If so what is the file name? If not how is it stored?
    09-22-10 08:33 PM
    It is part of the device Database. When you do a backup, your contact list is one part of the database file.

There are third party applications that will allow you to view and edit the contents of the Backup Database on your computer, then you can use Advance Restore to write the updated Contacts to your device.

Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files
    09-22-10 08:42 PM
    The file it is stored in is a database and it is not accessible except through desktop manager. The way you would use it is as the previous poster suggested, use a third party piece of software in order to read your backup file.
    09-22-10 11:51 PM
    With gmail sync all my contacts are automatically sync'd with my gmail account, which is great cause at least that way I know it's always backed up & easily available when a new Blackberry comes on board
    09-23-10 03:10 AM
    Sound good, but is the ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor safe? I mean, is it spyware free and/or approved by RIM? Does it work for reading the calendar also? Thanks.
    09-23-10 05:44 AM
    Mine is in sync with my Outlook contacts
    09-23-10 06:57 AM
    Sound good, but is the ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor safe? I mean, is it spyware free and/or approved by RIM? Does it work for reading the calendar also? Thanks.
    ABC Amber is safe. It opens the backup .ipd file. Another way is to use Desktop Manager, Sync and use ASCII Export. This creates a .csv file on your desktop that can be opened and edited with Excel.
    09-23-10 07:48 AM
    Excellent suggetion trucky. That will work without the need for third party software and it will work with Calender data too.
    09-23-10 09:09 AM
    Cool...thanks guys. Was wondering if I could just grab the file on my device and send it to my PC using bluetooth.
    09-23-10 07:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD