Okay, sorry but I don't get the PIN thing - if Al Gore turns off the internet, so no e-mail, and Verizon stops SMS, I can still communicate via PIN Messages, but only between Blackberry devices? Thanks for the help.
    11-21-07 10:22 AM
    Check out the BlackBerry Messenger threads by Trevor in the BlackBerry FAQ section (I think that's where it is). PIN messaging goes BB to BB, over RIM's BB data network.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-07 10:32 AM
    11-21-07 10:35 AM
    Thanks, Berry, I didn't have time to go look it up.
    11-21-07 12:37 PM
    Is blackberry messenger the same as a pin message?

-db

I thought they were not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-07 02:33 PM
    They are different as BB mess. is an AIM type comm. program and a PIN Mess. is more of an email format. However they use the same technology to communicate.
    11-21-07 02:36 PM
    Thanks for the information. This is what still confuses me: the RIM BB data network, that rrrebo spoke of, is it independent of my carrier? That is, my BB is connected to two networks, viz., my carrier (Verizon) and RIM, and if Verizon goes belly up (lightening strike, etc.), I can still send/receive PIN messages w/ other BBs? I hope it's not a stupid question and thanks.
    Last edited by ff_emtd; 11-22-07 at 12:41 AM.
    11-22-07 12:39 AM
    Yes, it is an independent network (to a certain extent..pin messages are small and transfer easily through any network and cell providers are required to allow that transfer in case of emerg...so even if you cant make a call or email or text PIN 2 PIN will go through fine) now and is set to work in case of emergencies as well as a disaster recovery procedure (ie..9/11), as long as RIM services are up, your BB messenger will work.

This will help you better understand, the article is old, but still the case...ignore the mobitex stuff, no longer relevant
    Still confused?...Download this audio file, it will explain it all to you.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-22-07 at 06:39 AM.
    11-22-07 06:19 AM
    Thank you so much, Bla1ze! I understand perfectly now. I'm kind of awestruck - whoever thought that up is a genius! Thanks again.
    11-23-07 12:28 AM
    No problem, glad I could clear the air for you.
    11-23-07 05:53 AM
    Nice post Bla1ze - - thought I knew nearly everything about PIN 2 PIN/B messenger, but the audio clip made interesting listening
    11-23-07 07:15 AM
    How do I send a SMS TExt to everyone on my phone? I want to do a TEXT blast is that possible on my 8830 BB?
    11-23-07 07:25 AM
    Ya I came across it on the BlackBerry Developer site, was a def download that peaked my interest, theirs LOTS of hidden things on the BB site, it's too bad you have to dig to find it, but it's understandable when you have so many options, I spend a good amnt of time just searching random things on there (yes, I have no life lmao!) in the technical support database you'd be amazed at some of the stuff you find.
    11-23-07 07:26 AM
    How do I send a SMS TExt to everyone on my phone? I want to do a TEXT blast is that possible on my 8830 BB?
    I answered this in the FIRST post you asked this in...lets try not to cross post please, someone will answer the question in the thread you first ask in, just may take a little bit of time, but it WILL get answered.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 11-23-07 at 07:29 AM.
    11-23-07 07:27 AM
    Yes, it is an independent network (to a certain extent..pin messages are small and transfer easily through any network and cell providers are required to allow that transfer in case of emerg...so even if you cant make a call or email or text PIN 2 PIN will go through fine) now and is set to work in case of emergencies as well as a disaster recovery procedure (ie..9/11), as long as RIM services are up, your BB messenger will work.
    Well don't forget that if your provider's towers go down or are overwhelmed then you won't have access to the RIM network.

If there is a large scale emergency SMS and PIN messages are ALWAYS better than actual telephone calls as they don't take up as many resources and a tower site can handle much more data than it can voice.
    11-23-07 08:23 AM
    So the only downside is if lighting strike, or more likely DATA OUTAGE like few days ago, the RIM is down again, then the PIN to PIN messages will be out of commission?
    02-14-08 11:05 AM
    Blaze, I saw your lead to this "old article".

At number 2 it says: "Send PIN 2 PIN messages instead of email or voice. PIN messages go directly through the Blackberry network and does route through the internet. So if there’s a catastrophic event and the internet is down, PIN messaging is your best bet. PIN messages is also typically smaller than email, so it’ll keep the strain down on the network. Another benefit is that you will know when someone receives and reads your message which is not the case with email."

On my Curve 8310, I can't tell if they have read my PIN message yet, however I can tell if they read my message through the Blackberry Messenger. I would like to figure out how to tell if someone has read my PIN message, please. Thanks.

Bucky
    02-14-08 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD