10-05-11 03:45 PM
26 12
tools
    i've gotten my blackberry 9780 for 4 days now and i'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how contacts sync actually work. I've searched in these forums as well but they don't seem to have a direct answer or it's probably older OS.

I come from android background, and syncing contacts was a breeze. However, in blackberry, what im trying to achieve at the moment is to have a single contact list syncing from google account only!

i've tried with and without google sync app. I understand my BIS plan also has the sync option with google account.

Let's make it simple....for ppl who uses google account, do you use google sync app to sync your contacts or do you stick with BIS's gmail contact sync?

The problem im facing is that I'm getting duplicated contacts all the time. And it doesn't happen right away, maybe few hours or few days.

When i first started, i have xxxxx@gmail.com as my contact, once the duplicate happens, i suddenly have a 'Default' contact list..i don't even know where it comes from and i can't even delete it.

How do i totally stop contact duplicates from happening forever??
    01-04-11 08:05 AM
    I use the Gmail Sync app without any problem. It does sound like you are syncing both Google and BIS, which would cause double contacts.
    01-04-11 08:16 AM
    actually yeah i did before, but in the end i stopped using google sync app but instead use BIS' google contacts sync. But still after certain hours the duplicates would start to appear..the 'default' list comes up.

If you're using google sync app, do you still get a 'default' contact under your contact list options?
    01-04-11 08:32 AM
    I've used Google Sync now for many months, and also have it on dozens of other BB's around here. The duplicates do happen and I've yet to figure out just what exactly causes them. I do know that it's best to try and do your editing, merging and deleting all from the Gmail side until things settle in. Make the Gmail contacts your "Master" contact list and do your work there. It will sync those changes out to your bb and life will be good once you get past the bumps.
    01-04-11 08:51 AM
    I've used Google Sync now for many months, and also have it on dozens of other BB's around here. The duplicates do happen and I've yet to figure out just what exactly causes them. I do know that it's best to try and do your editing, merging and deleting all from the Gmail side until things settle in. Make the Gmail contacts your "Master" contact list and do your work there. It will sync those changes out to your bb and life will be good once you get past the bumps.
    could it be a bug from OS6 or what? do you get a 'default' and another 'xxxx@gmail.com' under your contact list instead of just gmail?
    01-04-11 09:07 AM
    I've found that Google Sync actually works better on 6 than it ever did on 5. It's been flawless so far.
    01-04-11 09:20 AM
    Log into your providers BIS site, and turn off the syncing if you want to use Google Sync. Don't use both, that is where the duplicates are coming from.

Is your Google Sync set to manual or do you have it set at an interval?
    01-04-11 09:45 AM
    The BIS sync is only an option for OS V5 and above. I've had several users on as low as 4.3 get duplicates using only Google Sync.
    01-04-11 09:56 AM
    hey guys, the problem is that i dont use Google Sync app at all and yet i get duplicates. I'm not sure why this is the case, the initial BIS contact sync with google works, but after i left my phone overnight, or maybe few hours later, the duplicates starts happening.

I assume theres something wrong with BIS since it seems confused by itself
    01-05-11 06:03 AM
    What happens if you clean up your duplicates from the Gmail side and then let the BIS sync work through the changes?
    01-05-11 07:05 AM
    What happens if you clean up your duplicates from the Gmail side and then let the BIS sync work through the changes?
    the funny thing is...my gmail side has no duplicates.

so im really confused as to why my contacts are duplicated. Is BIS sync trying to link all other email accounts into its self created 'default' contact list and accidentally duplicates it?

I can't even remove this 'default' list since it'll always be 0 and when i uncheck wireless sync for it and save, it will not return to the previous page and gets stuck tehre until i check wireless sync. it's a crazy bug.

man..this is insane. I should just use google sync app unless someone here can tell me how to use BIS's contact sync properly
    Last edited by adrivetest; 01-05-11 at 07:21 AM.
    01-05-11 07:12 AM
    Interesting. If it were me I think I'd try something like this:

Turn off your BIS sync.
    Backup your Gmail Contacts
    Delete your BB Contacts (go to Options, type rset)
    Enable BIS sync
    Go get coffee
    01-05-11 07:26 AM
    I had duplicate issues when I let BIS do the syncing. Had to do a cleanup, turned BIS sync off, and Google Sync on, and haven't had a single duplicate. If there are no duplicates on the Gmail side of it, leads me to believe that the issue lies within the BIS sync.
    01-05-11 09:12 AM
    Delete all contacts from your blackberry using DM(you'll have to disable bis sync first) and start fresh. Also before you re-enable bis sync there's an setting in contacts options that doesn't allow duplicate names, you need to set it to "no"
    Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 09:27 AM
    Hey guys, I have a quick question on the built in gmail app(not google sync). After the initial sync, lets say a week later i'm on my home computer and I add a new contact in gmail, will it automatically add this contact to my BB? Or will I have to add this contact manually?

And on the Google Sync.....with it syncing all the time does this count against your data plan, I'm asking in case one doesn't have the unlimited data plan.

thanks
    02-11-11 08:30 AM
    Hey guys, I have a quick question on the built in gmail app(not google sync). After the initial sync, lets say a week later i'm on my home computer and I add a new contact in gmail, will it automatically add this contact to my BB? Or will I have to add this contact manually?

And on the Google Sync.....with it syncing all the time does this count against your data plan, I'm asking in case one doesn't have the unlimited data plan.

thanks
    If you're talking about a Blackberry, there is no built in Gmail app, but you can download it for free.

And the Google Sync app really doesn't use much data at all. I use about 500k in a months time syncing a pretty heavy calendar and lots of contacts changes.
    02-11-11 09:20 AM
    I've had a different, but equally frustrating, experience with BIS sync and Gmail contacts, particularly street addresses.

They get corrupted, over time.

The BB Contact app has fields for street, city, state/province, postal code. Gmail Contacts doesn't. In Gmail there's just one box, and the whole address goes in it. So when you put an address into the BB, the separation of address elements goes away when it's synced to Gmail. And of course, if you enter an address in Gmail, the whole thing will appear in the first "street" field on the BB. Not only that, but an address that starts out as separate fields on the BB will eventually get synced back to the BB as one chunk of text, in the first street address field.

I can live with all that. As long as I have the address, I don't need it separated out into fields the way BB likes to do it.

For some reason, however, over time certain address get chewed up. In particular, the number and street go away, and sometimes the state too. So if I start out with

123 Park Ave
    Cranston
    RI

...a day or a week later, I may only have

Cranston
    RI

or

Cranston

...on both the BB and in Gmail on the web. I can't reproduce this behavior at will, but it keeps happening, and tends to happen with certain contacts and not others.

I do not have the Google sync app on my BB. I do not have T-Mobile backup running. I do not have any other sync app/service running. I had this problem in OS 5 on my 8900 as well, and now on all versions of OS 6 that I've tried on my 9780 (currently .448).

Any ideas what might be going on?
    02-11-11 01:16 PM
    i am having the same problem as the OP has anyone figured this out yet i dont know what to do. i wipe contacts database and start over and a few hours later a default address come back and duplicates all my contacts
    10-05-11 02:08 PM
    I haven't had issues with syncing Gmail contacts with the native address book. Hmmmm. Sorry to hear this.
    10-05-11 02:22 PM
    i am having the same problem as the OP has anyone figured this out yet i dont know what to do. i wipe contacts database and start over and a few hours later a default address come back and duplicates all my contacts
    Which sync process are you using, BIS or Google?
    10-05-11 02:22 PM
    Some may not realize that BIS sync is On by default, at least for me it's been that way. If you then install and run Google sync you will have two sync processes both fighting for control. Ya gotta choose one or the other. Also, the "Merge duplicates" in Google Contacts is your friend.
    10-05-11 02:25 PM
    I always preferred Google Sync on my Blackberry because then I could edit my contact list on a computer, plus I liked having a backup of my contacts in my gmail in case my phone was wiped. Google Sync was great because it syncs automatically.

But I had the duplicate issue as well because at one point I had both Google Sync and BIS on. I had to do a complete wipe to fix it.
    10-05-11 02:31 PM
    I always preferred Google Sync on my Blackberry because then I could edit my contact list on a computer, plus I liked having a backup of my contacts in my gmail in case my phone was wiped. Google Sync was great because it syncs automatically.

But I had the duplicate issue as well because at one point I had both Google Sync and BIS on. I had to do a complete wipe to fix it.
    I've done the complete wipe before as I worked through the issue on multiple devices. Then I learned how to wipe the Contacts using the rset command with the Options menu. And it hasn't been all that long that the Merge Duplicates has been available and actually working well on Google. Hopefully this might help someone else to find the shortcuts before a wipe and reload.
    10-05-11 02:35 PM
    i am actually using the BIS method but if it keeps happening i am moving to google sync, the problem is i set up the email and let sync through bis and everything goes fine a few hours later i get a second contact list named default with the same numbers as the gmail contact list
    10-05-11 02:54 PM
    I had this problem. Most people complain about getting one or more individual contacts duplicated. What I had were two COMPLETE and identical address books from gmail.

If this is your problem as well, this is how I solved it.

First remove the google sync app if you have it installed. BIS is doing the work in my solution.

Next use the setup app and delete your email account from the BB.

Delete all address book(s) from the BB. Your contact list needs to be completly empty.

On your computer, clean up any duplicates.

Go back to the setup app on the BB and re-add your email account. Be sure the box is checked next to the contacts under the sync section.

That's what worked for me. Did this all several months ago and haven't had any problems since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-11 02:56 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD