I have verizon and I know they charge txt rates when using the default I'm program but if I download another messaging program like I'm all in one. Do the messages count against txt too? Also does google talk use txt or data? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 12:42 PM
    Anything besides texing will use data. Google take will use data.
    05-17-09 12:44 PM
    Texting is for phone. an IM program is not, but it is considered data usage because you are getting connected to the network to use your IM app.
    05-17-09 12:45 PM
    I have question about changing text ring tones from different contacts. I have a Pearl 8130
    05-17-09 12:48 PM
    Any one out there that can answere my question
    05-17-09 12:51 PM
    Well the thing is I had 250 msg bundle n unlimited data and used the I'm program blackberry comes with and I got huge bill with load of txt usage and I hardly actually txt just I'm mostly and when I call verizon they all stupid. Lol

05-17-09 12:51 PM
    And please don't hijack my thread lol...btw I meant IM not I'm. Thanks fellas

05-17-09 12:54 PM
    I have question about changing text ring tones from different contacts. I have a Pearl 8130

Your question is off topic in this thread. You should start a new topic for your question.

Quick answer, edit Contacts / Add Custom Rightone.
    05-17-09 12:54 PM
    Well the thing is I had 250 msg bundle n unlimited data and used the I'm program blackberry comes with and I got huge bill with load of txt usage and I hardly actually txt just I'm mostly and when I call verizon they all stupid. Lol

I see that you are using the storm from your profile. I also own the storm and use the IM programs that come with it. The IM programs all use data and not texts. I have also been using the beejive beta for the storm and haven't been charged any texts either. I would call up verizon and get it straightened out.

Last edited by ArmaK; 05-17-09 at 01:46 PM.
    05-17-09 01:31 PM
    Alright...I will do that thanks buddy

05-17-09 01:56 PM
    Okay, here is the deal with Verizon and IMing, it is considered txt messaging. The only thing that would be included in your internet (data) package would be for blackberry messenger, and possibly PIN lvl messages. Hope this helps
    05-17-09 02:47 PM
    Ahhh ok so aol im is txt then? I'm getting conflicting answers I know aim on basic phones use txt package but what about like on the storm or maybe even beejive? Data or txt use? Very important for me so I can avoid another massive bill plz...thanks again fellas for ur help.

05-17-09 02:58 PM
    All of those are considered txt messages. So I would either switch to mostly email, which may not be as easy due to not everyone having blackberry's, or up your txt package. You can go with Unlimited txt for $20 on a single line plan, of get unlimited for all phones on a family shared plan for only $30.

If you have had a big bill recently then this minor increase per month may be worth it.
    05-17-09 03:08 PM
    I have verizon and I know they charge txt rates when using the default I'm program but if I download another messaging program like I'm all in one. Do the messages count against txt too? Also does google talk use txt or data? Thanks.

The default IM applications do NOT use SMS messaging. They use data. The Verizon thing about IM apps using SMS applies to NON-smartphones.

Google Talk uses Data.

I have never had a text message charged for using ANY of the apps on my phone.

That being said, I do have my AOL (through their website) setup to send messages via SMS to my phone when I am not logged into their service (either from my PC or my BB).
    Last edited by dtubbs06; 05-17-09 at 03:18 PM.
    05-17-09 03:14 PM
    Just like dtubbs, I've never been charged for texts for using the IM clients. I only get charged for the data. If I were charged for texts I would notice since I very rarely use them.

Last edited by ArmaK; 05-17-09 at 04:10 PM.
    05-17-09 04:07 PM
    All of those are considered txt messages. So I would either switch to mostly email, which may not be as easy due to not everyone having blackberry's, or up your txt package. You can go with Unlimited txt for $20 on a single line plan, of get unlimited for all phones on a family shared plan for only $30.

If you have had a big bill recently then this minor increase per month may be worth it.
    the reps at Tmo said the same but think of it... AOl msn etc are not using your text message feature they are infact connected to the net thru your data plan like they do on the pc... now if you had your account on msn for example set to text you when you got messages that would indeed count as text but going about thru the program itself chatting doesnt count as there is not way they can track thru sms what you type or download thru the net ..if that were the case then any form of data transfer would count also as texting and thats not the thruth. they tend to misinform a lot about this on the CS services but if you have a text balance number you can dial ( t mo does) then chat a bit and check balance like i did and you will then know if in fact they are counting towards text or not.
    05-17-09 05:07 PM
    the reps at Tmo said the same but think of it... AOl msn etc are not using your text message feature they are infact connected to the net thru your data plan like they do on the pc... now if you had your account on msn for example set to text you when you got messages that would indeed count as text but going about thru the program itself chatting doesnt count as there is not way they can track thru sms what you type or download thru the net ..if that were the case then any form of data transfer would count also as texting and thats not the thruth. they tend to misinform a lot about this on the CS services but if you have a text balance number you can dial ( t mo does) then chat a bit and check balance like i did and you will then know if in fact they are counting towards text or not.
    Oh I agree with you on the logic, I honestly work for a wireless company and have for the past 4 years (same company, 7 years wireless total) and I still don't totally understand why it is coded as txt messages.
    05-17-09 05:14 PM
    OP, if you go into the applications folder on the storm, those AOL/YIM/MSN etc are DATA. The Verizon "Mobile IM" that has AOL/MSN/YIM as ONE program are texts.
    05-17-09 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD