Ok folks... was wondering what the feeling is out there for the actual COST of going wireless for your phone/email/internet. Is it truly a GOOD or BAD thing?

Is it causing trouble and stress in your home and family life? Is it interfering with friends and social activities?

Or do you see the value and benefit of being connected 24/7 worth much more than any negatives it might bring on?

Thoughts?
    04-16-07 10:41 AM
    I can't imagine not being wireless. We run a business, a full time job and raise three kids. What most people have to know is to say no. It is ok to NOT answere the phone all the time. It is why we have voicemail. On the other hand, I have called in drunk drivers to 911, reported accidents and can talk to my children anytime I need. It is very liberating to be able to take care of business and not have to back to the office to get on a computer. Just know when to say when.
    04-16-07 11:22 AM
    I think it is a GOOD thing. Of course, it can cause stress and trouble at home, but that's only if you let it. You have to set some boundaries and know when to say when. Now of course, as crackberry addicts, that is hard for us to do... but my family will always come first.

That being said, without being connected 24/7, that would be harder to do. My wife is always in and out of the office, and I find keeping with each other via BB Messenger works great for us.
    04-16-07 11:30 AM
    Being mobile for both my wife and I is very important. We both obviously have BBs. My main reason was work orientated aswell as pleasure, but we have BB Messenger open all the time and thats how we communicate most of the day. My wife wouldnt go or be anywhere without her BB.

I also communicate with other people i work with and its great to be able to deal with things that would take 5 mins in your personal time, but could perhaps cost you 2 hours to sort out the next, as saves some escalation of issues. It gives you some edge over your work compeitors, but also your clients feel like they can rely on you.

Like having the internet 24/7 at home, technology allows you to do the same on the move. Afterall, its nice being able to just check something whilst out. Alot of communication generally is done by email and previously when everything was phone, you would be hesitant to do something incase you missed that call...

As for the home life....Well, i get less grief cos i am not the only one whose phone pings....

04-16-07 03:14 PM
    Well, I'm happily divorced, so my personal life isn't affected by it (and no, the BB wasn't to blame for that).

Right now my job demands most of my time. I work long hours and I'm on call 24x7, so going wireless for me is really a necessity since I'm not home very much . It allows me to stay in touch and keep connected.
    04-16-07 08:50 PM
    I (like wxboss) am happily divorced. Now while my little puppy does sometimes get annoyed with the amount of time I am on the computer and BB, I find it irreplaceable.

I work in my own business and frankly couldn't do it (or wouldn't want to) without the BB, cell phone, wireless laptop, etc.... The BB of course makes it able for me to respond quickly to clients (although friends too). Also, a cell phone for me has been a staple for many years (I too have used it in the car to report accidents and emergencies).

I do need to set better boundaries on vacation, which has been a challenge. And I could do a better job of not checking my BB while at dinner with friends. I must say though, for the most part, my friends know this is a part of me and it has even helped them my constant connection to technology helps me to solve their technology issues (I have been doing that for years!).

In summary...for business, can't do without out...for personal, can't do without it and could do a bit better with boundaries (but then I wouldn't be a Crackberry!!).
    04-17-07 05:42 PM
    I love being 'wireless', but the overall cost from time to time can be a killer, albeit, it's self inflicted...

Since I work in I.T. I've always felt as if my time is not my own anymore. BUT, I've learned to walk away, and as hard as it maybe, I've done the same with my BlackBerry to make sure family members get my time - even if it's for 4 minutes (yes, that right, not even 5! Ha)...
    04-17-07 09:18 PM
    I'm a medical type, and the job frequently demands that I be on call. Plus I have a husband and a son who are on the road, and an elderly mother. My son has a BB, husband decided to go with a cheapie prepaid cell provider, and I put Mom (age 84) on the family and friends plan but did not get her a BB since she is having enough problems with a dumb cell phone as it is.

If I were not wireless, I would have to sit next to the phone constantly, as all of these folks need to be able to reach me 24/7!
    07-23-07 09:04 PM
    I think everyone on here is going to be in favor of going wireless.

Sure, it is a luxury to be able to be contacted 24/7, but it is also nice to have the option. You can always turn the device off if you for some reason wish to be out of contact. I think once you have a BlackBerry though, it is no longer a luxury, but a necessity on which your survival depends. It truly is an addiction.
    07-23-07 09:12 PM
    I never carried a cell until my son was born. Then the whole "mommy is paranoid" thing happened.
    For me the BB has actually helped my home life. I can go places and do more things with my family and not worry about what is happening at work. Since I am the office in our small business, I always worried about being out of touch. Now I can relax a bit cuz I can take my office with me.
    07-23-07 09:22 PM
    I'm an empty-nester, and also, like Mara and wxboss, I'm happily divorced, too. (and no, wireless was NOT the reason for my divorce) My dog doesn't mind the amount of time that I spend on the computer or doing other things - he's old (13), so he just snoozes most of the time anyway. I'm happily involved with someone, but our schedules are so fractured that if we weren't wireless, we would hardly be able to have time to talk to each other! He has an hour commute (each way), and if he's not on the phone with work, he's probably on the phone with me (hands-free, of course!).
    07-27-07 04:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD