Could someone make maleware on BlackBerry?

This is a curious question after reading this article on ZDNet:
    McAfee: Malware going mobile

I find it interesting on the chart of mobile targets. I understand BlackBerry security but do you think in the future there will be some threat on the Phone.

In the History of BlackBerry's was there maleware? What are you thoughts on the Security of BlackBerry?
    02-08-11 12:10 AM
    AFAIK, all BB software has to be approved by RIM. If it turns out to be malware, it gets canned almost immediately. There's never been a known BB virus either...
    02-08-11 12:16 AM
    AFAIK, all BB software has to be approved by RIM. If it turns out to be malware, it gets canned almost immediately. There's never been a known BB virus either...
    Software does not need to be approved by RIM. Anyone can create a BB app and put it on a website for people to download. But, an app could not be automatically install on a BB. The user would have to initiate the installation and set the permissions.
    CASH likes this.
    02-08-11 12:23 AM
    The short and sweet answer is yes, malware can be downloaded on to a Blackberry. Honestly, malware can be downloaded on to any OS because the end user must download and accept the permissions of the malicious app. Any user who downloads apps from untrusted sites leaves themselves wide open to malware, even if they own a Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 06:47 AM
    One of the things that goes into developing an application for BlackBerry is signing keys. To access pertinent information on the BlackBerry (such as PIM information, accessing GPS, device information, web access, and so on), you have to have a set of signing keys.

You don't have to have the keys to actually develop the application, but if you want to install the application onto an actual BlackBerry, you have to sign the app first. That means RIM known which keys were used to sign the application.

If someone creates malware, and it is reported to RIM, they will know who wrote the app. They can then revoke the signing keys. It won't stop the already-made application from spreading, but it can lead to a lot of headaches for the developer. It would make it easy for any law enforcement agency to track malicious developers.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-08-11 03:01 PM
    Like K Bear said. It takes us to allow the permissions before anything malicious can occur. I have read a bit a bout Fexispy. But that software also requires a copy to be downloaded on to the victims device. Seems it's virtually impossible to hack a clean Berry without someone enabling or loading the app first. Never take candy from strangers! Hahaha.

02-08-11 06:25 PM
    Three words: The Jared Company. Just kidding, their apps aren't malware. However...
    02-08-11 06:45 PM
    Close enough CASH, but it's up to us to NOT Allow the %*&/$, permissions!

02-08-11 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD