I am thinking of buying an Unlocked Blackberry 8320 with WI-Fi feature. Before I make this purchase I'm hoping someone can answer a question for me. My current carrier is AT&T. I have no data plan. I wanted to use my home wi-fi router to mainly use it for voice calls on the Blackberry and maybe some data. My cell coverage at home is very poor which is the main reason i wanted to use wi-fi to kinda fill this gap. I really have no plans to use the internet or other data on the Blackberry away from wi-fi. Can I use the 8320 on my home wireless router to make calls without a data plan from AT&T. I just wanted to use my current sims card in the blackberry without upgrading my plan. I had read somewhere that AT&T blocks voice usage on wi-fi without a plan.
    Is this true. Am i wasting time buying an unlocked phone.
    Thank you
    Last edited by nickv1957; 06-25-10 at 08:52 AM. Reason: missed word
    06-25-10 08:51 AM
    AT&T has required data plans for new smartphones added since November 2009, whether purchased from them or not. They will add a data plan, whether you want one or not.

Also, AT&T does not offer UMA calling (using Wi-Fi for voice). T-Mobile does offer that feature. So if your reception in your house is poor, you will be out of luck.

For what you want to do, T-Mobile would be a better carrier than AT&T.
    06-25-10 09:03 AM
    Sorry about the typo on SIM,
    So it really does not matter which blackberry I choose to buy I will not be able to use Voice on Wi-Fi unless i upgrade my plan. Should I still consider buying the unlocked phone? I really didn't want to extend my contract right now.
    06-25-10 09:34 AM
    Sorry about the typo on SIM,
    So it really does not matter which blackberry I choose to buy I will not be able to use Voice on Wi-Fi unless i upgrade my plan. Should I still consider buying the unlocked phone? I really didn't want to extend my contract right now.
    You cannot use voice on Wi-Fi period on AT&T. They do not support it, data plan or not. I have the $30/month data plan, but cannot use Wi-Fi for voice, only for data.

T-Mobile offers Wi-Fi for voice (UMA calling). AT&T does not offer this feature period.
    06-25-10 09:46 AM
    Well that kinda bites so unless i change carriers my only other option would be to get a 3g phone and get their microcell to solve my coverage problem. What about Verizon do their wi-fi phones support voice or are they like AT&T just data on Wi-Fi.
    06-25-10 10:04 AM
    Well that kinda bites so unless i change carriers my only other option would be to get a 3g phone and get their microcell to solve my coverage problem. What about Verizon do their wi-fi phones support voice or are they like AT&T just data on Wi-Fi.
    VZW also only uses Wi-Fi on their devices that have it (9630, Storm 2, 9650) for data.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that offers Wi-Fi for voice.

VZW is going to be expensive, like AT&T. T-Mobile is cheaper. However, check to see if VZW offers better coverage.

If you have crummy coverage, you might want to investigate changing carriers, though, not buying a microcell for AT&T. It costs $150. You might be better off paying the ETF to AT&T and changing carriers.

See these articles.

AT&T to count 3G MicroCell usage against customer’s data caps Boy Genius Report

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/06/22/...llphone-tower/

AT&T Microcell 3G data services counts towards 2GB data plan
    06-25-10 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD