I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, so please move if necessary.

I just loaded the new 7.1 update onto my 9900 and started thinking... is my home internet connection of ~$45/month necessary now? I can now easily connect my laptop to my phone's data connection anywhere in my house, as well as my PlayBook.

The only thing left to connect is my PS3 for the little bit of online gaming I do a few times per week. My worry is that the connection may not be fast enough to handle online gaming if I connect my PS3 to my 9900's Mobile Hotspot.

Has anyone tried this, or am I nuts for thinking it might be possible?
    11-30-11 09:36 AM
    I have read about people using iOS and Android using it. It is totally possible, but don't expect the best gaming experience unless you get great data speeds.
    11-30-11 09:49 AM
    Online gaming isn't so much about speed as it is about latency. I'm sure the wifi hot spot will work, but the latency will probably be quite high possibly making the online gaming quite difficult.
    kyleheney likes this.
    11-30-11 09:54 AM
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it out and see how it goes. I hate lag while playing online, so my idea might not work out. Worth a try though!
    11-30-11 10:02 AM
    def possible but laggy as **** omg MW3 is not even playable. Possibly with a Verizon LTE phone its possible with no lag, still you are gonna use up a lot of your data plan.
    11-30-11 10:38 AM
    Update:

I finally got a chance to give NHL 12 a try while my PS3 was connected to my 9900's Mobile Hotspot (Rogers is my carrier).

It worked! There is a little lag during gameplay, but it's honestly not THAT bad. I was really shocked when I was able to download roster updates, find opponents, and start an actual game just as quickly as with my home's WiFi connection.

I'm not a fan of lag at all while gaming, but I was able to play an entire game with a random opponent who didn't leave the game part way through because he was frustrated by the lag. I thought this might happen, but it didn't.

Just an FYI for anyone wondering if it works... it does! I think if the next gen technology comes around (I'm on Rogers H+ network now... I guess LTE is supposed to be quicker...?), the connection could be THAT much better. Not saying it'll ever be perfect, but here's hoping!
    00stryder likes this.
    12-13-11 07:13 AM
    this effectively makes sniper rifles useless.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-13-11 07:04 PM
    Update:

I finally got a chance to give NHL 12 a try while my PS3 was connected to my 9900's Mobile Hotspot (Rogers is my carrier).

It worked! There is a little lag during gameplay, but it's honestly not THAT bad. I was really shocked when I was able to download roster updates, find opponents, and start an actual game just as quickly as with my home's WiFi connection.

I'm not a fan of lag at all while gaming, but I was able to play an entire game with a random opponent who didn't leave the game part way through because he was frustrated by the lag. I thought this might happen, but it didn't.

Just an FYI for anyone wondering if it works... it does! I think if the next gen technology comes around (I'm on Rogers H+ network now... I guess LTE is supposed to be quicker...?), the connection could be THAT much better. Not saying it'll ever be perfect, but here's hoping!
    You opponent may have not quit because they didn't want their DNF% to increase. But I for one loath playing against people when there's lag. I'll tough it out because of the DNF% but it makes me wanna throw my controller through the TV. Keep real internet just in case I ever come up against you on NHL 12! >.<
    12-13-11 07:59 PM
    def possible but laggy as **** omg MW3 is not even playable. Possibly with a Verizon LTE phone its possible with no lag, still you are gonna use up a lot of your data plan.

As things stand I will keep my cable internet for now. However, once any carrier gets a strong reliable LTE wireless service set up where I live I will be signing up for ones of their myfi's and droping the landline altogether. It would have to have truely unlimited high speeds for a reasonalbe price though. I wouldn't pay more than 65 a month for it. When it gets there then I am in because that means we could carry the family home internet with us on trips.
    12-13-11 08:09 PM
    sounds like a very good idea... in a few years from now, I dont think todays wireless data can handle gaming :P
    12-13-11 09:28 PM
    It would make a good backup plan, but even my Telus 6 gig plan would not handle the 50-95 gig of data my family goes threw a month. Great for the road trips though, no more tethering with a USB cable in the car :P

CS
    12-13-11 09:54 PM
    It really wouldn't work, sometimes even a slow broadband connection can have an effect so by the time you get down to the far slower data rate of a mobile device you can pretty much forget it!

incidentally here`s a PS3 specific forum that would be a good source! (hope that doesnt breach any forum rules, im just trying to help out)!

PlayStation�3 - PlayStation Forum
    12-14-11 05:33 AM
    Update:

It worked on my Droid playing bf3. But cod mw lags like h3ll when you use a hard line anyway just put phone on top of my ps3
    12-14-11 06:57 AM
    I Have a 9700 and a rooted HD2 for TMO. I would run my PS3 of the HD2 3G and play Black Ops and MW3 before i got cable in my new apt. NO LAG always had my normal kills didn't see any slow down. Just watch out if you carrier throttles your data after a few gigs because you will go thru it fast.
    12-14-11 10:42 AM
    I have the new 7.1 leak on my 9900 with T-mobile and I'd give the game play a 8/10 on MW3. its plays a few matches in a row perfect then for about 5 sec it'll lag during the next but then back to playing perfect. The 2 games of madden I've played went through also so I'm confident until I'm shown otherwise. So i guess it depends on your patience with it.
    12-15-11 11:42 AM
    anyone tried the sniper rifle in halo reach? from my experience as soon as there's a lag sharpshooter dexterity takes a dive. kills-to-deaths ration suffer, you may become the laughing stock with yet-to-hit-puberty junior high kids.

BlackBerry Torch Cinema Ad - Korea - YouTube
    12-30-11 05:59 AM
    sorry to bring up an old thread... but i have just updated to os7.1 and connected to my my BB to my ps3 successfully although there is one probem... my nat type is set to restricted. is this a network issue? how to i change my settings to have my nat type on open?
    08-22-12 02:23 PM
    Expect awful speeds and to get throttled for abusing the 'unlimited data'
    08-22-12 03:07 PM
    Hi I'm new to this, I've not got a pc so can I connect my blackberry to my ps3 for online gaming
    01-03-13 02:04 PM
    Hi I'm new to this, I've not got a pc so can I connect my blackberry to my ps3 for online gaming
    If you have a Hotspot capable BB, then yes. You'd want an unlimited data plan, because online gaming will burn through a limited data bucket.
    01-03-13 05:58 PM
    Wouldnt this eat your data like it was freshly baked cherry pie?
    01-03-13 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD