Hi,

I'm about to go on a trip for the first time with my CrackBerry and I would like to avoid hefty roaming charges.

I get charged like 3 bucks per MB, so I want to keep it to the bare minimum (Email only).

Does the BlackBerry "ping" stuff or do other things that might also result in data transfer (I won't browse or chat)?

Thanks!
    04-07-09 11:42 AM
    The phone part does stay in contact with the network, but there is no exchange of data taking place.

Your email will be continue to be pushed to you unless you turn off Data Services. You can selectively turn it back on to receive your email when you know you have a good connection.

You are using a Wifi equipped model, does your carrier support Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA)? If they do, you can avoid the roaming data charges by using it in a Wifi location.
    04-07-09 11:48 AM
    Unfortunately, I don't have UMA. I just rely on EDGE or GPRS to push mail to me.
    04-07-09 11:52 AM
    If you turn off data services, like reed said, you won't get your email, but there won't be any data transfer taking place either

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 12:07 PM
    Yeah, but I want to get email, given each one is around 20k, so I have to have data services on which is why I wanted to know if something in the background would be pinging servers for a reason.
    04-07-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD