So your company pulled your BES, trashed out legacy devices, either allowed BYOD or handed out corporate iphones etc and they are not locked down.....big cheer by all. Well hang on. What I am about to tell you is why BlackBerry will be successful going forward, and why BES10 is a great solution.

This is a factual event. A corporate device issued to Employee A was being allowed to be used by his teenaged son. The son was sent a compromising photo. Thankfully the kid deleted it, but the police did trace the path and the corporation received a tongue lashing so to speak of its liability. This is a small example of how corporations can be hurt, even if paperwork was in place.

That is why BES10 is so important in combination with BB10 devices. You have the locked down work side, then the personal side drawing a defined line in the sand. You can't allow employees or circumstances to choose the boundaries. Corporations who stop taking security measures and carry the new BYOD and carefree attitude will learn the hard way.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 01:05 PM
    Thanks for sharing the story. The consequences of not using a locked down system are far too large to tolerate. What the IT people in some of these corporations are thinking is beyond my comprehension. As the tales get told maybe people will begin to reawaken to the need for real security.
    05-15-14 01:46 PM
    Thanks for sharing the story. The consequences of not using a locked down system are far too large to tolerate. What the IT people in some of these corporations are thinking is beyond my comprehension. As the tales get told maybe people will begin to reawaken to the need for real security.
    The IT department are probably thinking I will use the devices my employer permits or authorizes for us to pay for. I know if I were the IT I would make my opinion kn own and let it be known that I assume NO liability for anything the employee does with the device.

But that's just me.

Oh, and OP, thanks for sharing.
    05-15-14 01:50 PM
    This episode was brought to our owners attention by another owner. Hence the top is now looking into BES10. As we are mostly BB10 devices less one iphone, I am all for it. I don't need my bread and butter compromised by someone's lack of judgement. I think one device, work and personal split is ideal.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 02:59 PM
    So your company pulled your BES, trashed out legacy devices, either allowed BYOD or handed out corporate iphones etc and they are not locked down.....big cheer by all. Well hang on. What I am about to tell you is why BlackBerry will be successful going forward, and why BES10 is a great solution. This is a factual event. A corporate device issued to Employee A was being allowed to be used by his teenaged son. The son was sent a compromising photo. Thankfully the kid deleted it, but the police did trace the path and the corporation received a tongue lashing so to speak of its liability. This is a small example of how corporations can be hurt, even if paperwork was in place. That is why BES10 is so important in combination with BB10 devices. You have the locked down work side, then the personal side drawing a defined line in the sand. You can't allow employees or circumstances to choose the boundaries. Corporations who stop taking security measures and carry the new BYOD and carefree attitude will learn the hard way.

Posted via CB10
    What I don't understand is, what kind of corporation allows an employees son to use a company issued device for personal use?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 03:09 PM
    What I don't understand is, what kind of corporation allows an employees son to use a company issued device for personal use?

Posted via CB10
    A dumb company with little to no knowledge about technology.
    05-15-14 03:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    A corporation not concerned with security. They want to be seen as a cool company using iPhones, and not actually looking at the reason why the company needs their staff to carry cell phones, which in most cases, is email, phone calls, and some viewing of documents. If BlackBerry was doing it for a company before, unless the company did major changes, there is not a reason to switch.

In my area, the department only cares about the work being done properly and securely. I still see Curves and Bolds being carried around, as those are sufficient to perform the work duties.
    05-15-14 03:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    They didn't. The employee did, thinking nothing if it.....and the son didn't do anything wrong either really. a friend just forwarded him a photo. Point being, there are all kinds of companies that are vulnerable and they don't realize it.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-15-14 04:42 PM
    I will say that sometimes IT has no control over certain things, as a decision is made at the top and IT is task to enforce it. Often times change only come when something happens, in which case a smart person would have records stating that they inform others of the security risk and that they was over ruled.
    05-15-14 06:21 PM
    I don't follow. How would BES10 have prevented the dad from letting the son use the phone, and how would it have prevented the son from receiving an inappropriate photo from another kid? I don't see how the company could protect itself in a situation like this (except by training on phone usage), regardless of the type of smartphone. Is it just that the police wouldn't have been able to trace it with BES? I'm willing to learn if someone wants to explain it to me though.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    serbanescu and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    05-15-14 07:03 PM
    I don't follow. How would BES10 have prevented the dad from letting the son use the phone, and how would it have prevented the son from receiving an inappropriate photo from another kid? I don't see how the company could protect itself in a situation like this (except by training on phone usage), regardless of the type of smartphone. Is it just that the police wouldn't have been able to trace it with BES? I'm willing to learn if someone wants to explain it to me though.

Or maybe it's just that the photo doesn't ever go into a corporate server if it's on the personal side?

05-15-14 07:05 PM
    Not to mention the corporate data would not have been in the hands of the child. If we really have to explain ot to you then there os not much hope for you really.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 07:25 PM
    Not to mention the corporate data would not have been in the hands of the child. If we really have to explain ot to you then there os not much hope for you really.

Posted via CB10
    But that's not the problem pointed out in the post. The post said nothing about the child accessing corporate data on the phone. Even then, I'm not sure how BES helps. I don't have a blackberry, so I don't know, but is there a separate password for the corporate side of the phone when you turn it on? In this case the kid apparently had the ability to access the phone so must have known the general unlock code. Is there a further step that would stop you from then accessing corporate info on the phone once it's unlocked?

chr1sny and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    05-15-14 07:31 PM
    OP very important post you have made, I hope that the moderators take note and do a write up of the risks of BYOD and not having a proper secured corporate device. This sort of thing can do a lot of damage to Corporate and is just ONE example of the fiasco that's occurring at the moment by badly managed IT departments and their suggestion to upper management.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 08:18 PM
    OP very important post you have made, I hope that the moderators take note and do a write up of the risks of BYOD and not having a proper secured corporate device. This sort of thing can do a lot of damage to Corporate and is just ONE example of the fiasco that's occurring at the moment by badly managed IT departments and their suggestion to upper management.

Posted via CB10
    The Mods would need a link... or a story that made sense.

There have been plenty of articles here about how BES can protect companies. And most IT people with experience know the merits of BES...

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    05-15-14 10:12 PM
    The Mods would need a link... or a story that made sense.

There have been plenty of articles here about how BES can protect companies. And most IT people with experience know the merits of BES...

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    This posting by OP should start that process of investigative reporting, oh but alas, that type of journalism has gone the way of the Dodo bird, I'm certain that OP's case isn't singular and also certain that IT will be reluctant to disclose as it will reveal the garbage that they are doing moving away from true corporate protected devices and systems to other trendy and popular weaker systems. The whole BYOD is a threat,(penny wise and pound foolish) Clearly they have made the choice to go with entertainment rather than security.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 10:25 PM
    But that's not the problem pointed out in the post. The post said nothing about the child accessing corporate data on the phone. Even then, I'm not sure how BES helps. I don't have a blackberry, so I don't know, but is there a separate password for the corporate side of the phone when you turn it on? In this case the kid apparently had the ability to access the phone so must have known the general unlock code. Is there a further step that would stop you from then accessing corporate info on the phone once it's unlocked?

Yes you can have a different work password from the phone password.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 12:05 AM
    Yes you can have a different work password from the phone password.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't know that. I can definitely see the benefits of that. I have an iphone for work (BB10 is not an option at my firm), and as far as I know there is no way to set limits for access to things like corporate email once the phone is unlocked. Of course, protection of corporate data and preventing malicious attacks are probably the most important purposes there, not avoiding legal liability for a corporate owned and issued device. If a corporate owned phone contains inappropriate photos of a minor like this, I'm not sure that it would be any defense by the company that it was on the personal side of the phone. It's a pretty arbitrary software distinction when it comes to liability for illegal content. Still a nice limit for companies though to protect their data.

05-16-14 03:47 AM

The police traced it through the photo as it originated in the area through the people involved. How BES10 can help protect the company is that with BB10 devices it can isolate the work side, lock it down for professional use only, and then what happens on the personal side, well that is the individuals responsibility and a line exists.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 07:34 AM
    Or don't be stupid and let your kid play with your business phone, I'm sure it's in your paper work from the company that the "user" is responsible for the device.
    BES or personal, nothing inappropriate should be going on a phone I issued to personal for company usage.

Sent from my super secret shoe device using Tapatalk HD
    howarmat, mikeo007 and J Morehouse like this.
    05-16-14 08:22 AM
    Didn't know that. I can definitely see the benefits of that. I have an iphone for work (BB10 is not an option at my firm), and as far as I know there is no way to set limits for access to things like corporate email once the phone is unlocked. Of course, protection of corporate data and preventing malicious attacks are probably the most important purposes there, not avoiding legal liability for a corporate owned and issued device. If a corporate owned phone contains inappropriate photos of a minor like this, I'm not sure that it would be any defense by the company that it was on the personal side of the phone. It's a pretty arbitrary software distinction when it comes to liability for illegal content. Still a nice limit for companies though to protect their data.

You get the illegal portion of the content. Now if charges were laid by the parties involved, well that would expose all the names involved to the media. Where does the story go? Well it could blow over, or go viral. Attach a company name to it, who really had no dealings with what went down, and well you get the picture. Again, security etc is only important after the fact.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 08:34 AM
    Excellent thread. I submitted a thread earlier this week that has many parallels to this on.

it's titled as Risk Management

Posted using my amazing and intelligent Z10
    miker476 and Playbook007 like this.
    05-16-14 08:55 AM
    Ok. Don't know much about MDM but don't other systems lock down the phone if the info is deemed top secret? So how should it be any different depending on what phone? And mist don't need a top secret locked down phone. Most just need email access etc.

So how would the corporation be charged with anything when it's the persons personal BYOD phone? Just because it fetches email?
    05-16-14 09:09 AM
    The police traced it through the photo as it originated in the area through the people involved. How BES10 can help protect the company is that with BB10 devices it can isolate the work side, lock it down for professional use only, and then what happens on the personal side, well that is the individuals responsibility and a line exists.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but I don't see how having "balance" on a BB10 device would have helped, as there is no SMS on the "professional" side of balance. SMS/MMS is tied to the phone number and your device still only has one number.

The only way BES would have "protected" the company is by having full control of the device and having a policy that prevents the use of SMS/MMS use on the device. And that is what many business do, and texting is not an approved means of communications in most. Communications are in many industries required to be saved, it's one of the reasons that BlackBerry believes that xBBM will become popular.
    05-16-14 09:23 AM
    You get the illegal portion of the content. Now if charges were laid by the parties involved, well that would expose all the names involved to the media. Where does the story go? Well it could blow over, or go viral. Attach a company name to it, who really had no dealings with what went down, and well you get the picture. Again, security etc is only important after the fact.

Posted via CB10
    True, although the media rarely picks up on nuance in a story like that. If they can pin a juicy story on a big company, I wouldn't expect a full explanation of the functionality of BB10. BES and Balance still seem like a good idea though.

05-16-14 10:29 AM
62 123