I truly hope they change the Windows 8 UI.

Windows 8 is enough for me to want to look at Linux again, I run a dual boot Win7/Win8 and can not find a single thing I like about Windows 8.
    IF it was on a tablet I could like it a bit more, but keyboard/mouse navigation sucks
    I don't like Metro UI so I am staying far away from it. Possibly use a Windows 8 tablet but I highly doubt it.
    12-17-11 12:57 PM
    A very Stupid idea

To redevelop all of RIM's back bone business would take longer to launch a Windows 7 Based phone than to get QNX off the ground.

BES/BIS revenue was over 20% of the revunue this quarter, do you really want to give up 20% of your revenue stream?

It is posts like this that are idiotic, those who don't understand the business model behind BlackBerry nor the technology and think you can just throw a switch and run a new OS. These things don't happen fast, and legacy support is required when you have a 75million user base. or you cut off the leg to save the foot.
    so many people fail to understand this...
    12-17-11 01:34 PM
    The Android player will not save BB. It will only play a limited amount of Android apps. BB has to see the big picture.
    You do understand eventually all Android apps will be available.
    That is what they are working on and will Help RIM in so many ways
    for the app hungry consumers.
    12-17-11 01:37 PM
    Unless the BB phones run the Android OS I dont see how that is possible through an "Android Player" to run ALL Android apps?
    12-17-11 01:42 PM
    Doesn't the Android player limit certain functions of apps? Doesn't the Android player only allow for one app to be open or viewed, basically killing the great multitasking UI of the PlayBook natively?
    12-17-11 01:52 PM
    Doesn't the Android player limit certain functions of apps? Doesn't the Android player only allow for one app to be open or viewed, basically killing the great multitasking UI of the PlayBook natively?
    In its existing iteration YES it does, that doesn't mean they can't continue to expand upon it,

Also fortunately the way Android works, the "Android Player" can be as much an Android OS inside of the player
    12-17-11 02:03 PM
    In its existing iteration YES it does, that doesn't mean they can't continue to expand upon it,

Also fortunately the way Android works, the "Android Player" can be as much an Android OS inside of the player
    Yea I am talking about for now, not future. I expect it to last like that for a little bit while they hopefully just focus on getting BB10 ready. After that go balls out and make the Android player more integrated.
    12-17-11 02:12 PM
    But I want GOOD apps, not crappy, malware infested, add pushing apps.

Besides, will we have to agree to Google's Terms of Service ? Will this keep developers from developing 'real' BB apps ?
    12-17-11 03:15 PM
    The main focus of the article was not "RIM needs to adopt WP7"...it was that RIM is nearing the end as a viable company in the smartphone/tablet arena. This opinion is shared by a majority of analysts, and is based on very real facts, trends, and projections. They simply said a potential option that might be a last-ditch effort to save the company would be to adopt an existing ecosystem, giving WP7 as a candidate. And it was not the CNN writer that made this statement, it was a quote from an analyst with Evercore Partners.

Just keepin' it real...the fact is that leadership is the problem, and they will not survive if things continue status-quo...that much is crystal clear.
    eth555 likes this.
    12-17-11 06:14 PM
    Unless the BB phones run the Android OS I dont see how that is possible through an "Android Player" to run ALL Android apps?
    True, all Android apps probably won't be on BB, but most of them might. Since Android is open-source, RIM has the complete access to the source code, and can make a completely or almost completely compatible player for the apps. All they have to do is take the calls the program does and pretty much use the player to just run the call in the way the BB does that call. Same works vice versa where the player takes the BB call and converts the call into the way the program runs it. Of course it comes down the the devs to recompile their apps using whatever RIM provides.
    Last edited by blue_k; 12-17-11 at 06:59 PM.
    12-17-11 06:53 PM
    But I want GOOD apps, not crappy, malware infested, add pushing apps.

Besides, will we have to agree to Google's Terms of Service ? Will this keep developers from developing 'real' BB apps ?
    You don't have to accept Google's terms of service unless you use their particular APIs (the ones not part of the open Android) or offer the app in their store.

So if RIM can improve the Android player, then that opens a viable choice for a lot of apps. There are apps and developers for which HTML5 is way too clunky. But Android works for those apps.

I'm not sure this is RIM's best long term interest, but it would help developers and users short term at least.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-17-11 at 06:59 PM.
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    12-17-11 06:55 PM
    That would be a bigger mistake than when Microsoft invested $150,000 to apple to save them from closing.(huge mistake for Microsoft in the upcoming years)
    12-17-11 09:07 PM
    I like Tablet OS way better than ios, Android, or winblows. if you like em go buy them and join a forum that supports them, but RIM is too heavily invested in qnx now and trying to secure and make all of the things that make a blackberry what it is would take even longer if they switched to android or wp7.
    12-17-11 09:54 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of WP7, but it doesn't belong on a BlackBerry. They need to stay with a unique OS or they'll just end up lost in the crowd.

If QNX doesn't work out they could always experiment with WebOS. It's a very capable OS that could compete with Android and iOS. The only reason it failed so bad for Palm and HP was because of the awful hardware that it was installed on. (Pre, Pre2, Pre3, Pixi, Veer)
    12-18-11 12:15 AM
    If QNX doesn't work out they could always experiment with WebOS. It's a very capable OS that could compete with Android and iOS. The only reason it failed so bad for Palm and HP was because of the awful hardware that it was installed on. (Pre, Pre2, Pre3, Pixi, Veer)
    I had a Pre2. What a great OS. Sadly, the company essentially folded before our 2 year contract was up and we ended up paying an ETF on that line.

I know a lot of very talented developers who would have jumped in with two feet if RIM had bought Palm. WebOS was mature, written by respected developers who really knew what they were doing, and had pretty good tools as well.

That would have been a much better purchase for RIM. I know QNX is Canadian, so that might have been a factor for RIM. But they ended up buying just the seeds of a project in QNX, when WebOS is a completed stack, with a well thought out UI framework, dev tools, docs, integration tools, the whole 9 yards out of the box.
    12-18-11 12:30 AM
    That would have been a much better purchase for RIM. I know QNX is Canadian, so that might have been a factor for RIM. But they ended up buying just the seeds of a project in QNX, when WebOS is a completed stack, with a well thought out UI framework, dev tools, docs, integration tools, the whole 9 yards out of the box.
    Or it could be that QNX is the most advanced and capable mobile os around. WebOS had a nice UI, but little else worth talking about.

I could go on and on just about the advantages a micro kernel architecture offers over the monolithic kernel (Linux, in WebOS's case) in the mobile space, but you likely already know or have the background necessary to find out yourself.

Of course, that's just for starters. Do some reading up on QNX, and you'll very quickly find out why it represents the future of mobile computing; setting a new standard that neither iOS nor Android are likely to match for years to come.
    12-18-11 05:58 AM
    And how exactly is RIM supposed to compete in North America with QNX when the app selection and developer support is horrendous? Maybe make Windows or Android phones for North America and keep the old platforms for other less competitive markets. There is not a easy solution but I am sure that QNX will no elevate BB in North America without a eco system.
    If new QNX phones and playbook are able to perform, web wise, nearly identical to a standard desktop, using the Cloud, then who really cares about Apps? Maybe I'm old school, but weren't Apps simply created for older smart phones to substitute for lack of full browser function and tiny memory. Yes, Apps can make money, but I honestly haven't seen many Apps worth having, let alone pay for, maybe it's my older age and these little gimic time killing Apps just don't trip my trigger. Maybe RIMs next marketing ploy after getting QNX phones and playbook is to say, yes we have Apps, we prefer to focus on quality Apps, and no not just adding in Apps to say we have a trillion Apps, (mainly junk) and then say, with our OS you don't need Apps to have a complete web experience, but we do also have quality Apps that people actually use and need!
    12-18-11 07:15 AM
    In terms of UI WP7 is the best I've seen!!! It is just sexy
    12-18-11 11:28 AM
    I wonder how that would look. Really would like to see it on the 9900. But for the Torch Series, it would just be awesome!
    12-18-11 11:30 AM
    Or it could be that QNX is the most advanced and capable mobile os around. WebOS had a nice UI, but little else worth talking about.

I could go on and on just about the advantages a micro kernel architecture offers over the monolithic kernel (Linux, in WebOS's case) in the mobile space, but you likely already know or have the background necessary to find out yourself.
    Hurd was a cool kernel, too. Didn't really go very far, did it? Microkernels come with their costs as well.

But the bigger issue is that RIM did not buy an OS. They bought a kernel. The UI framework is something RIM is now having to scramble to make in just 2 years. WebOS would not have required all of that work. Palm had actually finished the whole stack.

Imagine if your family car broke down and you urgently needed a new vehicle. Do you go to the parts department and buy the most awesome high tech engine block and then bring it home and figure out how to build a whole car around it? Or do you just buy a new car? I would suggest the latter is a much more practical solution, especially if you're already behind to start with.

It would be interesting to see a kernel like QNX applied to phones. But that might have been a better long term project for the Android team or even a Microsoft team. RIM is not a software company, I think a CEO should have realized that and not taken on such a huge project.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-18-11 at 11:43 AM.
    12-18-11 11:40 AM
    CNN is a corporate shill of a network has close to zero journalistic integrity at the moment.

I'd sooner trust my neighbors' 3 year old kids then that infotainment trash.

Their comments on what RIM should do is laughable.
    Lead_Express likes this.
    12-18-11 06:24 PM
    I really like the Playbook OS. It is light years ahead of BBOS. To suggest that RIM adopt WP7 is idiotic at best. If BB10 is anything like the PB, I am sold hook, line, and sinker.
    12-18-11 08:38 PM
    It doesn't need, but if it did it would be awesome!!!!!!!
    02-03-12 02:04 PM
    If anyone is watch/reading CNN for computer, network, smartphone, cars, food, politics, medical, or any other advise, you've selected the WRONG organization for help and guidance.

I didn't realize anybody paid any attention to the station/website anymore.
    02-03-12 02:18 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD