I originally posted this in the Storm2 forums, but I guess it applies to all Blackberries...

Okay, my issue -
    Gmail uses "labels" instead of "folders". That's fine, and offers some advantages.
    Now, I like to move incoming mail, using filters, into folders - which I have done for years on my POP accounts. My Gmail accounts and IMAP, and my Blackberry seem to be making this a little tricky. I love IMAP, but here is the tricky part.
    When setting up FILTERS in Gmail (actually at the web account), if I "Apply a Label" and leave "Skip the Inbox (Archive)" UN-checked, the mail on my computers winds up in both the correct labeled folder AND still in my Inbox, but DOES show up properly on my Blackberry. I don't want it both in my Inbox AND the Labeled folder on my computers. HOWEVER, if I CHECK "Skip the Inbox" when creating that filter, I get the desired results on all my desktop systems, but have to access the new messages on my Blackberry by opening the mailbox, clicking "Filter", and "All Mail", because the Blackberry seems to default to only showing new messages that are in the Inbox.

I'm not sure if there is some way to get this all working the way I would like. It seems to me the SIMPLEST way would be if there was some way to get the Blackberry to open "All Mail" on that account by default. Is that possible? I couldn't find such an option. Is there another way around it?
    05-22-10 02:09 PM
    I see your problem. I don't think that your BlackBerry and server side mailbox can be setup the way that you want. That would be sweet if it could do that, but I'm sorry, I don't think that it is possible. You will just have to leave it on the server mailbox and put it in the folder when it shows on your BlackBerry. That's what I do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 06:16 PM
    Thanks Dwayne,
    In that case, I think I will probably leave "Archive" UN-checked on my filters and deal with the dupes on my desktop systems. Once they are read, they disappear from the Inbox so, while not exactly what I would like, its not the end of the world.

05-22-10 06:45 PM
    You've posted this in a number of forums I believe. Well, Gmail does not have user created folders. It has labels which are tags. Thus you can have multiple labels/tags on anyone email. If, by a filter, you apply a tag to an email in the inbox, it will show up in the tag/label category that you created. Inbox, spam, All Mail, etc are Gmail folders. When you assign a label to an email and archive it, it will appear in All Mail and in the tag/label category that you created. If you "skip" inbox in a filter, the email will be in the folder All Mail and a tag/label will appear in the label category that you created and will not appear in the folder Inbox. True, labels are clumsy, however, the advantage come in applying multiple labels to any email. You use tags in your browser's bookmarks, right. Same thing.

05-23-10 09:14 AM
    You've posted this in a number of forums I believe.
    Please read the FIRST SENTENCE of my post.. :O
    I guess (2) is a number of forums.

Well, Gmail does not have user created folders. It has labels which are tags. Thus you can have multiple labels/tags on anyone email. If, by a filter, you apply a tag to an email in the inbox, it will show up in the tag/label category that you created. Inbox, spam, All Mail, etc are Gmail folders. When you assign a label to an email and archive it, it will appear in All Mail and in the tag/label category that you created. If you "skip" inbox in a filter, the email will be in the folder All Mail and a tag/label will appear in the label category that you created and will not appear in the folder Inbox. True, labels are clumsy, however, the advantage come in applying multiple labels to any email. You use tags in your browser's bookmarks, right. Same thing.
    What you posted is pretty much exactly what I said. I was looking for a solution to a particular problem. Really, if I could get my Blackberry to default to All Mail instead of Inbox when opened without having to select it through the Filter every time, I could pretty much get the desired results. It seems that this is not possible, however.
    05-23-10 05:08 PM
    BIS now DOES default to synching the BlackBerry main message folder with Gmail's All Mail label, assuming you have set up your Gmail account in BIS using the standard, automatic setup. If you have set it up manually as a generic IMAP account it will only synch the BB Inbox with the Gmail Inbox, just as with any standard IMAP setup.

To test this, I added a filter to Gmail to have any message with the word "TEST" in the subject skip the Inbox and just be archived. I then used another e-mail account to send myself a test message with the word "TEST" in the subject. As I expected, the message skipped the Inbox, was in All Mail, and was pushed to the BlackBerry main message folder, though it didn't show up in the separate Enhanced Gmail Plugin folder. When I read the test message on the BB, the read status was pushed back to Gmail.

So the regular message folder should have any incoming Gmail message that is not filtered to the Trash label.

So the answer is that if you want messages filtered to skip your Gmail inbox but still show up on the BlackBerry, delete and re-add your Gmail account using the default setup on BIS, and check the main message folder rather than the Gmail specific folder on the BlackBerry.
    05-23-10 05:51 PM
    Thanks. Interesting, I'll see if I can do something with that info, as I don't use the main message folder for emails, only the individual email account folders. I have 4 email accounts on my BB and try to keep everything separate. I'll do some experimenting with that.

05-23-10 06:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD