Hello,

I work at a non-BES University, and a B.B. user has come to me with a bit of a pickle.

T-Mobile had to reset her device to factory defaults - erasing all of her contacts. Which she figured was fine since she had them all backed up on her computer (in Outlook).

However upon the 1st sync - her (blank) BB overwrote her outlook contacts.
    - Deleting them all =/ She also broke her Ctrl+Z button.

She does not have a (current) backup of her .PST file, nor does she have the information sync'd to another computer.

I was curious if, by some stroke of luck, the Desktop Manager application kept some sort of a backup of contacts. That we could restore from. I highly doubt she turned on automatic backups on -- are they on by default?

Failing that does anyone have any nifty ideas? I thought she could bring her monthly statements into excel and at least build a list of phone numbers.

I haven't been able to google it out of the internet(s) so I figured I would check the brain trust that is crackberry!

Thanks in advance,
    -kirby

This message brought to you from the ALWAYS make a backup dept!
    03-04-10 03:30 PM
    Backup files have the type extension .ipd. She can easily search her PC to see if she has any. Desktop Manager can be set to automatically make a backup, but I don't recall if that is the default setting.
    03-04-10 04:57 PM
    i would look into way to restore them from the .pst file. i know you can do it with emails with some software and sometimes by corrupting the .pst file and restoring it. i have never tried to restore contacts that way but have restored emails so i would think that it would work with contacts as well.
    03-04-10 07:42 PM
    Backup files have the type extension .ipd. She can easily search her PC to see if she has any. Desktop Manager can be set to automatically make a backup, but I don't recall if that is the default setting.
    I think the BB backup and restore feature part of Desktop Manager is a manually accessed feature. There is a synchronization setting where you can choose which device "rules", the computer or the phone.

Hope that helps.

Charles
    03-04-10 07:51 PM
    Heh. I just sync'd my contacts to Gmail.
    03-04-10 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD