My company is installing a BlackBerry server in the next couple of weeks. I will probably be one of their guinea pigs... I've already found a few great programs that I installed thanks to this group!

I was wondering if some companies block the use of specific programs or not?

The main purpose for the server is so that we can check our company email etc... I hope they don't further cripple our device.

Your thoughts?

A few programs I added that I'd like to suggest or recommend to our IT Department would be (google maps, viigo, windows live, beyond 411) These are amazing... I love the ability to search and add to address book or even map etc... I think these would be beneficial to other colleagues etc...

I do work with our IT Department on some Security and Compliance related issues and was wondering if anyone knows of decent corporate blackberry company policies?

Thanks!
    08-03-08 01:24 PM
    Not sure about specific policies, but here is a good site for BES users:

BlackBerry Enterprise Server - BlackBerry Forums

BES IT Policy Reference Guide - BlackBerry Forums
    08-03-08 01:52 PM
    Depends on how they set up their firewall. The way my companies fire wall is setup (I am no IT guy, so I am not sure what they did) There are several programs I can't run, like Empower products. The program returns an error stating my firewall will not allow it to run. Hope this helps.
    08-03-08 02:04 PM
    Companies usually have pretty tight restrictions on applications for company devices. My guess is that most of the applications you mentioned, will probably be blocked and you won't be able to install them. BES is the best thing about Blackberry. The only drawback is the strict policies enforced by the employer.
    08-03-08 02:46 PM
    Every company is different. Also be leary of what kind of control they have over your device. I am pretty sure a BES Admin can set it up where all of your emails,sms/mms,bb messenger im's are LOGGED, also your call logs...

big brother may be watching
    08-03-08 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD