprotected.
    08-21-07 09:56 AM
    I haven't seen one, but the one they designed for the 8700 was fully enclosed.
    08-21-07 01:16 PM
    K. I'll have to check it out. Hopefully it's fully enclosed. Thanks again...
    08-21-07 09:11 PM
    Kelly Rowland even takes her 8800 with her in the sea.
    Now there's a crackie if I ever saw one,lol!

She rocks
    08-22-07 04:07 PM
    I am a fan of ziploc myself--double protection in the inner pocket of my beach bag.
    Same here. Cheap and good protection from sand and water drops...

Or you can always get some solution like Aquapack...
    08-22-07 04:30 PM
    I think Gia has a good idea about keeping it your beach bag, but you might even want to take it one step further. Put it in a zip-lock baggie. The plastic is thin enough to be able to feel the buttons and trackball. It would be disposable and you wouldn't have to worry about getting sunscreen all over the screen!
    I agree w/Mini, Gia, and Kasper....you're not neurotic, you're addicted....lol It's so funny when I read beach i immediately thought of "the shore" I'm from NJ too. We just moved to GA, but we go to Myrtle Beach and Destin Florida all of the time now. I haven't tried the ziplock, but I do have a huge beach bag where "granny" (yes I've named her...the info is another thread) is fully protected..Isn't it great to be surrounded by people that actually understand your addiction. OH to answer your original question...the BB wins over everything.....
    Last edited by cant live witout my bb; 08-22-07 at 04:46 PM. Reason: had to add something
    08-22-07 04:43 PM
    I was browsing through the CrackBerry store and found this case which would work:

Aquapac Handheld Case - Accesories
    09-04-07 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD