Perfect example of why marketing and advertising is so important. Was at a one day networking conference today and someone at my table of 20 people commented on my BlackBerry Classic thinking it was a legacy device.

Without getting defensive I simply showed them the HUB, ability to load Android apps, speed, timeshift, etc. Just a quick two minute run down.

Most were very excited to see just a few of the features especially HUB integration with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. They were all like, that stuff looks great.

So I say why not get a BlackBerry? They just shrug and say I'm an iPhone guy or I like Android too much. So then I challenge them and say you just said how great these features are but so quickly dismiss getting one?

I then ask, "What if iOS9 had the HUB"? 10 people were like, that would be awesome?

So what's the point? It just further confirms what we already know. Most people that buy mobile devices are just followers. If the next iPhone was a flip phone with no apps, Internet, email or anything they'd still sell millions. It would take a couple years before consumers realized they were having blinds pulled down over their eyes.

This is not to say negative things about iPhones or Android devices. It's to make the point that even a room of people that love what they see when they get a BlackBerry 10 demo, won't budge from their iPhone or Android device because their blind trust and need to follow rather than look for innovation. As loyal as I am to BlackBerry I admit if something better came along for my needs I'd jump ship. That's what smart consumers do.

Posted via CB10 with my AT&T Classic
    05-17-15 07:48 PM
    OK, let's test this hypothesis.

I then ask, "What if iOS9 had the HUB"?
    What if iOS 9 or Windows 10 or Android CookieMonster had all the great BB10 features?

By your logic, if we don't immediately leave BlackBerry for them, then 'we're all just followers'. Would we be? Or would it be OK if perhaps whatever BB10 offers to us sufficiently satisfies our needs for a smartphone?

I think people don't leave iOS or Android because iOS and Android are delivering what they need,.. and as long as iOS and Android don't 'drop the ball' like BB did with OS4,5,6,7,.. I don't see that changing in any significant way.
    05-17-15 08:01 PM

What if iOS 9 or Windows 10 or Android CookieMonster had all the great BB10 features?

By your logic, if we don't immediately leave BlackBerry for them, then 'we're all just followers'. Would we be? Or would it be OK if perhaps whatever BB10 offers to us sufficiently satisfies our needs for a smartphone?

I think people don't leave iOS or Android because iOS and Android are delivering what they need,.. and as long as iOS and Android don't 'drop the ball' like BB did with OS4,5,6,7,.. I don't see that changing in any significant way.
    I see your point and don't necessarily disagree. All I meant was really there are difference between "wants" and "needs". BlackBerry delivers both for me, thus I remain with BlackBerry. If I could get it elsewhere I would go.

I guess I should have been more specific to the population I was sitting with. I was surrounded by iOS and Android users that only use their phones as I do for communication, business, and social media. Thus, if they really liked the BlackBerry features I showed they could have their "wants" and "needs" met with BlackBerry.

If what you have sufficiently satisfies you, then by all means of course stay! I just meant there all tons of people that stick with their platform whose needs are not met and could be met elsewhere but won't leave because they care what others think.

05-17-15 08:09 PM
    Followers or not, people have the right to spend their money as they see fit. Amazing how you malign iPhone and Android "followers" while you bait people into following you to the Blackberry Trough.

It is call variety and choice. Do you also try to win people over to the kind of car you drive a well?

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74, Tatwi, TGR1 and 5 others like this.
    05-17-15 08:11 PM
    Followers or not, people have the right to spend their money as they see fit. Amazing how you malign iPhone and Android "followers" while you bait people into following you to the Blackberry Trough.

It is call variety and choice. Do you also try to win people over to the kind of car you drive a well?

Posted via CB10
    Wait...hit the brakes a second. I didn't start the conversation where I was. My phone was on silent on the table and the LED was blinking cause I got a message. Someone made a comment about "2005 called and they want their BlackBerry back.". I simply said this a new BlackBerry with many nice new upgraded features and asked if they'd like to see some. Being that I was surrounded people interested in science and technology. We're all doctors/surgeons and were watching a demo on robotic surgery. I showed them the features and they really liked them. I asked a few questions and that was the end of the conversation. I didn't force anything on anyone. I softly challenged back why not give it a shot if the features look so great and dropped the conversation. What I shared hear was my own observation and thoughts about the conversation. It merely seemed that no matter how great the features were, the bottomline was the decision to dismiss making a change was all in the name "BlackBerry". That's all I meant. I have all Apple products. An iPad, iPad Mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, and so on. An iPhone would be perfect from an ecosystem and syncing perspective for sure. I just prefer BlackBerry's HUB and email. I have no right to say anything about another person's choice if it does indeed meet their needs. But when a group of people say, "I would love that. It would really make things easier when it comes to communicating, BUT I would never use it now because BlackBerry makes it", I think it's okay for me to "feel" that's a bit foolish. Doesn't give me the right to say it to them, but I can certainly think it, right?

05-17-15 08:31 PM
    It is all academic.... BB has for now left the consumer market for Enterprise so expect the user gap to grow... Most users are not adventurous and stay with what they are use to or what their crowd is using.... If your Apple Android WP are doing what you want... why change? All that glitters is new but many take what they know over what glitters....
    vibhorsingh86 likes this.
    05-17-15 08:43 PM
    It is all academic.... BB has for now left the consumer market for Enterprise so expect the user gap to grow... Most users are not adventurous and stay with what they are use to or what their crowd is using.... If your Apple Android WP are doing what you want... why change? All that glitters is new but many take what they know over what glitters....
    With you on that for sure. But these people were all BlackBerry users before. Not your typical consumers. All admit that BlackBerry offers everything they are looking for now with BlackBerry 10. Their only reason they could give for not trying one was the brand name BlackBerry. That's my only point. These people said they were not getting what they wanted from their devices but wouldn't ever switch to BlackBerry.

05-17-15 08:54 PM
    Perfect example of why marketing and advertising is so important. Was at a one day networking conference today and someone at my table of 20 people commented on my BlackBerry Classic thinking it was a legacy device.

Without getting defensive I simply showed them the HUB, ability to load Android apps, speed, timeshift, etc. Just a quick two minute run down.

Most were very excited to see just a few of the features especially HUB integration with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. They were all like, that stuff looks great.

So I say why not get a BlackBerry? They just shrug and say I'm an iPhone guy or I like Android too much. So then I challenge them and say you just said how great these features are but so quickly dismiss getting one?

I then ask, "What if iOS9 had the HUB"? 10 people were like, that would be awesome?

So what's the point? It just further confirms what we already know. Most people that buy mobile devices are just followers. If the next iPhone was a flip phone with no apps, Internet, email or anything they'd still sell millions. It would take a couple years before consumers realized they were having blinds pulled down over their eyes.

This is not to say negative things about iPhones or Android devices. It's to make the point that even a room of people that love what they see when they get a BlackBerry 10 demo, won't budge from their iPhone or Android device because their blind trust and need to follow rather than look for innovation. As loyal as I am to BlackBerry I admit if something better came along for my needs I'd jump ship. That's what smart consumers do.

IOS has people invested with apps and services. Easier for someone with Android to switch over because apps purchased can still be used as long as they aren't using Play services. BlackBerry being late to the party allowed the competition to get entrenched.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 09:27 PM
    Double post

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 09:28 PM
    If OP had a Z30 no one would have noticed or cared. If you like your Classic just be confident in your choice. Tell people that you like having a real keyboard as opposed to typing on glass.

Really, very few care much about phones operating systems or what one can do that another can not. Tell people that your BlackBerry allows you to be more organised and efficient and leave it at that.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-15 09:31 PM
    If OP had a Z30 no one would have noticed or cared. If you like your Classic just be confident in your choice. Tell people that you like having a real keyboard as opposed to typing on glass.

Really, very few care much about phones operating systems or what one can do that another can not. Tell people that your BlackBerry allows you to be more organised and efficient and leave it at that.

Posted via CB10
    More or less that's what I did. But of course since they were all BlackBerry users at that point they asked what makes my new BlackBerry any different so I showed them. It's really not that big of a deal. I was simply making a point that for some people the name BlackBerry alone is enough to stay away regardless of how much they like what they see. I think maybe my original post came off wrong. It's all good.

grover5 likes this.
    05-17-15 09:39 PM

BlackBerry didnt drop the ball till os6/7, thats when qnx should have been released for BlackBerry phones as well as android support. They released os6 as a direct update cause of the iphone3g and its new app store and yeah they should have released a qnx os instead of os6, os7 and os7.1 poor BlackBerry got beaten into last place cause they refused to innovate till it was just too late to catch up marketshare wise.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    05-17-15 11:31 PM
    Basically I can't blame anyone for staying on the platform they're used to. So many BlackBerry users are doing exactly the same thing. In fact I have talked to many of my colleagues about BlackBerry and the it's not like they generally wouldn't like the devices or the brand, however, many have just stated that they're simply feeling comfortable with the platform they're on and don't see a specific reason to switch.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 02:48 AM
    The Hub is great but there's more to Blackberry then just that. Don't forget about the physical keyboard, the efficiency of BB10, the gestures, security, multitasking, paratek antenna and many more. There are so many things that the competitors loses to BlackBerry and people don't realize the brand have a lot more to offer.
    05-18-15 03:16 AM
    We're all followers, we just follow what we like.

By this definition, I'm a BlackBerry follower, because even if someone showed me cool stuff on their iPhone or Android, if they asked "why not get an iPhone/Android?" I'd still shrug and say I like my BlackBerry too much.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 03:36 AM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    With you on that for sure. But these people were all BlackBerry users before. Not your typical consumers. All admit that BlackBerry offers everything they are looking for now with BlackBerry 10. Their only reason they could give for not trying one was the brand name BlackBerry. That's my only point. These people said they were not getting what they wanted from their devices but wouldn't ever switch to BlackBerry.

Lol like kids afraid of peer pressure or wanting to seem cool with a brand.. even long after its not so cool... anyway glad you "led" and showed you are the "new cool"... let them follow your lead!

From my awesome Blackberry Passport
    For those that value productivity, security and privacy
    Why follow when you can lead.....

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 04:15 AM
    well something like this happened a week ago to me as well...
    since i had lost my BB Z30 almost a year before and very recently started using an old andriod phone, i said hello in my office group in whatsapp.
    then they were responding, "hey".. "have you bought a new phone" "must be BB for sure", well i said no not yet but will be BB for sure.
    then they continued "come on man get an andriod or windows phone this time" ":P"

well certainly there are haters all over even when they liked many features of BB i showed them long back...
    the name BB which was "wow" "awesome" long back to the public has changed to "naah" "seriously" "waste" etc..
    hope it all changes in the near future
    05-18-15 04:56 AM
    Here in the USA I have seen where IOS and Android have embedded themselves into every day culture here.

I see folks in the stores using their Galaxies and iPhones to check prices and their shopping list. Every place I go here I see folks both young and old using these devices everywhere.

Now the questions arises, do I see any Blackberry devices? The sad answer is no!!! Back in 2007-2008 all I seen was Blackberry devices everywhere.

It's amazing how a once Iconic brand has all but disappeared from the landscape here. Failure to deliver what the consumer asked for and complacency are to blame.

How will Blackberry ever be able to repair their tarnished image here? Apple and Google have become household names here and Microsoft is also in the mix.

Unless they can come out with a device that can "fully support" an app ecosystem that consumers have come to expect in today's market, I don't see it happening any time soon!!!
    05-18-15 05:00 AM
    You probably should have told them how QNX runs most of the devices used in your hospital and how BB10 is a derivative of that.
    05-18-15 06:23 AM
    The problem is that you think that other people are as interested in their phones as you are. The bottom line is, most people are going to use what hey are comfortable with and don't care about all the "cool" features you show the, because they like what they are using. For most people their phone is just a device they use for making calls and texting. It's not a way of life like it is for many people in here. And because people don't feel the same way that many do in here about what phone they are using they are seen as followers, when in fact they the phone they are using isn't something they think about or even care about if the one they have is working for them. If they like what they are using, why do people feel like it's their job to change what they use? Its Blackberry's job to get people to use their brand, not anyone else. Failing to "convert" someone to a Blackberry doesn't make them a follower, but it does highlight the fact that many BB users think that anyone who doesn't use one is lost, which is ridiculous.
    KemKev, Bbnivende, ArcPlug and 6 others like this.
    05-18-15 06:42 AM
    ^^^^THIS! People are gonna use what they are comfortable with regardless of the new bells & whistles of another device.
    TGR1 likes this.
    05-18-15 06:55 AM
    The problem is that you think that other people are as interested in their phones as you are. The bottom line is, most people are going to use what hey are comfortable with and don't care about all the "cool" features you show the, because they like what they are using. For most people their phone is just a device they use for making calls and texting. It's not a way of life like it is for many people in here. And because people don't feel the same way that many do in here about what phone they are using they are seen as followers, when in fact they the phone they are using isn't something they think about or even care about if the one they have is working for them. If they like what they are using, why do people feel like it's their job to change what they use? Its Blackberry's job to get people to use their brand, not anyone else. Failing to "convert" someone to a Blackberry doesn't make them a follower, but it does highlight the fact that many BB users think that anyone who doesn't use one is lost, which is ridiculous.
    My post(s) clearly stated BlackBerry marketing and advertising has failed. Also say I wasn't trying to convert anyone. I was asked by a group of people to show them how my phone worked. In turn they were all very excited to see all the differences between BlackBerry 10 and legacy devices. I asked just to pulse them if they'd ever think of switching and they said no. I asked why not. The response was, "it's still a BlackBerry". For the last time, that is my only point. Perhaps I should delete the word "follower" from any prior posts in the thread. They are not followers, they just stick with a phone THEY admit doesn't meet their needs but won't switch to a different because of its NAME. It's just one observation of one group of people I was with, nothing more and nothing less.

05-18-15 06:56 AM
    Exactly. I know people here don't like to think of it this way, but iOS and Android have become tools used by consumers for their everyday lives. They aren't buying them to be cool for the most part, they are buying them to be Music Player at the gym, fitness tracker, GPS, communications device, social media hub. BlackBerry just got the Music app to remember what song it was on last time it was ran in the recent release. And now the competition is offering ways to tie all that together for a seamless experience across tablets, laptops etc. BlackBerry talks a good game for M2M and IOT, but they haven't been delivering in areas that matter to most. They will make way in medical space but you won't see the Brand BlackBerry on the devices. They should be able to work on business and consumers, but can't, and never could. BB10 is great, but until it can do everything up above as good as and maybe better than the competition, then it won't be an option for most. Funny that people talk about leading and following but carry around both BlackBerry and iOS devices. Does that make you a leader following others?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-15 07:18 AM
    Exactly. I know people here don't like to think of it this way, but iOS and Android have become tools used by consumers for their everyday lives. They aren't buying them to be cool for the most part, they are buying them to be Music Player at the gym, fitness tracker, GPS, communications device, social media hub. BlackBerry just got the Music app to remember what song it was on last time it was ran in the recent release. And now the competition is offering ways to tie all that together for a seamless experience across tablets, laptops etc. BlackBerry talks a good game for M2M and IOT, but they haven't been delivering in areas that matter to most. They will make way in medical space but you won't see the Brand BlackBerry on the devices. They should be able to work on business and consumers, but can't, and never could. BB10 is great, but until it can do everything up above as good as and maybe better than the competition, then it won't be an option for most. Funny that people talk about leading and following but carry around both BlackBerry and iOS devices. Does that make you a leader following others?

Posted via CB10
    Okay, seriously. If the group didn't outright say the following things:

1) Wow, that new BlackBerry and it's feature look great.

2) I wish my phone made things that simple

3) No, I wouldn't buy it because it still a BlackBerry.

I never would have posted. I'm not the one comparing devices. I'm not saying any device is better or worse. I'm simply saying the same group who for the part unsolicited said that my Classic was great and would definitely help in various ways already mentioned, they wouldn't use a BlackBerry, but would be really excited for those features on their iPhone or Android.

I'm not sure what's that confusing about what I said. I said it about a sample size of 15-20. Of course you can't generalize that to all users. The intent was not to call all other platform users "followers". The intent was to show how tarnished the BlackBerry name was, that even a group sharing their like for BlackBerry 10 and their issues with iOS and Android wouldn't think of changing.

I can understand this for those who really like their iOS or Android device, but am baffled when someone complains about their platform and BlackBerry could possibly be a solution yet is so easily dismissed.

gebco and stanhanks like this.
    05-18-15 07:54 AM
    Okay, seriously. If the group didn't outright say the following things:

1) Wow, that new BlackBerry and it's feature look great.

2) I wish my phone made things that simple

3) No, I wouldn't buy it because it still a BlackBerry.

I never would have posted. I'm not the one comparing devices. I'm not saying any device is better or worse. I'm simply saying the same group who for the part unsolicited said that my Classic was great and would definitely help in various ways already mentioned, they wouldn't use a BlackBerry, but would be really excited for those features on their iPhone or Android.

I'm not sure what's that confusing about what I said. I said it about a sample size of 15-20. Of course you can't generalize that to all users. The intent was not to call all other platform users "followers". The intent was to show how tarnished the BlackBerry name was, that even a group sharing their like for BlackBerry 10 and their issues with iOS and Android wouldn't think of changing.

I can understand this for those who really like their iOS or Android device, but am baffled when someone complains about their platform and BlackBerry could possibly be a solution yet is so easily dismissed.

Yes but even if BlackBerry did advertise now, they would still be lacking in apps. Amazon is a cluster, I have good experience with SNAP and Cobalt's work, but most people won't go through all that just to use a BlackBerry. Only those of us who stuck with them will do that. Most people don't want to tinker with the phone to have it be able to get close to same experience on another phone with no tinkering. BlackBerry has stated that most of their existing BB10 user base is no longer their target customer. They are focused on selling devices to a CIO, and having him/her shove them down the throat of the people that work for him. They think that this will work just like it did in the early 2000s and BlackBerry will work it's way back to consumers. I agree that BlackBerry doesn't get a fair shake, but when they had their chances they blew them and the clock keeps ticking and the competition continues to entrench users in their ecosystems.

Posted via CB10
    vanrickman and DINGSTER1 like this.
    05-18-15 08:15 AM
152 123 ...