All, I need assistance on my BB8900 on an upcoming trip to Turkey, Greece, etc. My BB will only be source of internet connection outside of cafes.

I spoke with TMO today and they informed me that I will incur a $15 per megabyte charge for data sent/received. My phone is already in 'world' mode according to their customer service. I've been told that I can turn off my TMO data connection and just manually connect to whatever local network/internet and not incur any of the TMO charges ($15 per meg).

All the hostels/places I'm staying at advertise free internet so I'd like to just connect to them. Is this true? If so, will anyone help me? TMO tells me this is not possible.

Thanks, Jen
    08-24-10 09:58 PM
    All, I need assistance on my BB8900 on an upcoming trip to Turkey, Greece, etc. My BB will only be source of internet connection outside of cafes.

I've been told that I can turn off my TMO data connection and just manually connect to whatever local network/internet and not incur any of the TMO charges ($15 per meg).

All the hostels/places I'm staying at advertise free internet so I'd like to just connect to them. Is this true? If so, will anyone help me? TMO tells me this is not possible.
    Enable WiFi mode when you want to connect to an Internet Access Point such as those often found at cafes, hostels, and hotels. Before leaving for Europe you should try this to make sure you understand the difference between WiFi mode and mobile network mode.
    08-24-10 10:07 PM
    Enable WiFi mode when you want to connect to an Internet Access Point such as those often found at cafes, hostels, and hotels. Before leaving for Europe you should try this to make sure you understand the difference between WiFi mode and mobile network mode.
    I just turned my Mobile Network off and tried to manually connect to my home network via WiFi. It picks up my home network and displays lowercase 'uma' and grey wifi logo. It gives me an error message when trying to access the internet.
    08-24-10 10:24 PM
    I don't know anything about "uma" but the GRAY wifi logo means you do not have a wifi connection with your home network.

Have you entered the proper wep/wpa stuff? Is your router at home protected by mac addressing besides the password stuff?
    08-25-10 12:17 AM
    i have the problem with my black barry i cant find network vith wifi always i scen netwoerk i cant find nothin do i have to configurati it or my wifi phone is dead? help
    09-05-10 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD