I have a netflix app on my laptop. It's available along with a whole whack of other apps for windows 8.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    Isn't that using the mobile OS on a desktop tough? I have win8 but use start is back to avoid the modern UI and apps like the plague lol
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-08-13 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Modern
    03-08-13 10:36 AM
    In a browser at least you can make it ask you every time you use it and delete the permissions you gave it as soon as you're done with it.
    But oh my Lord, that would be annoying.

SENT FROM TAPATALK 2 - Anything I say in no way represents the view of my employer, amd please do not PM me regarding account information or questions. Thanks.
    03-08-13 10:37 AM
    Isn't that using the mobile OS on a desktop tough? I have win8 but use start is back to avoid the moment UI and apps like the plague lol
    No. Windows 8 and windows phone 8 are two different os's.

03-08-13 10:37 AM
    OK. So with all apps its more to do with permissions than malicious code in the apps? There have been apps in all stores that contain malicious code if I've heard correctly.
    its partly the permissions you grant. However, with a pre-packaged app the review process should be able to ascertain whether the app is doing anything in the background that it shouldn't, such as taking and uploading all your contacts/photos etc. There is no review process for WebApps so once you grant permission (to the camera for example) it then has access to do whatever it chooses with your photos without you knowing. The review process for a Native app "should" expose any behavior like this before the app goes live. An un-reviewed app could harvest all your photos whereas a reviewed app should only be able to use photos that you select for sharing. Not the best example but still..
    kbz1960 and mikeo007 like this.
    03-08-13 10:39 AM
    No. Windows 8 and windows phone 8 are two different os's.

I know but it's the same apps, which I feel are too dumbed down with very few options and settings. Maybe they did that for the masses? It may be OK on a phone or tablet but they still have very few options and settings. I do not like the modern UI on a pc.
    03-08-13 10:41 AM
    But oh my Lord, that would be annoying.

You don't have to, only if one is that way inclined.
    03-08-13 10:42 AM
    its partly the permissions you grant. However, with a pre-packaged app the review process should be able to ascertain whether the app is doing anything in the background that it shouldn't, such as taking and uploading all your contacts/photos etc. There is no review process for WebApps so once you grant permission (to the camera for example) it then has access to do whatever it chooses with your photos without you knowing. The review process for a Native app "should" expose any behavior like this before the app goes live. An un-reviewed app could harvest all your photos whereas a reviewed app should only be able to use photos that you select for sharing. Not the best example but still..
    But some have slipped through the process in all app stores. Didn't Facebook just do something with pictures users are getting upset about now?
    03-08-13 10:47 AM
    But some have slipped through the process in all app stores. Didn't Facebook just do something with pictures users are getting upset about now?
    In the end, the reviewers are only human. They do make mistakes. But at least there's a vetting process that allows most of these malicious things to be caught.
    03-08-13 10:53 AM
    It's quite possible, as I said, nothing is foolproof, buyer beware!. I still feel safer with a reviewed app but I'm careful with the permissions I grant. Luckily on the iPhone permissions are pretty well locked down and limited when you do grant them.
    03-08-13 10:53 AM
    I know but it's the same apps, which I feel are too dumbed down with very few options and settings. Maybe they did that for the masses? It may be OK on a phone or tablet but they still have very few options and settings. I do not like the modern UI on a pc.
    It's not the same apps though. They are two very different app stores.

When you say modern UI, do you mean metro?

03-08-13 11:05 AM
    In the end, the reviewers are only human. They do make mistakes. But at least there's a vetting process that allows most of these malicious things to be caught.
    True. Just like updated virus / malware scanners don't catch everything either.
    03-08-13 11:05 AM
    It's not the same apps though. They bare two very different app stores.

But they look and act the same, no?
    03-08-13 11:06 AM
    Sorry, off topic.

Is this crappy font the font everyone was wanting on here? I don't like it either lol.
    Toodeurep and mikeo007 like this.
    03-08-13 11:07 AM
    But they look and act the same, no?
    No, the computer version behaves differently than the mobile versions.

03-08-13 02:42 PM
    No, the computer version behaves differently than the mobile versions.

Better? I hope
    03-08-13 03:04 PM
    Better? I hope
    I've never had an issue with either version, so for me it's always been fine.

03-08-13 04:31 PM
    I've never had an issue with either version, so for me it's always been fine.

Nice, I tried using the modern stuff on my lappy. Too simplistic for me and not enough control over what can be done for now or a couple months ago when I was trying them. I suppose for a weather app and simplistic things like that they are fine.
    03-08-13 04:39 PM
542 ... 202122