Hi all, first of all sorry if this isn't in the best spot (a bit new and I'm fine with having this moved to a relevant area). I've also searched around on the forums and couldn't find a relevant post.

Anyway I've been considering to get a used BB recently and was wondering if there are any tips to consider in my search. I'm aware of basic questions, but I'm not sure if there's things to look for like software issues and potential hardware concerns.

More specifically is there anything I should be careful of with regard to those factors? I'm uncertain if any lingering software components can still persist (i.e. PIN number change? Preferences that aren't wiped from BBSAK wipes? [device passwords]). What about any malicious/problematic things that can arise on this level and the hardware one? (tampering with security aspects of BB?)

I guess I'd just like to be careful and I don't really know every facet to BB's just yet. If anything comes to mind I'd be grateful!
    12-04-11 07:57 AM
    Make sure a complete security wipe is done this will reatore to factory settings.
    Make sure if used get esn or imei and check with carrier to ensure not a stolen/blocked device.

As far as malware if you have done security wipe shouldn't be an issue as BB OS has yet to have been hacked any malware has to be installed by the user and given permission.
    12-04-11 08:38 AM
    Make sure a complete security wipe is done this will reatore to factory settings.
    Make sure if used get esn or imei and check with carrier to ensure not a stolen/blocked device.

As far as malware if you have done security wipe shouldn't be an issue as BB OS has yet to have been hacked any malware has to be installed by the user and given permission.
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

As mentioned I'm still a little new to these aspects of a BB (and I guess to an extent phones), so I have a few more questions:

Is there a specific spot the IMEI/ESN is usually located on BB's? Any tips on checking these if it's cross country? (say if I got a US phone but live in Canada)

Also for security wipes, is this a feature built in on the phone or is it something handled on Desktop Manager or other similar programs? (only familiar with regular wipes)
    12-04-11 08:51 AM
    The biggest thing is to make sure that the phone hasn't been blacklisted because it was reported stolen and to make sure the previous owner has released the phone. I would also consider getting it somewhere that you would be able to return it if it is faulty.

If going on craigslist or a site like that I would meet the person at the store so they can see if it's good to go or not.
    12-04-11 08:52 AM
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

As mentioned I'm still a little new to these aspects of a BB (and I guess to an extent phones), so I have a few more questions:

Is there a specific spot the IMEI/ESN is usually located on BB's? Any tips on checking these if it's cross country? (say if I got a US phone but live in Canada)

Also for security wipes, is this a feature built in on the phone or is it something handled on Desktop Manager or other similar programs? (only familiar with regular wipes)
    You can get the IMEI/ESN from under the battery or in the options and about.

A security wipe is also done from options, security, wipe device. It will prompt you to type blackberrry and hit enter.

For cross country/carrier just make sure the phone will work properly with your carrier and that it is unlocked.
    12-04-11 08:55 AM
    You had also mentioned hardware defects. I guess for that sort of info you'll have to dig into each device-specific forum and do a quick browse through for trouble spots. Every device has its "issues" to some degree. Some of it affects day to day use, some of it might be purely cosmetic. Although if you're going to get a device running anything older then OS5 you're probably almost better off getting a regular feature/dumb phone. Trust me I have an old OS 4.5 device. My wife's dumbphone runs circles around it in most aspects.
    12-04-11 09:28 AM
    Also people do try to sell defective phones.
    12-04-11 09:42 AM
    Buy it from a local trusted source. Visit a carrier and see if their employees have either one themselves for sale or a lead on one.

edit: Bold 9780's had a stuttering keyboard issue but that was cleared up in the last os upgrade.
    12-04-11 09:47 AM
    I've bought 5 BB's off of Craigslist and never been burned. I've also walked away from many other craigslist sales.

My tips.

1. Profile the person. Be Judgemental as ****, it's your hard earned cash. The clean cut male driving an audi wearing nice clothes or the women that is dressed in business attire driving a nice crossover is much less likely be pawning a stolen device. If they look like trash, they are trash.

2. We want the Original box. If the device is over 1.5 years old, i become more flexible on this rule if they meet all of my other criteria

3. Meet at the store the device has the branding of. Especially with Verizon/Sprint Devices. Make sure its clean.

4. Simple questions of why they are selling, when they got it, how they liked it, what didn't they like about it. What they say isnt so important as how they say it. Honest sellers can give good, natural looking responses.

5. Test the device. I'd advise bringing a media card from your BB with some music on it and some headphones. Check functionality of every key on the keyboard, trackpad/ball, camera, convenience keys. Put your media card in, play a song through the speaker and through the headphones. Finally, check the battery and phones water damage indicators. Also examine the screws used to put the device together. If they've been tampered with, no go.

Be Anal. The only device problem i had was with my current 9700 i bought on CL in which the device sometimes thought headphones were plugged in when they were not. It began happening 2 weeks after i bought the device and used headphones a few times. I was lucky that the headphone jack is a drop in unit on the 9700, i bought a replacement for about 5 bucks and it fixed the problem. I doubt the seller even knew of this issue as he said he never played music on it and it worked fine for 2 or 3 weeks before happening.

Good luck.
    chronomatic likes this.
    12-04-11 10:52 AM
    I appreciate all the feedback, it's been real useful!

I guess the last thing I'm a smidge concerned about is changing the PIN. I hear it's possible to have your carrier "release" a pin if you explain the details. Is this true? If so, are there any complications if it's a cross-country carrier switch (or are these universally controllable)?
    12-04-11 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD