View Poll Results: Would you want this feature in BB10?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 88.57%
  • No

4 11.43%
    I've always wondered, why do I just see my contacts tiny little picture when I'm on the phone, and there's a bunch of empty space? It always seemed like a waste of space just to have a little rinky-dink contact picture and a little call duration timer and nothing else.

Well, wouldn't it be cool if not only would it display their picture, but it would display right on the call screen any appointments you have with them that day or in the near future (and important dates like birthdays, graduation, promotion, anniversary, etc); recent calls to/from that person showing date and time and call duration; and any files/email/sms/bbm you had with them recently; and LinkedIn or Twitter or FB status updates?

Think of it as different "widgets" that will display when on a call with one of your contacts. It won't display ALL the details of the different criteria, but just enough so you can get a good idea of what it says, and you can click the "widget" (or whatever it would be) to access the full information.

This would help make things more productive as I often times find myself on the phone with someone and I need to dig deep into my BB looking for info in a text or email I had with that person. Or if I need to look over a PDF someone emailed to me while I was on the phone with them - instead of having to exit the call screen and go to messages, now, I can easily just look at the "recent messages from this contact" widget, scroll that specific widget til I find the right email, and doing so without having to leave the call screen! And if I need to view the full email/sms/message I can just click and it will bring me to where I need to go.

Think of the possibilities! I've ALWAYS wanted something like this and a 3rd party app could just never deliver that kind of native intuitiveness that this would deliver.

So, would you like to see this in BB10?

EDIT:

ONE MORE IDEA!

Where it displays the caller's phone number, display the city of the area code, and that way it can display the current weather (temp, icon displaying sunny, cloudy, rain, etc) of that particular town. Of course, the area code doesn't necessarily mean the caller will always be in that city, but it's definitely a nice feature to have!

And taking it one step further, it could display any major headlines in the news regarding that particular city or region... Now I'm just thinking out loud

Mock Up by Alex Hong

Last edited by jranciano; 08-08-12 at 08:17 PM.
    ajst222 and raino like this.
    08-08-12 11:23 AM
    That sounds pretty cool. I could definitely see a use for it. I'd also add button to create an appointment with the contact.
    JR A likes this.
    08-08-12 11:29 AM
    Android just released an app for this, maybe it'll be portable to BB10
    08-08-12 11:37 AM
    3rd party apps are great, but having this as native functionality would be a lot better. Great idea!
    JR A and OniBerry like this.
    08-08-12 11:44 AM
    Considering present Contacts and calendar in playbook OS this wouldn't be a long stretch to incorporate it into phone calls.... And maybe/hopefully already being baked into bb10. Great idea!
    JR A likes this.
    08-08-12 11:55 AM
    Mind you, I am speaking for me only, I would find this an incredible annoyance.

When I place or take a call I want to do just that. I do not need the phone to present me with any other information and certainly not the other parties various statuses, previous interactions or personal information.

Connect the call when I dial it, hang up when I am done and I am perfectly happy.
    JR A, BBPandy and Cesare21 like this.
    08-08-12 12:07 PM
    I'd sooner see native functionality. Earlier today I took a look at the 3rd party app you're referring to, and decided I'd never install it since it takes your private cell number and lists it publicly in the white pages. No thank you.
    JR A and pantlesspenguin like this.
    08-08-12 12:23 PM
    I'd sooner see native functionality. Earlier today I took a look at the 3rd party app you're referring to, and decided I'd never install it since it takes your private cell number and lists it publicly in the white pages. No thank you.
    Root and deny certain permissions.

Seems to work for most

EDIT: Oops, voted no, because I thought it was for a 3rd party app. Native is a tad better, though it's anyone's guess how BB10 will actually incorporate all the little things that should make it function well together. I always assumed BB10 would use widgets somehow.
    JR A likes this.
    08-08-12 12:27 PM
    Root and deny certain permissions.

Seems to work for most

EDIT: Oops, voted no, because I thought it was for a 3rd party app. Native is a tad better, though it's anyone's guess how BB10 will actually incorporate all the little things that should make it function well together. I always assumed BB10 would use widgets somehow.
    I voted yes in your place. The names are not accurate but the count is
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-08-12 at 12:33 PM.
    JR A and OniBerry like this.
    08-08-12 12:31 PM

When I place or take a call I want to do just that. I do not need the phone to present me with any other information and certainly not the other parties various statuses, previous interactions or personal information.

Connect the call when I dial it, hang up when I am done and I am perfectly happy.

There will be an on/off option
    08-08-12 12:52 PM
    I think this would be great. I would like the pic to be a tad larger, good for recognizing the person calling when driving, and some data that is select-able like spouse and kids names or other such things you like to know offhand, same with birthday or anniversary.
    JR A likes this.
    08-08-12 01:39 PM
    @jranciano This is a great Idea. sure would like t see this on BB10. H3ll Would like to see the on my current BB.
    JR A likes this.
    08-08-12 01:45 PM

I quite like the idea, could save a bit of time.

Did a quick mock-up. As we have seen in leaks, this might be the call screen for BB10. So beside the name there's 3 dots to signify there's more info. When you swipe up, you can see the additional information.

Only the middle portion is scrollable if there are more sources of info (calendar, call log, sms, bbm, whatsapp, etc) than the space could display. Swipe down on the area with the 3 dots to hide the info again.

When you want even more info, you click one of them. The relevant app will flow into the screen. Then if you want to return to the call screen, just swipe it to the right (like the demo shown for the email app opening attachments).
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 08-08-12 at 02:04 PM.
    08-08-12 01:59 PM
    I like the idea. That mockup looks like it would work well. That would even satisfy the earlier objection - don't want the info? Don't go there.
    Knightcrawler and JR A like this.
    08-08-12 02:50 PM

Click to view quoted image

I quite like the idea, could save a bit of time.

Did a quick mock-up. As we have seen in leaks, this might be the call screen for BB10. So beside the name there's 3 dots to signify there's more info. When you swipe up, you can see the additional information.

Only the middle portion is scrollable if there are more sources of info (calendar, call log, sms, bbm, whatsapp, etc) than the space could display. Swipe down on the area with the 3 dots to hide the info again.

When you want even more info, you click one of them. The relevant app will flow into the screen. Then if you want to return to the call screen, just swipe it to the right (like the demo shown for the email app opening attachments).

I really like the mock-up! I like how you kept the persons picture enlarged and set the transparency so that it's still visible in the background.

2 Suggestion:

Make the info fields scroll-able: the user can swipe that field left and right to toggle through recent and older status updates, appointments, and messages. And then once the user finds the item they're looking for, the user can touch it and the phone will bring the user to the appropriate app/message/etc.

Also, we could probably make the lower half where the default buttons (speakphone, dialpad, add call, etc) are smaller. They don't need to be THAT big, just big enough to read and press. That way it opens up more real estate to display actual text and/or images from recent messages and recent social networking updates, which would also make it easier to swipe left/right to scan through different messages and make the overall interaction more intuitive.

The mock-up has an OS7 feel to it with the different lines or grid of info. If we could make it actual squares (I keep hearing the word widgets in my head when I think of this idea) dedicated to each criteria, we could probably display the info in such a way that makes scrolling through and selecting easier. I dont know, just thinking off the of my head.

EDIT:

ONE MORE IDEA!

Where it displays the caller's phone number, display the city of the area code, and that way it can display the current weather (temp, icon displaying sunny, cloudy, rain, etc) of that particular town. Of course, the area code doesn't necessarily mean the caller will always be in that city, but it's definitely a nice feature to have!

And taking it one step further, it could display any major headlines in the news regarding that particular city or region... Now I'm just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by jranciano; 08-08-12 at 06:02 PM.
    08-08-12 05:43 PM
    @JR, you have given this a lot of thought and I respect that but for me this is still going to be useless.

There has never been and I doubt there will ever be a time where my phone rings and I think "If only I could see this persons FB ststus" or "I wonder when was my last call" or "What is this persons birthday".

I like that you stated it can be turned off but all things being equal I'd just rather it not exist, as for me (again speaking for no one else), it seems a solution in search of a problem to solve.
    08-08-12 06:02 PM
    @JR, you have given this a lot of thought and I respect that but for me this is still going to be useless.

There has never been and I doubt there will ever be a time where my phone rings and I think "If only I could see this persons FB ststus" or "I wonder when was my last call" or "What is this persons birthday".

I like that you stated it can be turned off but all things being equal I'd just rather it not exist, as for me (again speaking for no one else), it seems a solution in search of a problem to solve.
    And that's totally fine. There will be a lot of people that this will not have any use for. I appreciate the honesty

The 2 main objectives I wanted:

1. More productive
    2. More social

As I stated in the OP, if you're like me, there are times you have to go into your Inbox or exit the call screen and do a universal search and find the info you're looking for, whether it be an email, a text message, an appointment, or maybe just wanted to get info on their LinkedIn or Twitter just to chat about.

It's not perfect, but at least it puts all that EMPTY space to good use, if you do want to that is.

The choice is yours...

08-08-12 06:10 PM

i see your point but as a "business class os" this feature would be invaluable. When your dealing with clients/vendors etc. (even if its as simple as congrats on the new baby) or (how was vacation). Its nice to appear to be informed on the latest with them and make them feel important. You might even learn a bit..
    08-09-12 12:04 PM
    And that's totally fine. There will be a lot of people that this will not have any use for. I appreciate the honesty

The 2 main objectives I wanted:

1. More productive
    2. More social

As I stated in the OP, if you're like me, there are times you have to go into your Inbox or exit the call screen and do a universal search and find the info you're looking for, whether it be an email, a text message, an appointment, or maybe just wanted to get info on their LinkedIn or Twitter just to chat about.

It's not perfect, but at least it puts all that EMPTY space to good use, if you do want to that is.

The choice is yours...

if it wasnt for the multitasking bb button id go crazy, countless times going between emails and the phone screen! A big part of why i originally got my playbook. too often i have to multitask in this way!
    JR A likes this.
    08-09-12 12:09 PM
    i see your point but as a "business class os" this feature would be invaluable. When your dealing with clients/vendors etc. (even if its as simple as congrats on the new baby) or (how was vacation). Its nice to appear to be informed on the latest with them and make them feel important. You might even learn a bit..
    Exactly! Many times when I press the call button to answer a call, there's about a 2-4 second time window of when I'm still looking at the phone screen before I bring it up to my head. I don't really do it consciously, but what I realized is that whenever someone calls, my mind immediately kicks into gear and starts thinking:

1. How do I know this person (unless it's a close friend or family)
    2. Why is this person calling
    3. What do I need to remind myself to bring up when we talk (important notes, dates, etc)
    4. Don't forget what you remembered/thought of in step 3.

if it wasnt for the multitasking bb button id go crazy, countless times going between emails and the phone screen! A big part of why i originally got my playbook. too often i have to multitask in this way!

The BB button along with the menued interface is really what I love about BB phones. But considering a full touch device, the BB button might not be around, and if there are better alternatives that can utilize the extra screen space, why not?

Of course for the QWERTY BB10 devices, even if they kept the BB button and menu options interaction, the feature I'm proposing would still make for an intuitive experience.
    Last edited by jranciano; 08-09-12 at 12:22 PM.
    08-09-12 12:20 PM

As someone in real estate and always on the road often, having this information handy, is invaluable. Being able to know a client's anniversary or some other tidbit, like asking how their spouse is, and recalling the right name, while on the phone goes a long way into developing relationships with others.
    08-09-12 12:36 PM
    OK but there is the thing, I am a business class user. All of the stuff I need to know about anyone I am calling or who calls me I know independent of having my memory jogged by the phone (B/days, anniversaries, family stuff, etc...). If I don't know those things then to me those parties are not important enough for me to have committed their "details" to memory and I am certainly not going to rely on my phone to help me "make someone feel important." (Yes, I am aware how harsh that comes off.)

I am not saying this has no use, in fact, I acknowledge that for some, if not many it will and JR and the rest of the posters to this thread have certainly shown how.
    glennster28 and JR A like this.
    08-09-12 12:42 PM
    @jranciano: I like this idea, a la office 2010 where you can see prior emails from the sender.

If the feature is optional, then it's very good to have. Remember this folks, RIM has always been efficient, meaning getting weather and other such data will eat up some bandwidth and battery too.
    JR A likes this.
    08-09-12 01:11 PM
    I gotta say, that feature is very "blackberry" and I love it.

@kevin or any of the mods, this should be put up on the main page so we could get a better showing of how people feel towards it. And maybe kev could mention this to some of his rim contacts, just to sorta put it into their heads.

Very Kool idea op!
    JR A and glennster28 like this.
    08-09-12 01:53 PM
    I gotta say, that feature is very "blackberry" and I love it.

@kevin or any of the mods, this should be put up on the main page so we could get a better showing of how people feel towards it. And maybe kev could mention this to some of his rim contacts, just to sorta put it into their heads.

Very Kool idea op!
    To have an idea be described as "very 'blackberry'" is to be of a high commemoration.

And to have Kevin put this on the front page of CB would be of the highest
    08-09-12 02:36 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD