Hey,

I don't have a data plan, so I don't know much about email system. Does the normal consumer BIS not support exchange? Not bashing here, but doesn't the iphone support exchange? I bring this up since I remember hearing that the new hotmail will support exchange.

Thanks!
    05-19-10 12:39 AM
    First of all, what does the word "confuzzled" mean??

Secondly, no, BIS does not support Microsoft Exchange. Not directly anyway.

What exactly are you asking and what functionality are you looking for that you are not getting?

And without a data plan, it doesn't matter anyway.
    05-19-10 05:36 AM
    Me confuzzled too
    05-19-10 08:40 AM

Secondly, no, BIS does not support Microsoft Exchange. Not directly anyway.

My company is using exchange via our hosting provider and we do have an OWA accessible system (OWA.companyname.com). I am able to utilize that addressing through the BIS to get my work mail. Syncs well. Sure, doing it this way means I cannot sync calendar and address books, but I don't really need to as I keep that all local on my device and backup regularly......
    05-19-10 09:37 AM
    Normal consumer BIS does work with exchange as long as "Outlook Web Access" is turned on. I think that's how the iPhone gets it too.

Mine is set up that way. You have to tell it it's an Exchange account when setting up the email in BIS and give it the appropriate mail server name. Watch for possible https: (secure server) DNS names as opposed to regular http: names.

Emails going to your work account will get pushed to your phone. Read them on your phone and it will get marked as read on your computer too. While changes to your delete and read status made on your phone is immediate in Outlook on your computer, such changes made in Outlook will take up to several hours to update on your phone. Also, contacts and calendar do not synchronize over the air (at least not without a paid third-party solution). For that, you have to sync by connecting directly to your work PC. Which, again, is what I do.

But, as already mentioned, if you don't have a data plan, then you don't get BIS either. They kind of go hand in hand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 09:59 AM
    My company is using exchange via our hosting provider and we do have an OWA accessible system (OWA.companyname.com). I am able to utilize that addressing through the BIS to get my work mail. Syncs well. Sure, doing it this way means I cannot sync calendar and address books, but I don't really need to as I keep that all local on my device and backup regularly......
    That's why I said "not directly". The owner of the Exchange Server has to enable OWA and not all do. And as you point out, it only works for push email.
    05-19-10 05:13 PM
    I don't have a data plan, I am planning to upgrade to one, and I just wanted to know how everything worked w/ email. Thanks!
    05-19-10 07:13 PM
    Once you have your data plan, your phone can get email from any/all email accounts. If you have an Exchange Server, you should look at BESX, a new, free version of BES for smaller companies. It will keep everything in sync between your phone and PC.
    05-20-10 08:24 AM
    Once you have your data plan, your phone can get email from any/all email accounts. If you have an Exchange Server, you should look at BESX, a new, free version of BES for smaller companies. It will keep everything in sync between your phone and PC.
    But that's not an option if the OP has no say in how the company handles it's e-mail server. If it's like my company, they just don't want to deal with Blackberry at all anymore (I think it's a mistake, but I have no say). Even the one partner that was the last die-hard Blackberry hold-out had to settle for the iPhone if the company was going to pay for it.
    05-20-10 09:35 AM
    The OP said his company uses a hosting service, it is possible that the hosting service has some kind of BES option for their customers, that might be an avenue to explore.
    05-20-10 10:40 AM
    The OP said his company uses a hosting service, it is possible that the hosting service has some kind of BES option for their customers, that might be an avenue to explore.
    The OP didn't say anything about a company nor a hosting service.
    05-20-10 11:10 AM
    Thread title changed to make more sense.
    05-20-10 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD