Title seems straight forward enough.
    There are multiple versions of the QNX system. Current the Playbook is on QNX Neutrino 6.6 last I heard. I realize BB10 (quite possibly QNX8) requires dual core processing but do olderversions of the microkernal? Could BB7 devices or even BBOS5 devices somehow get a "QNX" update in the future?

Do any versions of the OS even support the kinds of CPU's within older Berries?
    It's be an interesting side project in my opinion.. Yes I realize the importance of BB10 and how it's been said that BB10 is the new ground for which RIM will walk, but it's much smarter not to put all your eggs in one basket RIM...
    Any thoughts? Am I just being crazy again?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-06-12 05:28 PM
    If RIM wants BB10 to succeed and change everyone's view of a BlackBerry, they almost have to leave Java based BlackBerrys behind.

BB7 and older, through RIM's lack of vision, created a stigma that won't be forgotten.

The best way to move forward is forget about the past on only focus on the future. No need to concern themselves with making QNX compatible with phones that weren't commercially accepted.
    06-06-12 05:53 PM
    Seems unproductive considering they won't make money on it. If it can't (device) run OS10 it's not gonna get QNX.
    06-06-12 05:54 PM
    If they put any version of QNX on any old device...especially an OS5 device, you would ruin get experience and damage RIM's image even further. Just look at the PlayBook...I don't want any version of that running on a OS5 device. Good Lord that would be a terrible experience. Even on a Bold 9900, there is no way RIM could provide a decent QNX performance on a 1.2 ghz processor.

True next gen performance requires true next gen hardware.
    06-06-12 06:24 PM
    Windows has a low end version of its OS for weaker devices why wouldnt RIM? oh yeah it's RIM

06-06-12 07:19 PM
    Get the first round of BB10 and then when currently high-end hardware becomes less expensive, think about building a cheaper BB10.

As for Windows Phone, a lot of apps and features are missing from their low end models, because Microsoft set the requirements so high in the beginning. Not a nice experience on a low-end WP7 phone.
    06-06-12 07:24 PM
    It's better than Symbian

06-06-12 07:31 PM
    RIM needs to focus their efforts on the future, not the past. It would take considerable developer resources on their end to do this.

As well, what apps would you run then? It introduces a whole new set of issues.
    app_Developer, Spencerdl and Rello like this.
    06-06-12 07:50 PM
    Somebody let me know when I can STOP pounding my head against the wall
    06-06-12 07:57 PM
    Somebody let me know when I can STOP pounding my head against the wall
    When no BBOS devices exist any more so no one needs to ask for BB10/QNX on them? Probably. Maybe. Hopefully.
    06-06-12 08:08 PM
    Ya, I think it could be bad business just cause it would decrease the incentive to upgrade devices while spending resources making old devices compatable when they are fine the way they are.
    06-06-12 11:29 PM
    I thought that RIM had confirmed they will not be updating any of the current phones to a QNX platform as they don't have the hardware.
    06-07-12 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD