After reading countless threads I thought I was pretty sold. Right now the 9330 is a free upgrade for me. After all the reviews i read, it sounds like this is a horrible phone. However, peeps on the forums seem to love it. I almost clicked to upgrade when I seen the picture again and seen there was NO FLASH?! I open the video camera and use the flash as a flashlight every morning getting ready for work. As small of a detail as this seems, it's a show stopper right now until I'm convince it's not.

Something that might trump the light, is the media buttons on top. Does anyone that has this phone have Pandora loaded on it? Are the media keys or convenience keys able to control pandora? This would be a plus from the 8330 but I'm betting it doesn't.

I'm used to the short battery life, used to slow browsing and used to the occasional battery pull. The Wi-Fi doesn't really do anything for me at home. It would be convenient oversees paired up with Skype, so I'm a little excited about that.

My 8330 doesn't really have anything wrong with it and I have no reason to replace it. I just have the full upgrade from sprint right now and i feel like I'm wasting it if I don't use it.

So should I just shut up and use the upgrade for a free 9330? or should I be looking at other options. Thanks for the help fellas.
    02-11-11 12:11 AM
    Why don't you get the 9780?? Have your Flash, have very fast browsing / 3G speeds, have the highest pixel rate / resolution, have all your convenience keys, have a 5 MP camera, have 512 MB of onboard memory....the list goes on...

IF you wanna upgrade, might as well get a REAL upgrade
    02-11-11 01:50 AM
    Why don't you get the 9780??
    he cant because he stated he has Sprint, which is not a GSM carrier and isnt compatible with the 9780. maybe you should stop pushing people on your phone and instead give them some real options that are within their means.

OP, instead of a 9330, i would reccommend the Bold 9650. same form factor and is now running OS 6 and includes pretty much everything you will need in a device. it will be a night and day upgrade from the lame 8300 series.
    02-11-11 02:04 AM
    I have the 9330,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-11 02:26 AM
    I wouldn't get a 9780 even if I was on T-Mobile. You're 75% likely to get a phone with a defective keyboard. I'd get the 9330. It's a better phone through and through and you won't miss the flash, much.

Also poster above you should try to not overreact... If the OP's contract with Sprint is running out then the 9780 may really be an option.

Life must be hard if you need a phone flashlight to get ready for work in the morning, though...
    02-11-11 02:39 AM
    he cant because he stated he has Sprint, which is not a GSM carrier and isnt compatible with the 9780. maybe you should stop pushing people on your phone and instead give them some real options that are within their means.

OP, instead of a 9330, i would reccommend the Bold 9650. same form factor and is now running OS 6 and includes pretty much everything you will need in a device. it will be a night and day upgrade from the lame 8300 series.

Sorry man, I am not familiar with what phones are available in other parts of the world.

That said, your suggestion to get the 9650 is very good. It has the camera, flash, and sports 512 MB of memory to ensure smooth operation with OS 6 or OS 5
    02-11-11 03:57 AM
    Sorry man, I am not familiar with what phones are available in other parts of the world.

That said, your suggestion to get the 9650 is very good. It has the camera, flash, and sports 512 MB of memory to ensure smooth operation with OS 6 or OS 5
    we know how much you like the 9780 and brag about it in every thread, but the OP said hes on Sprint, which is a US CDMA provider. his phone options are limited. i would suggest either the 9650 or the Style.
    02-11-11 07:45 AM
    LOL @ "75%". 9780's great but if the OP doesn't have the option, and to actually answer his question..."3G". 9330 is a tough little phone and can run 6.0. If you like the 8530, the 9330 will be fine for ya!

I wouldn't get a 9780 even if I was on T-Mobile. You're 75% likely to get a phone with a defective keyboard. I'd get the 9330. It's a better phone through and through and you won't miss the flash, much.

Also poster above you should try to not overreact... If the OP's contract with Sprint is running out then the 9780 may really be an option.

Life must be hard if you need a phone flashlight to get ready for work in the morning, though...
    02-11-11 08:03 AM
    What's the cost of getting a Bold 9650? Better device.
    02-11-11 08:08 AM
    If you can live without the flash, autofocus and a bit better screen resolution, the 9330 is a solid phone with plenty of memory. If you're satisfied with the 8330 you might want to just sit on it for a while and see what comes next after the 9330 in the lineup.
    02-11-11 08:16 AM

The 9330 has 512mb of memory too.

OP if you can get over the need for flash on the camera get the 9330. All the 9650 has over the 9330 is a better screen (which you won't notice coming from a 8330), a 2.0mp vs 3.2mp camera, and the flash that you mentioned.

I have no idea about the media buttons with Pandora. I assume they will work because the buttons on the Bold work with Pandora and Slacker. Someone who uses one will probably come by to confirm though.

02-11-11 08:36 AM
    Don't

You just said it yourself, RIM doesn't truly upgrade their phones much. So you shouldn't either until they give you something worth buying.

You are use to the curve so you probably want to stay with the Curve form factor, I would truly suggest if your phone isn't falling apart or causing you any problems, wait 6-8 more months.

It sounds like forever, but the NEW curve coming out, will make the current curve look even lamer than it already is.

Camera goes to 5 mp
    Keep your flash
    and everything else will improve too
    All the phones BB has released now, in the past year, honestly feel like filler phones. Just taking up time or space.

Kinda like what the 3GS was to the 3G. Not really worth it. Yes technology improves every 6 months so they say, but phones come out in 18 month cycles. And a new one is about to start, so wait for it.
    02-11-11 08:49 AM
    I'd go with the style, personally, but maybe that isn't your cup of tea.
    02-11-11 11:00 AM
    we know how much you like the 9780 and brag about it in every thread, but the OP said hes on Sprint, which is a US CDMA provider. his phone options are limited. i would suggest either the 9650 or the Style.
    Ah yea, huge +1 for you :P

@OP the comments here are ok. Try device instore for best personal feel

02-11-11 01:04 PM
    A couple things here. First, the keyboard on the Tour is way different than what you are used to. I would definitely try it out multiple times in the store before you made the switch. But, it sounds like you can wait.

So, I agree with crackcookie, wait until the new curve is out (see the leaked roadmap for more details). I think you will be glad you waited. Also on the roadmap is the killer Bold Touch, which could also be an option for you. That's the one I'm waiting on.

Good luck.

02-11-11 01:31 PM
    I also have an 8330 that is eligible for upgrade on Sprint.

First, with Sprint, never take their first offer. Wait until the retention guys start calling you and asking whether you don't want to renew your contract.

You should be considering whether you don't want to switch to Verizon and get an iPhone or Droid X or to t-Mobile and get a Samsung Focus with Windows Phone 7 or a Nexus S with the unadulterated Android experience.

Tell the Sprint guys that you are considering switching. My experience is that they are willing to give another $50 or so off of a more expensive phone.

Second, you may want a tablet or a tablet/phone combination. But, most tablets are still just speculation. And, then, there are new phone offerings from Nokia and HP/Palm. I'm waiting 6 months at least to see how things shake out.
    darkangel07760 likes this.
    02-11-11 03:38 PM
    One more thing about Sprint.

I negotiate for all the phones in my extended family as a package. Normally Sprint doesn't negotiate about monthly charges too much, but if you represent over $300 a month, I think they are more willing to waive fees and throw in features.

Also with Sprint, make sure you check to see if you get a discount through your employer. My employer's discount on my monthly plan is substantial.

Good Luck,

Jamie
    02-11-11 03:43 PM
    Hi there! I currently have a Curve 8330 on the Sprint Network, and I am also eligible for an upgrade.
    At first, it was an easy choice: I already have a Curve, so I will just get the Curve 3g (9330)! But, then I took a good look at the details. The only real improvement here is that the phone has wifi and loads up faster, and that you can put the new OS6 on it because it has more memory. That is about it. And as a sidenote, the 8330 feels better made to me. I didn't like how the 3G felt in my hand.
    The Bold9650 is more of an upgrade because it has a better camera, a faster processor, a better resolution screen, and it has the capabilities of world phone status if you ever need to travel out of the country (I am just being brief here, anyone feel free to add to the list!). I am seriously considering this phone. It is currently $180 at Best Buy.
    The Style9670 is another viable option. It comes preloaded with OS6, it has an even better camera than the Bold, and it supposedly has the same processor as the Bold (can anyone confirm that for me? a Sprint sales rep told me that). But, it is far from a traditional Blackberry. It is currently $50 at Best Buy.
    Personally, I am not going to go with the Curve 3G. I thought I had decided on the Bold, but now...the Style is appealing to me more because of its strange design (so NOT Blackberry, haha!) and that it is as powerful as the Bold.
    I can tell you that the best thing to do is to hit up your local Sprint store, and just take your sweet ol' time exploring these phones. As much as we can all tell you, it boils down to the phone in your hand, and how it feels to you. I tell the sales reps really nicely that I just need time to play, and they usually leave me alone heh.
    If your 8330 is fine, the 3G isn't worth even the free price tag, unless your 8330 is showing significant amounts of wear and tear. Then I feel the 3G would make a great replacement. I would say try out the Bold or the Style though, if you are looking for something with more "oomph".
    I hope that helps!
    02-11-11 11:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD