Hi All,

I am using a Motorola q9m with Verizon. Overall I am very pleased however the Blackberry Curve seems very appealing to me. I am especially impressed with the speed of the Blackberry OS. Has anyone out there used both the Motorola Q9M and the Curve and can tell me the pros and cons of one vs. the other?

Also, I have a hotmail account. Would I be able to use that on the BB Curve or would I need to set up Windows Live and go though that? Thank you.
    09-06-08 11:01 AM
    I haven't used a Q9m, but yes, you can use Hotmail on your Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-08 11:18 AM
    Hi All,

I am using a Motorola q9m with Verizon. Overall I am very pleased however the Blackberry Curve seems very appealing to me. I am especially impressed with the speed of the Blackberry OS. Has anyone out there used both the Motorola Q9M and the Curve and can tell me the pros and cons of one vs. the other?

Also, I have a hotmail account. Would I be able to use that on the BB Curve or would I need to set up Windows Live and go though that? Thank you.
    I haven't used a Q9, but I work with the Blackberry Platform and have used other WinMo devices. I must say with no bias, the Blackberry OS is by far the most stable out there. It might not be the flashiest, but stable and straight forward it is. The push mail is like no other. The back-up/restore process is also the simplest.
    Yes you can use Hotmail on the Blackberry. I also saw you are considering the Curve, which is a great device. You might also want to do some research on the Blackberry Thunder/Storm, device model 9500/9530. It's going to be RIM's first touchscreen device, and it's going to be awesome.
    There aren't as many 3rd party applications for Blackberry as WinMo, but the ones we have( a lot) are very good. As I said, the OS is very stable, UI is nice and straight forward, and there is a lot of things that can be accomplished with Blackberry devices. Take your time and do some research, and post back if you have any other questions or concerns.
    09-06-08 12:00 PM
    Get the Curve. Its just great !

09-06-08 12:24 PM
    I've used quite a few WM devices as well as the Palm OS and now the BB and I can say that BB is the most stable and the email is second to none. WM has much more free software available but its too buggy of an OS IMHO
    09-06-08 12:32 PM
    I have been experiencing a lot of issues with my pearl. Call logs, emails, and text messages are being erased and the phone will freeze up. The only way for me to fix this is pull the battery which is becoming annoying. Emails are not being pushed for whatever reason either. I have called Verizon, stopped at the store and I get the same thing, "your phone is fine".

I was considering swithching to the motoQ but haven't had any real hands on with windows mobile so I'm a bit hesitant on the purchase. I use my phone all day for work so reliability is important and this thing has let me down. I have heard though that windows is a little buggy but so is blackberry OS. And not to mention keeping an eye on the file free space is a bit of a pain. Its almost like you can't have anything on the phone or you are gonna have problems.

I don't want to make it sound like I am bashing the blackberry because all in all its a good phone, but there are problems you only find out about after you have bought the device.

How is the motoQ anyways?

09-06-08 02:49 PM
    Well I had the Treo 650 Palm for a couple of years, it worked OK, but I experienced random lockups and reboots.

I decided to either switch to the Samsung I760 windows mobile or a Blackberry device.

It was a struggle, however I went ahead and switched over to the Samsung I760 about a year ago and was very pleased with the unit as well as windows mobile.

Then my Son, who inherited my Treo, cracked the screen.

As I was researching a new phone for him, the Blackberry Curve kept popping up.

I decided that I would get the Curve, then try it for a while and then give either the Curve or the I760 to my Son.

Well after only a week, I gave my Son the I760 because I love the Curve.

For me, the internet is easier and e-mail rocks. It reacts faster than windows mobile and the internet and e-mail is less sluggish.

For what I use the smartphone for, e-mail, text messaging, minor internet and the calendar, the Curve does everything and more. The I760 did take care of my needs, but windows mobile just seems to be more labor intensive in order to get things done than the Curve is.

Blueraven
    09-06-08 04:16 PM
    I came from the original Q and much prefer my BlackBerry, its far more stable. It seemed like there were more apps for the Q but I'd take a phone that works over apps any day. But its all about what YOU want.

To the poster above who is having issues with his Pearl, your call logs and texts are quite likely being deleted due to low memory. If you search for a memory optimization thread that all can be easily solved.
    09-06-08 06:32 PM
    I have not used the Q9M, but I did have a Samsung Blackjack. The Blackberry is a BIG step up from any WM device. I found windows mobile to be very laggy, and as I was typing it would be a few words before a word would process, and it was just really annoying. I could not be happier with my BB, and it was definitely the best decision I have ever made regarding a phone. I hope you choose to come over to a BB, you will not regret it !
    09-06-08 06:41 PM
    That's the thing that's annoying, the whole memory issue. Like I said, I do a lot of work on my pearl and rely on it to on a constant basis. It seems as I do one thing I have to go back and check memory to make sure nothing will be deleted. I know its a small price to pay for the device but you have to admit its a bit of a pain.

09-06-08 10:38 PM
    I am very happy with the q9m. To Dcapazzi if you are going to go that route I would recommend the q9c which has GPS.

The only minor problem is that it is a little sluggish. I know that the BB OS is faster which is why I am contemplating a switch. Also the curve is smaller and lighter.

I get real time push email with the q9m through windows live hotmail.
    Last edited by jskinvest; 09-07-08 at 07:26 AM.
    09-07-08 06:11 AM
    Will your carrier let your switch to a Berry and then return in within a certain time frame if you're not happy? A test drive would be a good way to help you make up your mind.

To Dcapazzi, I totally agree that the internal memory on the Pearl is too low. I loved the size of my Pearl but one of the things I love about my Curve is that I don't have to worry about memory issues.
    09-07-08 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD