I have come to the realization that, once I stop using BB10, I likely won't remain very active on CB. (I'm sure some of you will be happy about that!) There are several reasons for this:

1) I don't have much interest in talking about BlackBerry on Android. It's not going to be an important part of my working life the way legacy BlackBerry systems have been. I find most of the magic to be missing compared to the legacy UX. These days, mobile is a consumer platform that supports work, and I don't much care enough about the consumer side of mobile to waste time discussing it.

2) I have no expertise to share when it comes to using Android, and don't imagine I will develop much. Others around here are much better at it!

3) I don't like the CB app on Android, especially for forums. The top left menus don't support one-handed browsing. It's not as easy to see which threads have new posts since my last visit because they are not bolded, and it's slower to browse, as fewer threads display on each screen (4 vs. 8, on average). The net effect of this is that I rarely use the Android CB app, and almost never post from it.

I expect that, once I can't use the CB app on BB10, I'll probably stop logging in and just read articles about items of interest.

There's still a year to go, so you're not free of me yet, and my opinion might change. But for now, this is starting to feel like the beginning of the end for me.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-02-18 12:37 PM
    Not really much different than folks who go to different devices that are not BlackBerry Android, although some do stick around in some cases. I've seen folks leave from here and head to Android Central for their device support, same for iOS and iMore. But in your case, if you dunno where you're headed after BB10, yeah...
    11-02-18 12:42 PM
    Not really much different than folks who go to different devices that are not BlackBerry Android, although some do stick around in some cases.
    Yes, but I never imagined myself as one of them! I still can't imagine not using a BB10 or BBOS phone on a daily basis. It will be traumatic when I have to give it up, even if it's no surprise. I had hoped I could learn to like Android, but the gaps are just too significant for me so far.

Bla1ze and Digital_Islandboy like this.
    11-02-18 12:47 PM
    We can always change your username to BBAndroidAdopter

(also, have you given Tapatalk a try for the forums app? If not, give it a shot)
    11-02-18 01:59 PM
    I don't even use my Z10 anymore, but I have the BlackBerry apps on my Galaxy S8, so that's why I still hang around - probably as much as I ever have.

As for the CB android app, yeah, it's not good.

But I use the dedicated CB Forums app instead. It's much better. Different from CB10, to be sure, but much easier to follow where you've been than the main CB android app. In fact, I'm not even sure why there's a forum section in the CB android app. It's good for the articles, but that's it.
    11-02-18 02:54 PM
    I have come to the realization that, once I stop using BB10, I likely won't remain very active on CB. (I'm sure some of you will be happy about that!) There are several reasons for this:

1) I don't have much interest in talking about BlackBerry on Android. It's not going to be an important part of my working life the way legacy BlackBerry systems have been. I find most of the magic to be missing compared to the legacy UX. These days, mobile is a consumer platform that supports work, and I don't much care enough about the consumer side of mobile to waste time discussing it.

2) I have no expertise to share when it comes to using Android, and don't imagine I will develop much. Others around here are much better at it!

3) I don't like the CB app on Android, especially for forums. The top left menus don't support one-handed browsing. It's not as easy to see which threads have new posts since my last visit because they are not bolded, and it's slower to browse, as fewer threads display on each screen (4 vs. 8, on average). The net effect of this is that I rarely use the Android CB app, and almost never post from it.

I expect that, once I can't use the CB app on BB10, I'll probably stop logging in and just read articles about items of interest.

There's still a year to go, so you're not free of me yet, and my opinion might change. But for now, this is starting to feel like the beginning of the end for me.

Use Tapatalk. It's what the rest of the world uses for forums.
    app_Developer and Tsepz_GP like this.
    11-02-18 02:59 PM
    Use Tapatalk. It's what the rest of the world uses for forums.
    Not sure who, "the rest of the world" consists of, but the one time I tried Tapatalk I remember it having a lot of ads. I'm sure there's a pro version without ads, but I already have more apps on my phone than I want, with zero desire to add more for anything that doesn't relate directly to my work. CB is the only non-professional forum in which I'm active, and the only one I access on Mobile.

11-02-18 03:51 PM
    Not sure who, "the rest of the world" consists of, but the one time I tried Tapatalk I remember it having a lot of ads. I'm sure there's a pro version without ads, but I already have more apps on my phone than I want, with zero desire to add more for anything that doesn't relate directly to my work. CB is the only non-professional forum in which I'm active, and the only one I access on Mobile.

So replace one with the other. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    app_Developer and Tsepz_GP like this.
    11-02-18 03:57 PM
    I thought your plan was to continue using BlackBerry 10 for a few years for strictly email usage?

You have been a great contributor to the community and I think we would like to see you stick around as long as possible.

Sooner or later even the most loyal BlackBerry 10 fan and user will have to give it up, not sure how long that is but I doubt it's anything longer than 3 years from today.

Logically the hardware wears out, the parts are harder to find, the shops who can and know how to repair them are fewer and fewer and things like BlackBerry link are done.

Either way good luck!

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 and eiruvrav like this.
    11-02-18 09:21 PM
    Maybe just to play devil's advocate and with all due respect, my KEYone silver edition with 3 measly GBs is 5 times more useful to me than the Bold I used for three years and the Passport I used for two years, and I liked both of those devices a LOT. I think this memory of BB7 and BB10 is understandable but selective. YES, I wish Blackberry had found a way to market phones at a profit, but what's done is done. In the meantime, I continue to prefer my KEYone over my Samsung Galaxy s8 and can think of no other phone I would want, except a bug-free KEY2.

So, when all is said and done, what phone are you going to turn to and why? I'm genuinely interested.
    11-03-18 02:45 PM

I feel you brother.

Remember this forum 5 years ago? BB10? It was really magic!

I bought a passport SE. Had fun but then I put my Sim into the Key1. It is sad. Had fun with the Passport but you can't use it 2018. And Key1 is okay. But I won't reach the magic of BB10.

I feel you!
    11-03-18 03:56 PM
    Yes, but I never imagined myself as one of them! I still can't imagine not using a BB10 or BBOS phone on a daily basis. It will be traumatic when I have to give it up, even if it's no surprise. I had hoped I could learn to like Android, but the gaps are just too significant for me so far.

I like you have the same problem. I dual carry bb10 and a key2 and for some reason I just can't connect with android like I did with BBOS.
    11-03-18 06:35 PM
    I thought your plan was to continue using BlackBerry 10 for a few years for strictly email usage?

You have been a great contributor to the community and I think we would like to see you stick around as long as possible.

Sooner or later even the most loyal BlackBerry 10 fan and user will have to give it up, not sure how long that is but I doubt it's anything longer than 3 years from today.

Logically the hardware wears out, the parts are harder to find, the shops who can and know how to repair them are fewer and fewer and things like BlackBerry link are done.

Either way good luck!

Posted via CB10
    That's still the plan. But at some point BB10 won't work with MS Exchange and OneDrive anymore. At that point, it won't be useful to me. Until that time, or until the CB app stops working on BB10 you'll find me hanging around here mucking things up for people claiming BB10 is dead.

bbfanfan and eiruvrav like this.
    11-03-18 06:47 PM
    Maybe just to play devil's advocate and with all due respect, my KEYone silver edition with 3 measly GBs is 5 times more useful to me than the Bold I used for three years and the Passport I used for two years, and I liked both of those devices a LOT. I think this memory of BB7 and BB10 is understandable but selective. YES, I wish Blackberry had found a way to market phones at a profit, but what's done is done. In the meantime, I continue to prefer my KEYone over my Samsung Galaxy s8 and can think of no other phone I would want, except a bug-free KEY2.

So, when all is said and done, what phone are you going to turn to and why? I'm genuinely interested.
    When I can no longer use BB10, I'll probably continue to use my KEYone, but I will cut way back on my time on mobile.

I'm double carrying the KEYone now, but I only use it occasionally for Web browsing or Android apps, and can't imagine using it the way I do my BB10 phones. I'm not going to repeat the reasons as I've done that plenty in the past.

When I carry my Z10, I use it for 4-6 hrs of SOC a day. When I carry my KEYone without the Z10, I use it for less than one hour a day and rely on my LTE Windows 10 laptop instead.

The bottom line is that, except for email/calendar/tasks/contacts/notes, I don't do much on mobile. And every single one of those functions work better for me on BB10.

I simply haven't found mobile apps that make me more productive at work on Android, and I've tried dozens at this point, from CRMs to MS Office and Google apps, they don't improve my life or effectiveness. A PC is better for work, and BB10 is better for my MS Exchange-based tasks.

Last edited by bb10adopter111; 11-04-18 at 03:13 PM.
    11-03-18 06:59 PM
    I like you have the same problem. I dual carry bb10 and a key2 and for some reason I just can't connect with android like I did with BBOS.
    Me too. My Keyone is okay, but doesn't resonate like my... Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    11-03-18 11:30 PM

You are so dramatic

Pretty sure you will find something you like and adapt to it.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-09-18 12:25 PM
    The CB app still works on BBOS, I would expect CB10 to be fine for a very long time.
    11-09-18 12:29 PM
    I do wish CB Android could work as well as CB10 with unread threads being bold, etc.

B1aze, can you hook that up?
    eiruvrav likes this.
    11-09-18 11:14 PM
    I do wish CB Android could work as well as CB10 with unread threads being bold, etc.

B1aze, can you hook that up?
    Use the CB Forums app instead.
    11-10-18 12:20 AM
    Use the CB Forums app instead.
    Just downloaded. Much nicer.
    11-10-18 12:22 AM
    Just downloaded. Much nicer.
    Yeah, it's not the same as CB10, of course, but better than the forum part of the full CB Android app.
    11-10-18 12:30 AM
    I feel you brother.

Remember this forum 5 years ago? BB10? It was really magic!

I bought a passport SE. Had fun but then I put my Sim into the Key1. It is sad. Had fun with the Passport but you can't use it 2018. And Key1 is okay. But I won't reach the magic of BB10.

I feel you!
    You hit the nail on the head. Plus things are going to move quickly I cannot believe there's 60 more days for this year. Then bam we're in 2019 already.

Supposed quicker 5G phones are going to be coming out in the next year, year and a half and more and more websites are switching to HTML 5 that don't work on the current BBOS 10. Plus with App World possibly going away upgrades by third party become questionable at best.

If I can find a larger PALM model phone I might give that a look over. Or I might give a second look to the FireFox OS phone. The FireFox phone had a lot of icons without clear obvious indication what each thing did at first look so I might open some things and perhaps get pleasantly surprised by something there.

I feel like the movie scene after the Titanic sank and all the little boats are looking around for some survivors. Like if BlackBerry is sinking and I'm trying to find some driftwood or something else to cling onto for rescue.
    11-10-18 06:30 AM
    You hit the nail on the head. Plus things are going to move quickly I cannot believe there's 60 more days for this year. Then bam we're in 2019 already.

Supposed quicker 5G phones are going to be coming out in the next year, year and a half and more and more websites are switching to HTML 5 that don't work on the current BBOS 10. Plus with App World possibly going away upgrades by third party become questionable at best.

If I can find a larger PALM model phone I might give that a look over. Or I might give a second look to the FireFox OS phone. The FireFox phone had a lot of icons without clear obvious indication what each thing did at first look so I might open some things and perhaps get pleasantly surprised by something there.

I feel like the movie scene after the Titanic sank and all the little boats are looking around for some survivors. Like if BlackBerry is sinking and I'm trying to find some driftwood or something else to cling onto for rescue.
    It sounds like you'll be putting yourself in the same situation you are in now if you go with something like the Firefox OS phone.
    Unless you are planning on having it just as a secondary device to something more mainstream like an Android or iPhone.
    11-10-18 07:04 AM
    I don't even use my Z10 anymore, but I have the BlackBerry apps on my Galaxy S8, so that's why I still hang around - probably as much as I ever have.

As for the CB android app, yeah, it's not good.

But I use the dedicated CB Forums app instead. It's much better. Different from CB10, to be sure, but much easier to follow where you've been than the main CB android app. In fact, I'm not even sure why there's a forum section in the CB android app. It's good for the articles, but that's it.
    Forum app still can't sort participated list by ones with new comments at the top. Drives me nuts!
    11-10-18 07:05 AM
    Forum app still can't sort participated list by ones with new comments at the top. Drives me nuts!
    It really IS crazy that a feature that supports active conversations in the forum exists on CB10 but not on the Android versions of CB.

When I try to use the Android apps, I find myself much less engaged because I end up having to reread threads to see if any new posts have been added.

11-10-18 07:45 AM
61 123