Just came across this article, which actually makes a lot of sense. Could we see a comeback of the original RIM name, or something else?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-bl...ange-its-name/
    12-17-18 07:05 AM
    Just came across this article, which actually makes a lot of sense. Could we see a comeback of the original RIM name, or something else?

Doubt it.

BlackBerry still has cachet in the security business. They've also been hard at work building brand recognition in IoT and Auto, so it would be foolish to suddenly complicate matters.
    Last edited by conite; 12-17-18 at 09:11 AM.
    12-17-18 07:17 AM

Makes too much sense. Won't happen.
    12-17-18 07:49 AM
    That article makes no mention of "RIM"... only asks if there should be a name change. Presumably, to something else with no preconceived notions. And even "Research In Motion" has baggage.
    12-17-18 09:08 AM
    About as confusing as who Nokia is....
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-17-18 09:24 AM
    I think that both BlackBerry and TCL would benefit if BlackBerry sold the name to TCL. I think that BlackBerry just wants to be in the security business. They could bundle up their OS business and sell that too.

The other way they could go is for TCL to market their phones under the TCL nameplate and BlackBerry provides the OS and BlackBerry Secure.

TCL needs lower costs and BlackBerry would benefit from getting their name back.

RIM is dead. If they changed their name, I would suggest Berry.
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-17-18 10:14 AM
    I think that both BlackBerry and TCL would benefit if BlackBerry sold the name to TCL. I think that BlackBerry just wants to be in the security business. They could bundle up their OS business and sell that too.

The other way they could go is for TCL to market their phones under the TCL nameplate and BlackBerry provides the OS and BlackBerry Secure.

TCL needs lower costs and BlackBerry would benefit from getting their name back.

RIM is dead. If they changed their name, I would suggest Berry.
    You are assuming that TCL would agree to pay what BlackBerry would want for the "name" and the OS business.... and that people would then trust a Chinese National company that 100% controlled development of hardware and software. TCL would be in the same position they are owning the Palm Brand...

The question is, does the name BlackBerry hurt there Enterprise/Automotive business? I sorta doubt it does, as these customers know there is a difference. At this point, I'm not sure how many know there are still BlackBerry phones out there....
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    12-17-18 10:55 AM
    By OS , I just mean the skin and not “BlackBerry Secure”.

TCL would probably benefit from adding BlackBerry Secure like Punkt does.

You do raise a valid point about Chinese phones and their security issues. BlackBerry made a poor decision in picking a Chinese OEM , even if it was the only game in town.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 12-17-18 at 12:03 PM.
    12-17-18 11:12 AM
    That article makes no mention of "RIM"... only asks if there should be a name change. Presumably, to something else with no preconceived notions. And even "Research In Motion" has baggage.
    Actually it does...

"What should BlackBerry's new moniker be? I'm thinking BlackBerry could revert back to its original name: Research in Motion. The name more applies to its enterprise of things strategy and leaves the door open for more transformation in the future. Should the company want to take a product line as a name again QNX would be more appropriate."
    12-17-18 11:21 AM
    Actually it does...

"What should BlackBerry's new moniker be? I'm thinking BlackBerry could revert back to its original name: Research in Motion. The name more applies to its enterprise of things strategy and leaves the door open for more transformation in the future. Should the company want to take a product line as a name again QNX would be more appropriate."
    You're right. I missed that.
    12-17-18 11:36 AM
    I think that both BlackBerry and TCL would benefit if BlackBerry sold the name to TCL.
    They'll never sell the BlackBerry name unless there's nothing left in the coffers. License? Sure, that's one thing. But outright sell it off? Nah. Not happening. Putting aside the history there, which is a huge component, there's still too much associated with the BlackBerry branding. They'd have to rename a massive majorority of what's on the market and all their subsidiaries as well.

- BlackBerry UEM
    - BlackBerry Dynamics
    - BlackBerry Workspaces
    - BlackBerry 2FA
    - BlackBerry QNX
    - BlackBerry AtHoc
    - BlackBerry Radar
    - BlackBerry Spark
    - BlackBerry Secure

etc etc etc - https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/products/all-products

Arguably, they haven't even fully transitioned from Research In Motion lol. There's still active documentation out there carrying that branding. And technically, we're all using the naming wrong anyway, if folks want to get hyper technical. BlackBerry Limited is the company. BlackBerry products and services exist.
    12-17-18 12:44 PM
    Yes , I see what you are saying. They should not have rented out their name regardless.
    12-17-18 02:13 PM
    Yes , I see what you are saying. They should not have rented out their name regardless.
    At this point I expect Chen agrees... Might have been more about the "potential" that could have been - from an investor point of view. Remember that group in Indonesia (now MIA) was gearing up for millions of units to be produced. And it seemed like BBMo ought to be able to pickup where BB10 left off in enterprise and government. And Optiemus was going to do two phones - back in 2017 (not 2018). Those thing had value to keep the stock up during that transition period.

But none of that happened, and it's doubtful combined there are more than a million units moving each year. Investors have pretty much written off any chance of a BlackBerry resurgence in smartphones. At best BlackBerry Limited is breaking even of the smartphone licensing with these volumes. And Chen doesn't strike me as someone willing to just break even for too long.

"Name" is why I doubt we see another full licensing deal... Might see Keyboard by BlackBerry or BlackBerry Secure as a key-point on a devices features in the future.
    12-17-18 02:34 PM
    They could also make more use of the Cylance name for certain aspects of the business...
    12-17-18 03:24 PM

In retrospect, they should never have changed the name in the first place. But the time to change back would have been when they gave up on handsets. The problem is that they never made a clean break but made a series of incremental changes. Now it's too late, and the BlackBerry brand is too well known, even if it is diminished in consumer handsets.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 12-17-18 at 06:23 PM.
    12-17-18 05:25 PM
    I always thought that it was a bad move to change the name of the company to that of a single division. Now, because the BlackBerry phone market share tanked, the other divisions are affected. It would have been better for RIM to acknowledge that the BlackBerry division isn't doing well or is being licenced out, while the other divisions are growing.

If it weren't so darned expensive to change back, I'd fully support it. Even so, it might still be worth it.

Alternatively, they really need to make people more aware of the BlackBerry brand beyond phones. When a car is powered by QNX, it should be clearly marked, powered by BlackBerry, as with any and every product that is made by them. They need to make the average person realize that they are much more than phones.
    12-17-18 06:33 PM
    hell NO! not with Chen still sitting in the chair - don't drag the good name in to the mud please (BB stock keep losing value, even the analyst used to be high on software only lost hope, at least RIM still associated with some glory of past).
    12-17-18 07:14 PM
    It a lot of ways it never made sense for the company , RIM to change their name during the launch of BlackBerry 10, to BlackBerry Ltd. It was a failing product and a failing company in a lot of ways.

John Chen was asked something about changing the name back a few years ago when he became CEO and he said something funny and true.

When asked if he should change the name of the company back to Research in Motion for additional business , he said "if my child was getting poor grades in school, should I change his name?"

In essence he's right, BlackBerry had a product and a financial problem and it won't be solved by a name change. This was a few years ago and BlackBerry's financial performance and products have improved since then. If they start growing again and become a larger force in the market for security with new products and verticals, hopefully the name recognition won't be so bad anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-17-18 08:36 PM
    If this happens, i can only think of RIM and Analdroid comments coming in from that user who has FLOWING written in his crackberry signature.
    12-18-18 07:40 AM
    If this happens, i can only think of RIM and Analdroid comments coming in from that user who has FLOWING written in his crackberry signature.
    Shh.. he'll hear you.
    valer466 likes this.
    12-18-18 09:10 AM
    In retrospect, they should never have changed the name in the first place. But the time to change back would have been when they gave up on handsets. The problem is that they never made a clean break but made a series of incremental changes. Now it's too late, and the BlackBerry brand is too well known, even if it is diminished in consumer handsets.

I agree. I think having a different name than BlackBerry would remove the stigma.
    12-18-18 09:37 AM

Flowing nowhere.
    12-18-18 12:23 PM
    Imagine if General Motors had changed the company name to "Pontiac" just before killing the brand.
    12-18-18 01:34 PM
    Imagine if General Motors had changed the company name to "Pontiac" just before killing the brand.
    This is effectively what they did. It made sense at the time because they were literally going "all in" on the handset business. But we all know how well that worked out.

12-18-18 02:37 PM
    neva eva eva
    12-18-18 05:17 PM