The company I work for recently announced that, due to cost pressures, it is implementing a low cost approach to everything, including phones. So the company announces that it will only provide the cheapest phones on the market for the time being, those being a couple of older Blackberries.

So what image does that give to Blackberry? Companies are treating them like cheap garbage, which dilutes their value in the eyes of the users.

I know RIM can't do anything about that, short of discontinuing all older BBs. But let's just say that people here at work are not too happy with a BB that came out 2 years ago or older (we still offer the Bold 9000, for example, which can barely do anything on the internet). Many of them are deciding to get a personal iPhone or Android because of the perception that BBs are slow and buggy. But that's only because they have much older devices!!! Come on!!!

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but policies like these can only hurt RIM in general due to bad perceptions of their phones. Ah well...
    02-17-12 08:46 AM
    Maybe I missed it, but Are they supporting BYOD?
    I would at least be glad it's an older BB than a "dummy phone" or the like.
    If it is BYOD, would you take that leap and in fact use your own?

I would also think that unless your company is really, really well known to the point of their preferred devices, it won't go any further than people being vaguely aware that they are a BB company (I am of course speaking on public perception.) For those of you working there, no, I don't think this kind of horses*it would do RIM much good and that is of course a shame.

At any rate, best of luck.
    02-17-12 08:51 AM
    Sounds to me like you guys have to colectively talk to you management and say that you wouldn't mind pictching in for device upgrading. Go 50-50 and get BB7s or if theyr willing to go with 'bring your own device' policy
    02-17-12 09:10 AM
    The company I work for recently announced that, due to cost pressures, it is implementing a low cost approach to everything, including phones. So the company announces that it will only provide the cheapest phones on the market for the time being, those being a couple of older Blackberries.

So what image does that give to Blackberry? Companies are treating them like cheap garbage, which dilutes their value in the eyes of the users.

I know RIM can't do anything about that, short of discontinuing all older BBs. But let's just say that people here at work are not too happy with a BB that came out 2 years ago or older (we still offer the Bold 9000, for example, which can barely do anything on the internet). Many of them are deciding to get a personal iPhone or Android because of the perception that BBs are slow and buggy. But that's only because they have much older devices!!! Come on!!!

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but policies like these can only hurt RIM in general due to bad perceptions of their phones. Ah well...
    Honestly i don't see what the problem is. If the older bb's can get your job done why not save money and purchase them?

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    02-17-12 09:44 AM
    Honestly i don't see what the problem is. If the older bb's can get your job done why not save money and purchase them?

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly. Chances are your company is like most other companies out there. They don't care about the web browsing capabilities of the device they give you, they don't care about the apps the handset can run, or if it's the newest model available. They want you to get phone calls, and get e-mails, that's about it. They aren't going to buy brand new 9900's, iPhone 4S's, and the like just to have the newest thing, they're going to buy what's affordable to get the job done. For my company, that's the Curve 9300, which they switched to after they could no longer get the 8310. A couple regional managers got Bold 9700's, and that's only because AT&T was looking to offload some refurbs for a cheap price.

It's all about keeping costs down. I don't think it reflects negatively on RIM at all. If they bought iPhone 3G's, would that look bad on Apple?
    02-17-12 10:09 AM
    Buy shares in your company, then see how you feel about them issuing cutting edge phones to all and sundry.
    02-17-12 10:16 AM
    My thoughts exactly. Chances are your company is like most other companies out there. They don't care about the web browsing capabilities of the device they give you, they don't care about the apps the handset can run, or if it's the newest model available. They want you to get phone calls, and get e-mails, that's about it. They aren't going to buy brand new 9900's, iPhone 4S's, and the like just to have the newest thing, they're going to buy what's affordable to get the job done. For my company, that's the Curve 9300, which they switched to after they could no longer get the 8310. A couple regional managers got Bold 9700's, and that's only because AT&T was looking to offload some refurbs for a cheap price.

It's all about keeping costs down. I don't think it reflects negatively on RIM at all. If they bought iPhone 3G's, would that look bad on Apple?
    It may be that the company does care about the web browsing capabilities and the apps the handset can run, e.g., Facebook and Twitter, and just because of loss of productivity. Perhaps the company wants to avoid employees posting erroneous or libelous statements or disclosing confidential information on those sites using company handsets.
    02-17-12 11:00 AM
    The problem is that they don't quite get the job done, especially since many of our technical and field people rely on speedy access to secure parts of our website for customer data, specs, etc. The phones are so slow that most of us simply give up and wait until the end of the day to send the data to customers, and this is a big loss in productivity and speed, especially when competitors walk in with shiny new Bold 9900 and iPhones and can zip through their databases (and the other problem is that our company will not allow any access on personal phones, so we can't go that route).

But yeah, sure, if I want to read an email, an older BB will do fine. But I need to do much more than that on my mobile when responding to customers, I need fast web access, I need the phone to be stable while multiple apps are open, and I just don't have that with an older BB. And for many people at work, that translates to , "All BBs are junk".
    02-17-12 11:30 AM
    The problem is that they don't quite get the job done, especially since many of our technical and field people rely on speedy access to secure parts of our website for customer data, specs, etc. The phones are so slow that most of us simply give up and wait until the end of the day to send the data to customers, and this is a big loss in productivity and speed, especially when competitors walk in with shiny new Bold 9900 and iPhones and can zip through their databases (and the other problem is that our company will not allow any access on personal phones, so we can't go that route).

But yeah, sure, if I want to read an email, an older BB will do fine. But I need to do much more than that on my mobile when responding to customers, I need fast web access, I need the phone to be stable while multiple apps are open, and I just don't have that with an older BB. And for many people at work, that translates to , "All BBs are junk".
    If your technical and field people cannot get their work done because the devices are inadequate and your competitors can because their devices are, then it would appear your company's management is penny-wise and pound foolish. Like a football coach, management does not play the game; the coach/management is supposed to put his players/people in the position that allows them to win. If the coach/management cannot, the opposite of "win" is the result.
    02-17-12 11:44 AM
    I agree with the OP. RIM should discontinue their older models.

When a company decides to cut costs they distribute 4 yr old BBs which leave a lasting impression on the employees and they assume that all blackberrys are like the old BBs their company handed out. This makes for bad marketing.

Thing is RIM has tried to be enterprise friendly but the market has moved on. The enterprise is no longer loyal to RIM. They have come up with BYOD etc. So RIM should stop bending over to enterprise and take away their old lineup. If a company wants to deploy BBs they should only have a choice of new BB 7 devices.

RIM needs to fight the consumer battle and it won't help matters if companies are allowed to deploy OS 5 devices in this day and age.

The most strident critics of BBs are OS 5 and older users. Cater to the consumers now. The world has changed after the iPhone.
    02-17-12 11:57 AM
    If your technical and field people cannot get their work done because the devices are inadequate and your competitors can because their devices are, then it would appear your company's management is penny-wise and pound foolish. Like a football coach, management does not play the game; the coach/management is supposed to put his players/people in the position that allows them to win. If the coach/management cannot, the opposite of "win" is the result.
    I do not disagree with you. These management decisions were made very, very high up. But these guys also don't know the daily routines of technical and field people, so for them, "just use your laptop" is good enough.

It sucks to feel helpless.
    02-17-12 12:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD