I found there are 2 options (Mobile network preferred, Wi-Fi preferred) in "Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference". Default value is Wi-Fi preferred, when I stay in a strong Wi-Fi signal place (like at home), the signal source icon turns from EDGE to UMA. In this case, I can't dial out or receive any call. I have to change the setting to 'Mobile network preferred', see the icon turns back to EDGE and be able to use phone call.

I got a couple questions.
    1, does the connection preference related to phone call? or only to data transfer? (in my case seems related to phone call, but I doubt it)
    2, My data usage plan is unlimited. Should I choose mobile network preferred or Wi-Fi preferred? If my concern is connection speed?
    03-22-10 03:46 PM
    well for what i understand the connection preference of WIFI, is pretty much using your wireless router as a cell phone tower, great for those who live out in the country or something where there is no cell phone signal. the data is alot faster. speeds can get up to like 100 kbs to 200 kbs depending on the type of blackberry. but WIFI is both phone call related and data related.

the data usage might be unlimited, but which do you think is closer, the router or cell signal. i usually choose to have it on WIFI prefered because the internet is ALOT faster. (tmo gives me 20 kbs if lucky, wifi gives me 200 kbs average).

call quality should be the same, but you would most likely get a better "signal" for calls since the router is closer to you than the tower. also depends on the internet providor, which cann also mess with things, but most likely, WIFI preffered is better.
    03-22-10 03:55 PM
    Thank you heyitsbailey! That being said, WiFi is much better both on making phone call and data transfer. I'd like to set my phone WiFi preferred. However, the problem is when switch to UMA mode, I can't receive or make phone call which is annoying. So I must choose mobile network preferred. Has anyone got same problem?
    03-23-10 01:57 AM
    i had that problem a couple times. it seems to be random times it does it to me.

simple fix though, whenever this does do it to me all i do is turn off the wifi, make the call. when the calls done i turn wifi back on. i have this problem maybe 30% of the time.
    03-23-10 12:20 PM
    The Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference is for your mobile network related stuff like phone calls and sms messages. These are things that are transferred via the mobile network and not via RIMs servers.

If you set this to mobile network preferred this means that your phone calls and sms will take the usual route and reach your phone via T-Mobile's mobile infrastrucutre. If you set this to Wi-Fi preferred this means that your phone calls and sms will reach your phone via UMA using your Wi-Fi router.

If you are having problems using UMA for your calls and then set the value back to Mobile Network preferred and you will continue to see the GPRS / EDGE in the signal indicator. This will not affect your data such as emails, bbm, internet as if you're connected to Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi light is bright white this means your data connection to the RIM infrastructure is via Wi-Fi and not the mobile network.

Data and non data are treated differently by the phone and the option you refer to controls non data.

Are you in the USA? T-Mobile USA, as far as I know, supports UMA however I believe in the UK Orange are the only provider to support UMA so that might be your UMA issue.
    03-23-10 06:55 PM
    You have tmo and they can actually use the wifi connection to create a VOIP. The one you should select is the one that is best for you.

Do you spend time in a lot of fast wifi areas? Or a lot of slow wifi areas? If your tmo is edge, I personally would set it to wifi preffered just because tmo edge is slow.
    03-23-10 07:33 PM
    Yes tmo edge is roughly 20 kbs while wifi is 200 kbs. I personally prefer wifi over tmo.

But I guess its just an opinion question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-10 07:42 PM
    Thanks to all. I have tmo and time warner cable or Wi-Fi. I've tried several times, as long as set Wi-Fi preferred, the phone call just doesn't work at all. I am not sure if the UMA goes through my router to time warner cable or through tmo's UMA. Is there any way to figure this out? Thanks.
    03-23-10 10:56 PM
    i got no idea. i did a quick google search and saw this:

resource: here

quote: "Becasue I do not have a BB data plan and the BB feature enabler is unavailable to TMobileWeb subscribers, my Curve is always lowercase either lowercase edge or uma (when connected to WiFi). UMA phone calls work perfectly all the time and are generally very clear. "

so UMA seems to be able to make calls. not sure how much more i can help.
    03-23-10 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD