My wife LIVES in Outlook at work and wants to have access to her corporate email/calendar/etc on a blackberry. However she works for a large corporation who will not provide her a blackberry, nor will they let her buy her own and set it up to work with their BES.

I am willing to get her a blackberry and service out of our own pocket, but is there a way to set it up so it can remotely sync with her desktop Outlook at work (i.e. circumventing the server and their IT department)? I've thought of the BIS route but that is not the ideal solution. The emails she sends has to look like they are actually coming from her corporate accounts. Also BIS wouldn't address remote sync of her calendar.

If not with a Blackberry, perhaps with some other phone/OS (iPhone, Android, palm pre, windows mobile OS)? I love Blackberries but I'm afraid Windows Mobile might be the best solution? I've heard it can sync with Outlook "Web Access" which as her company does have set up it might be the best solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out, and with their IT department being so rigid it doesn't help!
    03-12-10 01:10 PM
    I know I can access Outlook Web Access account with my iphone and have it set up as exchange which will do what she wants. Im pretty sure any phone like WebOS, WinMo, or Android which support Exchange would be the same.

BB likely wont, theyre only made to run on a company's BES or the janky feature-less BIS. Theres no good Outlook solution with BB because they dont care to give one really. They want you on their BES to get real email features that you mention.

Unfortunately for people like her and myself who are general consumers (and make up the majority of their business) who want more than a basic inbox, they let us go to the wayside in terms of getting full featured email and services.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-12-10 at 01:18 PM.
    03-12-10 01:15 PM
    Best not to try and skirt corporate policy. There's a reason why they don't provide her with a mobile device and put those restrictions in place.

Also, I believe there are many more enterprise users of BB's than end consumers.
    03-12-10 01:22 PM
    I would say it could be cause for termination if you did it and they found out. If she gets it to work and starts replying to emails people will soon find out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 01:42 PM
    Also, I believe there are many more enterprise users of BB's than end consumers.
    The article may be almost a year ago but the trend remains, its opposite of what you would think- its now more than 50% consumer base overall with more and more consumers adding each quarter.

It should be an obvious trend though in a way because the corporate sector is expanding MUCH slower than the consumer sector, so its no shock that 3/4 of the new users each quarter are consumer.

Most of RIM's corporate marketshare was already gained a while ago and arent new users so its leveled off in a way.

In the quarter, 80 percent of the company’s net subscriber additions were from non-corporate users compared with a year-ago 60 percent, he said in releasing the company’s latest financial data. That boosted RIM’s non-corporate subscriber base to more than 50 percent in the first quarter.
    RIM: Majority Of BlackBerry Users Now Consumers, Small Businesses - 2009-06-19 18:21:00 | TWICE
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-12-10 at 01:58 PM.
    03-12-10 01:53 PM
    If she can access her OWA via at home, there is no reason she can't set it up on her BB. If they don't allow OWA remote access, then your out of luck. If it is the first option, then do a search for setting up OWA, Yester did a very good job with a thread he made explaining step by step. GL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 02:02 PM
    From a corporate security POV, OWA =/= mobile device.

They may let her access email via OWA, but do not want corporate mail on a mobile device they do not have total control over.

Large corporations take security and security policies seriously. Sooner or later, it'll come out that she accesses her mail on her phone, and that could be cause for termination.
    03-12-10 02:55 PM
    I she allowed to access Outlook using webmail and exchange server? If so, that probably takes care of the access outside the office issue, because the company is already allowing her to do it.
    03-12-10 03:11 PM
    If my work BB happens to be out of reach, I'll just use Safari on my iPhone and pull up Outlook Web Access. This is not a good permanent solution though if she really wants to have full access to work email.
    03-12-10 03:43 PM
    I she allowed to access Outlook using webmail and exchange server? If so, that probably takes care of the access outside the office issue, because the company is already allowing her to do it.
    No, OWA access does not put a copy of the email outside of corporate control. Well, technically it's in the browser cache, but that can be cleared. But I think you know what I mean.
    03-12-10 04:17 PM
    The article may be almost a year ago but the trend remains, its opposite of what you would think- its now more than 50% consumer base overall with more and more consumers adding each quarter.

It should be an obvious trend though in a way because the corporate sector is expanding MUCH slower than the consumer sector, so its no shock that 3/4 of the new users each quarter are consumer.

Most of RIM's corporate marketshare was already gained a while ago and arent new users so its leveled off in a way.

RIM: Majority Of BlackBerry Users Now Consumers, Small Businesses - 2009-06-19 18:21:00 | TWICE
    I stand corrected.
    03-12-10 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD