just wondering if the gps feature can be used through at&t to see where i am, or where i have been. if so is there a way to disable the gps? thnx for any help
    01-07-09 05:31 PM
    You pretty much have no control over the phone, its on a BES, so you are at thier mercy. They can monitor whatever they want too
    01-07-09 05:33 PM
    I would certainly be interested in knowing if it could be on the BES but not show up on your phone.
    01-07-09 05:37 PM
    Isn't there a way to set your GPS to "E911" only? I don't know how this would change GPS applications, but I think you can turn off the location function.

EDIT: In the Advanced Options>GPS you can change GPS Services to Location OFF. My Navi still worked when I did that.
    01-07-09 05:47 PM
    If the device is on BES, the IT dept can lock you from changing settings on the device
    01-07-09 05:48 PM
    LOL sounds like someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing hahah..
    01-07-09 05:50 PM
    Company's device, they pay, they have full control.
    01-07-09 05:51 PM
    they will monitor whatever they choose
    01-07-09 05:53 PM
    EDIT: In the Advanced Options>GPS you can change GPS Services to Location OFF. My Navi still worked when I did that.
    Yes this works.
    01-07-09 06:05 PM
    Isn't there a way to set your GPS to "E911" only? I don't know how this would change GPS applications, but I think you can turn off the location function.

when i go to advanced options and then to gps it doesn't allow me to change anything. i tried to use the trackball thing but it won't let me. am i doing it wrong?
    01-07-09 06:09 PM
    You cant change it if you are on BES. You dont have that capability using a company phone.
    01-07-09 06:11 PM
    when i go to advanced options and then to gps it doesn't allow me to change anything. i tried to use the trackball thing but it won't let me. am i doing it wrong?
    Again if you are on BES server, they have block you from modifying this setting
    01-07-09 06:11 PM
    Nope, your IT policy has you locked out. Your IT group will need to change it. Remember, your on their network (BES) and they can and do control your BB.
    01-07-09 06:12 PM
    Looks like no lunchtime strip clubs for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 06:24 PM
    okay, GPS..... so they can watch where you are or maybe even track where you have been, BUT, what I want to know is

can they listen and or watch to what you are doing?

There may be some legal issues here!
    01-07-09 06:41 PM
    There are no legal issues if you are using their equipment, there is no expectation of privacy. They can see all calls made/received, all sms sent/received, all PIN, everything except MMS.
    01-07-09 06:43 PM
    This thtread is a jke right?
    01-07-09 06:44 PM
    There are no legal issues, exxcept maybe one day for the company when an employee is somewhere were not supposed too, and something terrible happened, and swaid company gets sued.
    01-07-09 06:49 PM
    They can't monitor the phone if it's physically turned off.
    01-07-09 06:49 PM
    They can't monitor the phone if it's physically turned off.
    Thats very true, you can also wipe the device and they cant track/control the device either.
    01-07-09 06:50 PM
    The government does have the ability to activate the mic in your phone even when it is off (as long as the battery is in). In regards to an employer be able to do this, I'm not sure. As far as the other questions in this thread, I would error on the side of caution and say that the company can do just about anyhting they want with their hardware. That doesn't mean that they are doing all of those things, only that they can and will if they feel that it is necessary.
    01-07-09 06:59 PM
    Right about the added security (?) of the battery out. And everybody knows occasionally you have to do a battery pull on a BB.
    01-07-09 07:08 PM
    Turn down the phone and use your own. If you are a seasoned, experienced professional a company 'should' respect that.
    01-07-09 07:16 PM
    Turn down the phone and use your own. If you are a seasoned, experienced professional a company 'should' respect that.
    Partially true, however, if you then put "your" device on their BES, you are in the same boat. The phone doesn't really make the difference. It is the Enterprise (sp) Service that controls how the berry is used, and what the comapany has control/access to.
    01-07-09 07:26 PM
    The government does have the ability to activate the mic in your phone even when it is off (as long as the battery is in).
    ever see the movie When Harry met Sally and the diner scene ?

YES YES YES

that would open some eyes.
    01-07-09 07:28 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD