Serious question. I'm not a programmer, but it's obvious that the Hub on Android isn't as tightly integrated as it is on BB10. I don't know if that's because BlackBerry has their work cut out for them on improving the software or if they're more restricted because it's not their OS.

I know a central Hub of integrated messaging isn't for everyone, but I think a lot of people would love that kind of all in one app on any Android device, especially with the functionality you get on BB10. BlackBerry partners with Google on webinars, et al. I'm wondering people's thoughts on whether they could work with Google to further integrate the software so it's seamless? I know BlackBerry currently uses it as a selling point for the Priv, but assuming they get out of hardware, I'd hate to see it disappear with them.

Is part of the problem cooperation with other vendors like Facebook / WhatsApp, etc? I can see how companies would prefer you use their app so perhaps they restrict APIs (or whatever) that prevents that kind of integration?

Anyway, love to hear some feedback. It's curious to me that no one else (that I'm aware of) has made something similar on iOS or Android.
    04-07-16 06:27 PM
    Is part of the problem cooperation with other vendors like Facebook / WhatsApp, etc? I can see how companies would prefer you use their app so perhaps they restrict APIs (or whatever) that prevents that kind of integration?
    Yes, that's a huge part of the problem, and the biggest reason that previous attempts to do a hub (what, you thought BB10 invented the idea?) on Android ended up being withdrawn. And it's only going to get worse as apps mature past their growth stage and into their "monetize or die" stage.

Public APIs are slowly being withdrawn, making third-party apps nonviable, and forcing users into the app itself. That's the trend, and it would hurt a hub on Android just as it hurt the hub on BB10.
    04-07-16 07:17 PM
    I didn't necessarily think they invented the idea, didn't BBOS have something like that as well? Also, maybe Palm or WebOS, never used those platforms - my first smartphone was an iPhone 3G and it definitely wasn't in iOS. What was Android's attempt at an integrated messaging experience?

That's too bad in any event. I think the Hub / integrated messaging is convenient and a timesaver. But yeah, the whole in app monetization strategy is unfortunate. I get it - they're in business to make money - but from a consumer POV that sucks, lol. You'd think Google with their userbase could manage to pull it off. Couldn't they do it with how notifications are already handled anyway?
    04-07-16 07:27 PM