Hi guys,

I'm very new to the whole blackberry smartphone thing, but I recently made the switch to a Bold 9700 on Telus and I couldn't be more pleased.

Anyways, a bit of background info first. When I first received the phone and activated it, Telus made a mistake and gave me a PDA data plan rather than a Blackberry data plan. I used the phone for roughly one week with no access to data, and was able to successfully configure and connect to numerous WiFi hotspots including at home, school and work. The WiFi worked perfectly fine for web browsing, accessing the AppWorld and downloading Apps, using Apps such as ScoreMobile, and checking email.

I called Telus today inquiring why my data services were not working and they switched me over to the Blackberry Data Plan. I pulled the battery and restarted the hardware and the data plan works without a hitch. The problem now is that data seems to take priority over WiFi, and my WiFi, although it claims to be connected, will not work with any of my apps, browser or email. I've set my browser to a hotspot browser and attempted to disable the data temporarily via Manage Connections, but I continue to receive notifications that there is no network connection.

I would prefer to use the WiFi whenever it is available and reserve my data for when I have no choice, as it was working perfectly fine before. I've searched here and elsewhere online and have not found a solution yet. Most guides specify that under Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options there is an option to set WiFi to take preference, but I can't see this option under Manage Connections anywhere.

Sorry, I consider myself pretty tech savvy but these smartphones are uncharted territory for me! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    10-14-10 09:22 PM
    Options > Mobile Network > Connection Preference > Wi-Fi preferred

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-10 12:44 AM
    I've searched here and elsewhere online and have not found a solution yet. Most guides specify that under Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options there is an option to set WiFi to take preference, but I can't see this option under Manage Connections anywhere.
    From the manage connections screen, select mobile network options and it'll take you to the same place too...

10-15-10 12:47 AM
    cant find this "connection preference" too
    10-15-10 12:40 PM
    The following appears under Mobile Network Options:

Data Services: On
    While Roaming: Off

Mobile Network: TELUS
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    Network Mode: 3G & 2G

There is no connection preferences anywhere in options under either WiFi or Mobile Network. Not sure if this helps but I have Blackberry 9700 v5.0.0.442 (Platform 5.1.0.121).
    10-15-10 02:03 PM

10-15-10 02:18 PM
    All of my BB's have had this including my Torch:

10-15-10 02:23 PM
    The photo I just took of my 9700, it's running 5.0.0.351

10-15-10 02:29 PM
    This is weird..i just dont have that option =/

10-15-10 04:01 PM
    This is weird..i just dont have that option =/

I don't have that option either. Curious.
    10-18-10 08:54 PM
    I have a Torch 9800...also do not see that option.
    My Torch is ATT unlocked and being used with Tmobile

any clarification will be appreciated
    10-18-10 11:16 PM
    I have a Torch 9800...also do not see that option.
    My Torch is ATT unlocked and being used with Tmobile

any clarification will be appreciated
    My Bold 9650 running 5.0.0.975 doesn't show that option either. At least now I'm glad to confirm there must be a difference among devices or OS versions.

I'm also assuming that my Bold maybe automatically prioritizes wifi since while browsing and listening to Pandora I can turn off 3G altogether without any interruption.

11-11-10 10:05 PM
    My 9000 doesn't have this option too and I want it to be set as wifi preferred.
    11-11-10 11:12 PM
    got the answer from another thread that says that if your device doesn't support UMA, then the option will not be there.

also jiggatron, on your mobile network options, is your data services set to ON? The wifi symbol should turn white after that. And also check your services status and if you see "Blackberry Internet/Enterprise Service, connection: wifi", that means wifi has taken over.

..my 2c!
    11-11-10 11:20 PM
    just to add to the confusion....I had the connection preference option the first day I got my torch. Now I do not have it. OS is 6.0.0.246 on ATT.
    11-13-10 10:26 PM
    I do not have the preference option either. I am with ATT and I am wondering if they have disabled that option.
    11-14-10 09:42 AM
    I have AT&T unlocked bold and it does not have that option either..whats up with that?
    11-14-10 10:18 AM
    I have a torch and it also doesnt have this option
    12-13-10 01:39 PM
    What is UMA? Why some of the phones support UMA and others not?
    12-13-10 10:59 PM
    I`m using Bold 9700 OS 6.0 (2554)
    Under: Options -> Device -> Advanced system Settings -> Browser Push :
    Uncheck: Enable PUSH
    Here works fine, if that fails try to remove the IT POLICY.

Regards
    06-16-11 04:36 PM
    OP should have gone to the Telus website and pushed service books; I assume they eventually did. This configures the phone to access the BB data plan. If the phone has a Wi-Fi connection, it will route BB data traffic over Wi-Fi instead of the mobile network.

Connection Preference only affects the mobile network connection, and specifies whether the phone should connect to the carrier using cell towers or using UMA over Wi-Fi. Obviously this only applies if your carrier offers UMA. The Connection Preference option will appear if the phone has a UMA configuration.
    06-21-11 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD