With all the hubbub about the new smartwatches coming out, especially Samsung's (Which I believe will be seen as expensive, gimmicky, and unreliable) I realized that no one really knows what the hell to use one for.

My idea is to have one that's basically a watch first and foremost, followed by minor improvements that will be useful. My first thought is to meetings, where you can't really use your phone.

Design: durable metal frame that is water resistant. option of metal or leather straps
    Screen: 1.5" (or smaller) low voltage LCD that does not need the backlight on to be viewable. Maybe monochrome.
    Components: some sort of silent pulser (to get your attention without making any noise), a small chimer, and a pedometer.

This would primarily be designed to have the maximum battery life possible. You can set it so instead of your phone ringing the watch will pulse and show you who's calling, and you can dismiss or ignore the call straight from the watch (but not answer, of course). Hub icons will be displayed to show you if you have any pending notifications, with a quick preview.

Thoughts?
    Affie36 likes this.
    10-02-13 04:33 PM
    Are suggesting the watch work off the Bridge app, kind of like the PB does now? If so, I think that might really be useful.
    10-02-13 04:50 PM
    I mostly think it should be more on the compact and long lasting battery life side than on the kitchen sink side.

When it comes down to it, what do we want from a smartwatch? Nothing, because it has never been a thing. So we have to first ask ourselves what is actually useful on a daily basis? And to me it should do basic things where it wouldn't be worth it to pull your phone out of your pocket (such as meetings).
    10-03-13 01:55 AM
    BlackBerry isn't in any kind of situation to throw money into an idea that hasn't shown much of a real benefit other than being an expensive tool for people too lazy to pull their phone out of their pocket, holster, or case.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 05:12 AM