I was always under the impression that using wifi drains battery faster in the same way that enabling blutooth does. However a coworker argued that it actually conserves battery life compared to using your wireless network.

My question is if both wireless network and wifi are active, does battery drain or conserve? I use a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 12:40 PM
    Your phone will connect (data wise) to the stronger network, be it the cell or the wifi. If you have wifi, and it's strong enough signal to keep a decent connection to your phone, the Z10 will only use that to save on cell carrier costs. Also this comes from the days when usually wifi was faster DL/UL speeds than cellular networks (pre LTE etc...)
    04-03-13 12:43 PM
    I was always under the impression that using wifi drains battery faster in the same way that enabling blutooth does. However a coworker argued that it actually conserves battery life compared to using your wireless network.

My question is if both wireless network and wifi are active, does battery drain or conserve? I use a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Well having a strong steady signal (lets say over wifi) is better than having spotty signal via the network, it's the constant searching on the network that would drain the battery (this is why many suggest turning LTE off if you are not in strong coverage area)... Plus switching to wifi does help conserve your data on the network and it's normally alot faster!

win - win scenario to me! Cheers
    BlackberryPig likes this.
    04-03-13 12:47 PM
    a good wifi signal will conserve battery.
    04-03-13 12:50 PM
    Wifi while out and bout drains life
    04-03-13 03:26 PM
    The radios will adjust power based on signal strength, so if you have a strong wifi signal, it will use less power.

If you are away from wifi, and have a weak signal, the cell radio will keep searching for a stronger signal, using up more battery. If you are close to the cell tower, it should also use less power.

One of the issues I had with my Android device was roaming. If I was outside of my carrier's network, the phone would constantly search for its "Home" network. I felt like I could literally watch the phone suck juice from the battery as the meter quickly dropped towards empty.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-13 03:32 PM