Does anyone know if there is method of controlling access to the mobile and gps network independent of each other? I use my blackberry along with trek buddy as a mapping/navigation tool when I am outside of cel coverage. Unfortuneatley the phone attempting to get connect to the mobile newtork drains the battery really quickly, but if I disable the mobile network through the manage connection options I lose my gos signal as well. Is there an alterantive method of controlling the active connection that will allow me to turn off the mobile network but not the gps?
    07-26-10 06:30 PM
    Hmm. What phone and what carrier. I can turn off connections and it does NOT affect the gps. As you note, go for a hike in remote regions and the battery will die so I turn off connections and the gps functions - what app are you trying to use the gps with?
    07-27-10 08:49 AM
    I am using Trek Buddy. It is a blackberry curve, on the Telus network. I have done a little looking around and they are one of the carriers who handicap your gps to try and sell you a $10/month mapping app of their own. I have gotten around it by forcing the phone to test the gps signal through the diagnostics available by typing "test" in the status screen and then testing the gps. Once locked on in this manner trekbuddy works like a charm in remote hilly areas, but only if I leave my mobile connection on. The second I turn that off, even when i am in remote areas with no coverage, I can no longer get a gps lock, even with the trick of forcing the the gps connection. If i turn the mobile network back on, despite no connection available the gps will once again lock on when i follow the same methodology. I know that the gps will use some battery but the constantly searching for the mobile network really eats it up. I can run the mapping app continuously for a long period if I am in an area with coverage, so I am pretty sure it the constant searching for mobile network in the bush that kills the battery. I know that I can just turn it off to save batteries but it is nice to be able to record overall distances traveled etc... without eating up the battery for when I might really need it for navigation.
    07-27-10 03:16 PM