Hi @all!

I just decided to change the title from "CrackBerry is done" to "Is CrackBerry done?", just to make it a more open conversation.

Why do I start this topic?

I browse this site regularly for as long as I switched from Android to OS 10. And I always liked the blog entries about leaked and rumored devices, news about OS 10 and availability of applications for BlackBerry's OS. These were simply BlackBerry committed topics and there has been no better source for that kind of stuff. BlackBerry was something unique out there, just like Apple and stood out against the majority of Android smartphones.

But since the transition to Android, I feel like there are no more leaked pictures of upcoming devices. And news about Android apps or new Android releases aren't really BlackBerry specific and there are most likely better sites for getting news about that topic.

So there's a huge gap that needs to be filled. And to me it feels like that gap is filled with a lot of advertisement. No matter if it's about Amazon, language lessons, VPN services or what do I know... It's not really BlackBerry specific anymore and I just keep asking myself why I browse this webpage at least once a day. There is not relevant information whatsoever left. I could just switch on the TV for a commercial break and get the same from it....

So I really ask myself – why do I browse CrackBerry anymore?
    11-07-18 07:58 AM
    Hi @all!

I just decided to change the title from "CrackBerry is done" to "Is CrackBerry done?", just to make it a more open conversation.

Why do I start this topic?

I browse this site regularly for as long as I switched from Android to OS 10. And I always liked the blog entries about leaked and rumored devices, news about OS 10 and availability of applications for BlackBerry's OS. These were simply BlackBerry committed topics and there has been no better source for that kind of stuff. BlackBerry was something unique out there, just like Apple and stood out against the majority of Android smartphones.

But since the transition to Android, I feel like there are no more leaked pictures of upcoming devices. And news about Android apps or new Android releases aren't really BlackBerry specific and there are most likely better sites for getting news about that topic.

So there's a huge gap that needs to be filled. And to me it feels like that gap is filled with a lot of advertisement. No matter if it's about Amazon, language lessons, VPN services or what do I know... It's not really BlackBerry specific anymore and I just keep asking myself why I browse this webpage at least once a day. There is not relevant information whatsoever left. I could just switch on the TV for a commercial break and get the same from it....

So I really ask myself – why do I browse CrackBerry anymore?
    We'll need CrackBerry around as long as BlackBerry branded devices are still produced
    11-07-18 08:29 AM
    We'll need CrackBerry around as long as BlackBerry branded devices are still produced
    That is...... why?

There is no other forum and blog on mobile nations for a speperate android device brand. They are all on mobile nations android platform. There are even dedicated forums for BlackBerrys running Android. So seriously this site is obsolete. The only reason for this blog/forum to exist – the OS that made the difference – is about to vanish.
    11-07-18 09:09 AM
    Why does this topic keep coming up? It has been discussed many times, including a thread started last week.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-18 09:25 AM
    Why does this topic keep coming up? It has been discussed many times, including a thread started last week.

Posted via CB10
    Meh. Mostly being instigated by dejected BB10 fanboys that refuse to accept reality.

I still remember one hardcore BB10 member here that declared/predicted the Priv would be the last BlackBerry. Whoops. 😀
    11-07-18 09:37 AM
    I think it has changed in some of its coverage and things. I mean CB is more involved directly with BlackBerry mobile and the promotion of the devices so they're not going to go against that relationship and release things before they're ready.

There's still the support network here but I do agree it has changed from the original days.

Is it dead? Absolutely not. It's just different.
    john_v likes this.
    11-07-18 09:45 AM
    I think it has changed in some of its coverage and things. I mean CB is more involved directly with BlackBerry mobile and the promotion of the devices so they're not going to go against that relationship and release things before they're ready.

There's still the support network here but I do agree it has changed from the original days.

Is it dead? Absolutely not. It's just different.
    It's also a little harder to get a heads up on devices when the hardware is coming out of China.

In the old days of BlackBerry, there were far more opportunities for leaks as many had personal relationships with employees.

But to be fair, early filings with regulatory agencies have given us a lot of hints.
    Rico4you and Gajja like this.
    11-07-18 10:00 AM
    Meh. Mostly being instigated by dejected BB10 fanboys that refuse to accept reality.

I still remember one hardcore BB10 member here that declared/predicted the Priv would be the last BlackBerry. Whoops. ������
    This topic is related to BB10 because there already IS a dedicated forum for Android BlackBerrys on Android central. You can discuss literally any topic there and get all the news about other android devices as well. Plus you'll really get news there. Not just advertisement with a small hint of useful news, like regulatory filings, conite mentioned. These are really rare!

And it's not really uncommon to switch manufacturers and stay inside the Android ecosystem. Afterall on Android central (or literally any of those 100 forums about Android) you'll have more unbiased news and heads up, because it's not involved with a single manufacturer.

So IMHO it really makes no sense to head over to this website, that has adverts all over, when you can get the whole Android experience on another site. Except for of cause, you do not want to know about any other brands at all because you're afraid that all that makes you're device special is in fact a pkb. None of the other items BlackBerry mobile offers is really special at all! Apps can be used on any device and security updates are becoming popular in general....
    11-07-18 11:54 AM
    This topic is related to BB10 because there already IS a dedicated forum for Android BlackBerrys on Android central. You can discuss literally any topic there and get all the news about other android devices as well. Plus you'll really get news there. Not just advertisement with a small hint of useful news, like regulatory filings, conite mentioned. These are really rare!

And it's not really uncommon to switch manufacturers and stay inside the Android ecosystem. Afterall on Android central (or literally any of those 100 forums about Android) you'll have more unbiased news and heads up, because it's not involved with a single manufacturer.

So IMHO it really makes no sense to head over to this website, that has adverts all over, when you can get the whole Android experience on another site. Except for of cause, you do not want to know about any other brands at all because you're afraid that all that makes you're device special is in fact a pkb. None of the other items BlackBerry mobile offers is really special at all! Apps can be used on any device and security updates are becoming popular in general....
    There's a little bit more than just security updates that BlackBerry provides but I do get your point. This is still a unique forum that provides great support from some serious BlackBerry gurus which you likely won't get at a more generic forum.
    11-07-18 11:57 AM
    AC forums for Blackberry are slow as can be. We get more traffic in our Key2 forum in a day than probably a month over there. Seems CB is far from not needed and done
    11-07-18 12:02 PM
    There's a little bit more than just security updates that BlackBerry provides but I do get your point. This is still a unique forum that provides great support from some serious BlackBerry gurus which you likely won't get at a more generic forum.
    You are right about the support by gurus here. But this in depth knowledge is mostly needed for tinkering around with legacy devices. Androids just work all the same. The most explicit thing is the release of BB Apps for other Android devices and the knowledge shared about autoloaders. But you don't need a Guru to tell you how to change a ringtone, how well the camera performs or other stuff like that.
    Last edited by markus2107; 11-07-18 at 02:08 PM.
    11-07-18 12:50 PM
    AC forums for Blackberry are slow as can be. We get more traffic in our Key2 forum in a day than probably a month over there. Seems CB is far from not needed and done
    If you look into that from an economic point of view, it's a given fact. But if you just read the titles of the all those threads, you get that a lot of users here just don't get what issues are BB related and what are Android related.

I see there are lots of ppl coming from legacy devices and do stick around here and keep posting on crackberry because the box still says BB on it, regardless of what OS is working inside and who manufactures the device. This way keeping them selfs uninformed about basic Android stuff.
    11-07-18 12:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    Because it's mostly true and evident in how much there is a lack of interesting content on CrackBerry. It's really only the forums that keep it going.. Not so much the articles.
    cimarosti likes this.
    11-07-18 12:59 PM
    If you look into that from an economic point of view, it's a given fact. But if you just read the titles of the all those threads, you get that a lot of users here just don't get what issues are BB related and what are Android related.

I see there are lots of ppl coming from legacy devices and do stick around here and keep posting on crackberry because the box still says BB on it, regardless of what OS is working inside and who manufactures the device. This way keeping them selfs uninformed about basic Android stuff.
    That's precisely why we are here then... is it not?

Just the fact that there is still a lot of activity all over the forum says it's still needed. Even the old BlackBerry Support forum directed users here when it was shut down.

The fact that many here switched from BB10 and older to BB android a while ago means there's plenty of experience to help guide those just now switching over.

And there is still a contingent of users who are only now getting into BB10 who need some guidance. Especially those who somehow find and load up a developer OSs on their phones and wonder what happened to the file manager, media player and picture viewer.

And honestly, AC is not the be all end all for Android devices. Maybe it's because there are so many devices, but activity there is not that much.
    11-07-18 02:35 PM

I still remember one hardcore BB10 member here that declared/predicted the Priv would be the last BlackBerry. Whoops. 😀
    Or Android fanboys who refuse to accept the reality that BB10 is still great. LOL

Perhaps we can stop with the name calling and recognize that people come here for a variety of reasons? Everyone is welcome, and we don't have to agree on which approach to mobile is "superior".

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-07-18 02:39 PM
    That's precisely why we are here then... is it not?

Just the fact that there is still a lot of activity all over the forum says it's still needed. Even the old BlackBerry Support forum directed users here when it was shut down.

The fact that many here switched from BB10 and older to BB android a while ago means there's plenty of experience to help guide those just now switching over.

And there is still a contingent of users who are only now getting into BB10 who need some guidance. Especially those who somehow find and load up a developer OSs on their phones and wonder what happened to the file manager, media player and picture viewer.

And honestly, AC is not the be all end all for Android devices. Maybe it's because there are so many devices, but activity there is not that much.
    Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough.

BB Android users might be in need of guidance. But here's just a point where so many people go wrong. There is NO BB Android. There is simply Android!

No matter what preinstalled Apps you have – it's the same OS that all the other brands offer. With some goodies, that one could find helpful or not. But that's again the same with all the other manufacturers. Learning about the real Android world means learning about alternatives as there are clearly a lot of users out there, that are not satisfied with the hardware offered by BB Mobile.

And sure, there are still active users on OS 10 forums, but this site tries to move away from them, as CrackBerry clearly gets money from TCL.

Once OS 10 is ultimately gone, this website is not that much more than commercials bundled together... it's sad. But when was the last time they got exciting news here? Since there are no more leaked news it's nothing more than what all the other news sites can offer.

And don't get me wrong. I personally don't care much for AC. I like other Android based sites more, but they at least see Android as a whole. They can compare devices of the same eco system and don't just blindly say the newest BB device is the best one...
    11-07-18 03:20 PM

BB Android users might be in need of guidance. But here's just a point where so many people go wrong. There is NO BB Android. There is simply Android!

No matter what preinstalled Apps you have – it's the same OS that all the other brands offer. With some goodies, that one could find helpful or not. But that's again the same with all the other manufacturers. Learning about the real Android world means learning about alternatives as there are clearly a lot of users out there, that are not satisfied with the hardware offered by BB Mobile.

And sure, there are still active users on OS 10 forums, but this site tries to move away from them, as CrackBerry clearly gets money from TCL.

Once OS 10 is ultimately gone, this website is not that much more than commercials bundled together... it's sad. But when was the last time they got exciting news here? Since there are no more leaked news it's nothing more than what all the other news sites can offer.

And don't get me wrong. I personally don't care much for AC. I like other Android based sites more, but they at least see Android as a whole. They can compare devices of the same eco system and don't just blindly say the newest BB device is the best one...
    As someone who is using both BB10 and a BlackBerry Android phone daily, I partially agree with you that CB risks becoming just an Android site with no differentiation vs. AC. But I don't think it's that simple.

For me, "BlackBerry" means more than either a particular OS or a particular device. It's an approach to using mobile phones for work. Specifically, it's a focus on efficient, effective formal, written communication and management of communications, time, tasks and people.

So far, BlackBerry Android hasn't delivered on the things that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry, as far as I'm concerned. Instead it implements a similar feature set, but without the ease and simplicity of legacy OS/device combos, combined with a stock Android experience. If BlackBerry on Android doesn't improve significantly, in terms of its "BlackBerryness", I agree with your assessment that there's going to be little incentive to maintain a separate community.

But, I'm still hopeful that BlackBerry on Android will improve to the point where it offers an experience distinct enough from the rest of Android to deserve a dedicated space. Only time will tell if my hope is rewarded.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    john_v and cckgz4 like this.
    11-07-18 03:30 PM

I'm not sure what your agenda is here.

The fact is, the site still gets tonnes of hits, and has an active community. That all means it makes money.

It will stay alive for as long as that continues.
    john_v likes this.
    11-07-18 04:12 PM
    I definitely prefer a BlackBerry brand site specific then the jumble of AC. As long as I have a Blackberry Crackberry will always be my go to site. It has more of a family feel to it.
    Flatman, Sigewif, john_v and 2 others like this.
    11-07-18 04:21 PM

But that's not entirely true. BlackBerry has made some modifications to their own android. It may not be drastic, and it can be debated just what they really did to the kernel. But, for example, the Dtek app is specific to BlackBerry Android, and no other OEM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-07-18 04:26 PM
    First came the iPhone, and CrackBerry was done. Then came the Google, and CrackBerry was done. Then came the GooBerry, and CrackBerry was done. It's been 3 years since then. I'm not done, @CrackBerry Kevin isn't done, @Bla1ze isn't done, a myriad of steadfast members aren't done, and OP, apparently neither are you.

Long live CrackBerry!
    11-07-18 06:08 PM
    This site is a community like many others. I recall when I owned a Mazda minivan. It wasn't much different than the Honda minivan, except it was smaller. But that Mazda minivan site was a community of dedicated folks.
    This site is similar. Many of us came from BBOS or BB10. Heck, I don't even own a BB anymore (but my wife and daughter do) and I visit often. The AC BlackBerry forums are crickets. And the Key series of phones differentiate themselves enough to be unique among the slabs.
    Yes there are lots of generic posts on the home page and some ads, but AC isn't much better.
    11-07-18 08:46 PM
    First came the iPhone, and CrackBerry was done. Then came the Google, and CrackBerry was done. Then came the GooBerry, and CrackBerry was done. It's been 3 years since then. I'm not done, @CrackBerry Kevin isn't done, @Bla1ze isn't done, a myriad of steadfast members aren't done, and OP, apparently neither are you.

Long live CrackBerry!
    BigBad, I must say I love the term GooBerry. I may steal it from you as I assume it is okay terminology here.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing and hplovecraft like this.
    11-07-18 10:30 PM
    BigBad, I must say I love the term GooBerry. I may steal it from you as I assume it is okay terminology here.

Posted via CB10
    Royalties can be delivered to my PayPal account.
    11-07-18 10:49 PM
    Not as long as there's money to be made from Amazon advertorials.
    11-08-18 05:07 AM
98 123 ...