Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
11-23-15 09:12 PM
45 12
tools
    This pretty much sums up my feelings about the app ecosystem:

Why I Hate Apps | Fox Business
    11-20-15 12:23 PM
    He lists several apps that he uses on a regular basis, though. It sounds like he really like Scrabble, the weather app, the NFL, and the one that monitors the traffic in California. Even an app-hater needs a few apps.
    11-20-15 12:32 PM
    He should buy a BB10 phone then.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-15 12:38 PM
    I'm pretty much in agreement with this as well. I really get a kick out of all the fitness apps, heart rate monitors etc. I keep myself very fit, don't need any of these apps. I see people screwing around, setting up these apps, updating them, primping and pausing to get them JUST right. Meanwhile I'm getting my workout done. Oh and in case no one knows about this, you don't actually need a watch or a band to get fit and keep track of your heart rate. I notice, believe it or not, that without a fitbit I can usually tell if my heart rate is increasing when I exercise. OK, time for me to take a blast from the fitness app fanatics!
    11-20-15 12:41 PM
    I'm pretty much in agreement with this as well. I really get a kick out of all the fitness apps, heart rate monitors etc. I keep myself very fit, don't need any of these apps. I see people screwing around, setting up these apps, updating them, primping and pausing to get them JUST right. Meanwhile I'm getting my workout done. Oh and in case no one knows about this, you don't actually need a watch or a band to get fit and keep track of your heart rate. I notice, believe it or not, that without a fitbit I can usually tell if my heart rate is increasing when I exercise. OK, time for me to take a blast from the fitness app fanatics!
    You don't need to go to a gym to keep fit also, which I assume is where you see this. So I guess we don't need gyms either.
    skstrials, Tre Lawrence and Rello like this.
    11-20-15 01:43 PM
    Sorry, but that's totally short sighted.

He mentions "necessities like browsing, email, messaging, contacts and calendar.". I agree all of these are necessities, but he's left out the one I live and die by - Tasks, which is a key part of Outlook on the desktop. Then there's the issue of HOW these appps work. What if the "necessities" as provided in the OS don't work the way I need them to? I have a very specific Task/Time management process I follow. I have yet to find a task management app that works the way I want to as they are delivered native. It's always a 3rd party app that delivers for me.

The app argument is an old one - we need apps. Smartphones are computers. Computers need apps. Imagine if you could only use the apps shipped with your PC or Mac, and there was nothing else available? You'd be pissed, and the value you get from your device would be nowhere near what it could be.

- R.
    11-20-15 01:45 PM
    You don't need to go to a gym to keep fit also, which I assume is where you see this. So I guess we don't need gyms either.
    Don't belong to a gym either---I see this when I am outside running or walking. Pretty low tech disappointment for you there, sorry. Oh and I do push-ups, stretching and rope exercises in my basement. Doesn't take any fancy equipment, you are right about that.
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-20-15 01:49 PM
    Don't belong to a gym either---I see this when I am outside running or walking. Pretty low tech disappointment for you there, sorry. Oh and I do push-ups, stretching and rope exercises in my basement. Doesn't take any fancy equipment, you are right about that.
    A basement? Luxury. When I was a lad if we were lucky we got to exercise in the snow while father beat us with a stick.

You young people don't know you are born.
    11-20-15 01:56 PM
    Good for you if you don't want one. It's been found that bands can help with motivation and staying on track. Getting those milestones that challenge and reward has been proven to benefit over non-band exercisers. There's additional benefits, but I cant argue with anyone who works well with KISS method.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 02:03 PM
    I do the same. I did buy a nice rowing machine for the winter months though. I find the whole gym phase quite funny, but it works for some people.
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-20-15 02:03 PM
    I'm pretty much in agreement with this as well. I really get a kick out of all the fitness apps, heart rate monitors etc. I keep myself very fit, don't need any of these apps. I see people screwing around, setting up these apps, updating them, primping and pausing to get them JUST right. Meanwhile I'm getting my workout done.
    Where do you see people doing this if you don't belong to a gym and workout from home? Are people in your basement using apps to workout?

And you're missing the point of a lot of these apps. For many, they are motivation to improve their health. If they see that they burned X amount of calories then its motivation for them to continue to exercise even though they might not be seeing results yet. These apps also give people different ways to exercise as a way to keep their workouts interesting instead of doing the same things over and over again.
    11-20-15 02:11 PM
    This pretty much sums up my feelings about the app ecosystem:

Why I Hate Apps | Fox Business
    Lol, he doesn't like apps but uses them, wow.

The beauty with an ecosystem with many apps is that there is always something for everyone.

There are apps that can help spend more time with family, friends etc... E.g. when the power goes out my friends and I love playing Heads Up! (the game they play in Inglorious Bastards, theres an app for that )

Its not about having apps, its about having a great balance of them, and moderating your usage, much like ANYTHING else in life e.g. work, alcohol, other substancer.
    TGR1, Elephant_Canyon and MikeX74 like this.
    11-20-15 02:21 PM
    Where do you see people doing this if you don't belong to a gym and workout from home? Are people in your basement using apps to workout?
    Have you ever been walking or running, then come across someone hunched over, screwing around with a device, constantly stopping and checking etc etc. In the summer months, I frequent a park with a circuit, and quite often see someone repeatedly fiddling with a device while I jog on by----then again on the second time around etc. I just prefer to get ON with the job at hand. I realize some people may need motivation, or encouragement or info about their exercise, each to his own, I guess. I don't need a device to COUNT calories--I know that I am burning them. Oh, Oh, Oh, I just burnt off 5.72375 more calories typing this.
    11-20-15 02:54 PM
    I do the same. I did buy a nice rowing machine for the winter months though. I find the whole gym phase quite funny, but it works for some people.
    Yeah, my next door neighbor has a gym membership and by the time he dresses up, gets in the car, drives to the facility, waits for a specific machine etc etc., I`ve had my workout, pretty much. I kid him about this all the time, but it`s all in good fun.
    11-20-15 02:58 PM
    Amen! Now that guy deserves a free Passport Silver Edition!

www.missminimalist.com
    In case you're interested in owning less stuff.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 03:14 PM
    Have you ever been walking or running, then come across someone hunched over, screwing around with a device, constantly stopping and checking etc etc. In the summer months, I frequent a park with a circuit, and quite often see someone repeatedly fiddling with a device while I jog on by----then again on the second time around etc. I just prefer to get ON with the job at hand. I realize some people may need motivation, or encouragement or info about their exercise, each to his own, I guess. I don't need a device to COUNT calories--I know that I am burning them. Oh, Oh, Oh, I just burnt off 5.72375 more calories typing this.
    Duly noted.

Even though I don't usually stop midway to check the phone, but there usually is a delay in getting started a jog or bike ride calling up the app, waiting for the satellites to sync (takes longer on the q5 with Casca for some reason), getting the music cued up, untangling the headphones, and then carefully putting the phone in the arm band and putting arm in.

Much simpler in the past with my tiny SanDisk mp3 player clipped to my shirt and not caring how far that I ran, as long as I was tired at the end, it was good. But now, I just need to know how far I ran, even though I don't really care 10 minutes after I'm done.

Thanking Providence that Strava isn't in BlackBerry World or I would probably be wasting even more time.....

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-20-15 05:38 PM
    Guys, everyone works out in their own way (or not). There's no point in making fun of people who do things differently or in feeling superior to them.

Some people are self-motivated and don't need anything to get them fit. Some people spend time in the gym lifting weights or whatever. Others put on their fitness trackers and walk/run/bike. To each his own. You work out your way and just let other people work out in their own way.

How does their choice to use a tracker affect anyone else? If they need a phone that supports the tracker, then that's great too.

Their money, their time, their choice!

To address the OP:

I think the reporter has a point. Still, similarly to fitness trackers - different strokes for different folks. I can live with just email/news/and phone services, but my teenaged daughter likes more apps. I wouldn't use them, but I'm not going to judge her for wanting them.

I look forward to the day where most apps are HTML5 - then my Passport will suddenly have an 'app ecosystem' again.
    Last edited by yohannrjm; 11-20-15 at 09:04 PM.
    11-20-15 08:47 PM
    Oh! And I'll admit to using a Garmin GPS watch. I like tracking my runs and rides. I used to run and ride before I got one, and now I run and ride while using one to track my workout.

The main thing the watch does for me is to keep track of my monthly miles, so that I can go further in the next month. I like having my Garmin watch.
    11-20-15 08:50 PM
    Exactly.

Don't really need a smartphone, cars, air conditioning or any other trappings of first works opulence to survive.

Nice to have though, no? Just like apps.
    yohannrjm likes this.
    11-20-15 09:16 PM
    Agreed and couldn't have said it better.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 09:58 PM

And you're missing the point of a lot of these apps. For many, they are motivation to improve their health. If they see that they burned X amount of calories then its motivation for them to continue to exercise even though they might not be seeing results yet. These apps also give people different ways to exercise as a way to keep their workouts interesting instead of doing the same things over and over again.
    Looking in the mirror is enough motivation for most to keep fit. But to each their own.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    11-20-15 10:01 PM
    Looking in the mirror is enough motivation for most to keep fit. But to each their own.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, hence the explosion of fitness apps and wearables. It's obvious looking in the mirror is what motivates people.
    11-20-15 10:06 PM
    Yes, hence the explosion of fitness apps and wearables. It's obvious looking in the mirror is what motivates people.
    Agreed but some are saying that the apps and wearables are what motivates people. They're just a tool to assist.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 10:13 PM
    A tool is a tool is a tool.

If one needs an app for motivation, fantastic. There are much worse motivators.
    11-20-15 10:35 PM
    Exactly.

Don't really need a smartphone, cars, air conditioning or any other trappings of first works opulence to survive.

Nice to have though, no? Just like apps.
    It's all about choice. We don't need a lot of things but choice allows us to make individual decisions.
    11-21-15 06:38 AM
45 12