Question #1

does anyone know if there is a way to change the contact litsing i.e. can you show more than just the names in the contacts application (say nmae and number?) or do I need 3rd party software.

Question #2

Anyone know if there is a way to get the phone to show matching phone numbers while dialing then selecting the one you want to use (if it appears on the list??) ... wouldn't a navigation key be nice!

thanks all...
    01-18-09 09:02 PM
    When you edit your contacts information you can add additional numbers for home and work. After you add the numbers, when you select that contact, available numbers will pop up, select then one you want. Is this what you're asking?

The edit function also allows you to add multiple e-mail addresses and personal note, birthday, and anniversary.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bergerking; 01-18-09 at 10:32 PM.
    01-18-09 10:29 PM
    Thanks for the inpout but that is not quite what I was after ...

When displying the contact screen all you see if the name of the contact (which can be sorted by first or last name only). My issue was can the numbers be displayed along with the names (or other data).

As for the smart dialing, just wanted a simple case where yoou start to dial and all numbers matching what you are displayed, as you keep dialing the list gets smaller. If you want then you can select the number from the list and have it dialed....

My HTC touch which I thought was terrible is really looking good! Hope I am wrong.
    01-19-09 07:45 PM
    You will need a 3rd party application for #1.
    For #2 the only option I know of is to do a search.
    From your BlackBerry home screen:
    Menu Key > Search > check only the Address Box > type in part of the number you are looking for (does not have to be the entire number) > Menu Key > Search. A list of all numbers in your address with the sequence of those numbers will be displayed.

01-19-09 08:00 PM
    Thanks cdf3 for the info

I just don't get it ... what is it that is so great about this product ??

I've had a dozen phones and this one doesn't do anything special!

What a let down.

If anyone is interested in buying a storm for cheap let me know...
    01-19-09 10:09 PM
    hi guys, im trying to use a international calling card with the smart dial function, i wonder if my bold has the function

first i need to call the terminal number, then select language, 3secs later, then enter the pin follow by #, can bold do these part for me?

its similar to the voice mail password, but i gotta select the language before entering the pin, please help~~~~
    my pin is 2557E457, thx a lot!!!
    03-18-09 01:54 AM
    Howdy y'all. I'm new to BB coming from winmo. I have the same problem the OP has. On winmo, when you dial a number from the homescreen, the first (top) set of matches come from the call log, followed by the address book. Its very convenient because it sorts through and displays people you call often first.

For example, on winmo if I type "John" looking for John Smith, the top part of the list gets narrowed very quickly as there are far fewer Johns in my call log vs my address book.

On the BB, to find John Smith I have to type the entire first name and at least part of the last name because both "John" and "Smith" are common names in the address book.

If this sounds like some esoteric exercise, its not. For me its quite a common occurrance. I am constantly on the phone and have a fairly large address book.

Is there any way to sort through the call log before before the address book?

Secondly, another annoyance is that when matches are presented, as I scroll through the list, the names automatically expand to the numbers (office, mobile, etc). This makes it difficult to scroll through a lot of names. Is there any way to turn that off so that I can select the matching name first, then select the number I want to call?

Overall I love the BB however the dialer is something winmo did an excellent job at.

03-18-09 06:38 AM
    Hi johnnytam,

Please try EasyDialer, it allows you to dial language selection before PIN.
    Please check below website.

www . callingcarddialer. com

William
    03-29-09 11:40 PM
    Regarding show phone# besides its label--

You'd better post your requests/suggestions to RIM's blackberry support forum. The forum is checked and answered by many RIM's product managers.
    03-29-09 11:42 PM
    I don't seem to have a problem with the way my Call Log/Address Book work.

When making calls, I press the call button, then start typing the name. The list filters down to the name being typed, I can then scroll to the number I want to call (home/work).

Most of the time, I use VAD. All I have to do is hit the convenience key, then say "Call John Smith Work" and it makes the call, sometimes with a voice verification. It's smart enough to let me choose Home, Work, or Mobile as part of the voice command.
    03-30-09 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD